annual interruptus

Old February 21st 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default annual interruptus

So, on to week #3... "I wanna go flying!" sob, sob

I was going to post about our lovely flight to St. Louis this past
weekend (just got back today)...but your post convinced me that this
would amount to cruel and unusual punishment....

:-)

Sorry, Denny -- I feel your pain. Mine starts in March.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 22nd 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

Sorry, Denny -- I feel your pain. Mine starts in March.
--
Jay Honeck

Thanks Jay, it's not a real bad pain, more like a 3 year old throwing
a tantrum because he can't have candy for supper...

Anyway, the new teflon engine hoses are on... We re-installed the
radios yesterday... The squawk list is all tick marked... He is going
to test run the engines today and vacuum the floor and wash the
belly... Should be good to go for tomorrow afternoon - cept we are
spoze to have a wind/rain storm......

He has a really nice F model Aztec he is trying to sell me - his Part
135 machine... Ahhh temptation, get thee behind me!

Our Governor, Ms. Granholm, is busily working up a new set of service
taxes for airplane mechanics, hair dressers, doctors, etc., in order
to fund her spending programs now that the auto industry has ceased
being the states cash cow...

Steve has recently laid off his part 135 pilot, his mechanic, and his
two flight instructors, all his planes are up for sale and I suspect
he is 99 & 44/100% of the way to GONE - to Arizona probably.... He
says her new taxes are the last straw...
Along the way, he has lost 20 pounds from having to do everything
himself now...

denny

Old February 22nd 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Steve has recently laid off his part 135 pilot, his mechanic, and his
two flight instructors, all his planes are up for sale and I suspect
he is 99 & 44/100% of the way to GONE - to Arizona probably.... He
says her new taxes are the last straw...
Along the way, he has lost 20 pounds from having to do everything
himself now...

That's awful. My sister lives near Lansing, MI, and she regales me
with tales of that state's fiscal woes nearly every week. She's a
retired school teacher who is worried because their pension fund has
been raided by the state in order to fund...who knows what.
Technically, her income is now vapor-based.

(Of course, we could debate the merits of a system that allowed her to
retire -- with full benefits -- at age 55, but perhaps we shouldn't?)

It sure sounds like the Michigan Gummint is having a hard time
learning to live within its (somewhat diminished) means. I suppose
that means that their GA airports will be on the chopping block soon.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 22nd 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Denny" wrote)
He has a really nice F model Aztec he is trying to sell me - his Part 135
machine... Ahhh temptation, get thee behind me!

"All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them:"

So, got a name picked out for the Aztec, yet? g

What's the difference in:

Fuel burn
Speed
Useful load
Speed
Avionics/radios
Speed
Comfort
Insurance
Etc.

Mont-out-of-the-blackness

Old February 22nd 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

On Feb 22, 3:10 pm, "Montblack" Y4_NOT!...
wrote:
("Denny" wrote)

He has a really nice F model Aztec he is trying to sell me - his Part 135
machine... Ahhh temptation, get thee behind me!

So, got a name picked out for the Aztec, yet? g
Mont-out-of-the-blackness

Ahhh jeez Monty.... You are about as helpful as an alcoholic-on-the-
wagon who has drinking buddys who tell him "just one won't hurt"....

What's the difference in:

Fuel burn
Speed
Useful load
Speed
Avionics/radios
Speed
Comfort
Insurance
Etc.

in order:
If ya gotta ask ya can't afford it, pilgrim...
Lots faster than Fat Albert the Apache - 165 knots typical
Whatever you can get the doors closed on (which is why they are used
as lobster haulers)
Like sitting in your easy chair at home, and you will not rub
shoulders...
Well, it's a twin - but not near as bad is if I were ASEL wanting my
first twin...
It's loaded, Radar and a GNS430, alcohol props, etc...
Gets you respect on the ramp at strange airports... Good paint..
Average interior...

denny

Old February 22nd 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim B

Go for it Denny... the ability to fill the tanks, seats, and baggage is
awesome, and you'll love the extra power. The center seats are on rails, so
if the rear bench is empty, the center passengers can slide the seats back
and almost disappear from view! I did my initial MEL in an Apache and my
first reaction with the Aztec was HOLY CRAP! )) There is a big difference
between dual 150/160's to dual 250's. After the carburetor fun that you had
last year, you'd probably love the injected engines.

We plan for 160ktas in our C model at 23"/2400 rpms burning 25gph between
8000 and 10,000 MSL. We've have found those figures to be quite accurate.
Ours will true at 180kts, but at 2500rpms, the extra noise and fuel burn
doesn't make it very much fun.

There were two different F models with differences centered around the
horizontal stab. I'd have to do a little research to remember the
difference, anyway, the end result was that Piper changed the stab, nobody
liked it, so they changed it back to an older version.

I'll add more fuel to the fire and beg you to take it for a spin around the
patch, do some single engine work, and some short field takeoffs.... you'll
be hooked.

Jim

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 22, 3:10 pm, "Montblack" Y4_NOT!...
("Denny" wrote)

Old February 23rd 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Margy Natalie

Jay Honeck wrote:
So, on to week #3... "I wanna go flying!" sob, sob

I was going to post about our lovely flight to St. Louis this past
weekend (just got back today)...but your post convinced me that this
would amount to cruel and unusual punishment....

:-)

Sorry, Denny -- I feel your pain. Mine starts in March.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Ours is about the same time, but I'm going to suggest to Ron we do it
early. The next 3 weekends are shot for us so we might as well do it
early, while it's still cold.

Margy
Old February 23rd 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Margy Natalie

Jay Honeck wrote:
Steve has recently laid off his part 135 pilot, his mechanic, and his
two flight instructors, all his planes are up for sale and I suspect
he is 99 & 44/100% of the way to GONE - to Arizona probably.... He
says her new taxes are the last straw...
Along the way, he has lost 20 pounds from having to do everything
himself now...

That's awful. My sister lives near Lansing, MI, and she regales me
with tales of that state's fiscal woes nearly every week. She's a
retired school teacher who is worried because their pension fund has
been raided by the state in order to fund...who knows what.
Technically, her income is now vapor-based.

(Of course, we could debate the merits of a system that allowed her to
retire -- with full benefits -- at age 55, but perhaps we shouldn't?)

Jay, go spend a week in a classroom and then say teachers shouldn't be
able to retire with 30 years at full pension. The average life
expectancy of a teacher is 5 years in the classroom.

Margy (now in museum education and NOT in the classroom)

Old February 23rd 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Jay, go spend a week in a classroom and then say teachers shouldn't be
able to retire with 30 years at full pension. The average life
expectancy of a teacher is 5 years in the classroom.

Why should we pay any young person to sit around doing nothing?
Nowadays, 55 is YOUNG -- VERY young -- and there is simply no way to
make paying every 55 year old to sit around doing nothing work,
mathematically.

Unless you've found some new actuarial tool that I've never seen.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 23rd 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Margy Natalie wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]

That is a different problem and is the one that should be addressed, not
providing early retirement for teachers.

Matt

Out of annual.... A Lieberman Owning 7 October 31st 05 03:47 AM
After Annual ... [email protected] Piloting 22 August 18th 05 05:24 AM
My Annual Charles Talleyrand Owning 34 July 28th 05 01:17 PM
Off I go to help with my first annual on my C-150 NW_PILOT Owning 22 October 26th 04 11:39 PM
In for Annual Jim Weir Piloting 0 August 5th 04 07:06 PM