Speaking of Vision -- How 'bout Progressive Bifocals?

Old June 3rd 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Speaking of Vision -- How 'bout Progressive Bifocals?

"Morgans" wrote in message

I have line bifocals, and I would not want to consider anything else. The
thing is, you get to choose where the line goes on the glasses, as to how
far up on the lens the transition is placed. I also have the auto
darkening

You can pick where the progressive stuff starts as well, but I assume they
will take up more room on the lens...

I have my line pretty far down, since as a carpenter, I want to have my
far vision to be in effect without looking down, so I can see what I am
walking on while up high in the air on a beam or floor joist. There is a
trade-off, since if you get it too low, and too small, you really have to
tilt your head back very far to read a display, or read a book.

Bottom line? Personal preferences. Try some, and if you don't like it,
try the others. It's only money! g

I like the progressives (at least, as far as having bi-focals goes, eh?)

Just be careful on stairways for the first few days. (or on any beams.)

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old June 3rd 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote

I like the progressives (at least, as far as having bi-focals goes, eh?)

Just be careful on stairways for the first few days. (or on any beams.)

Yep. THAT is exactly why I went with the line option. I want to know if I
am in the close or distance part of the lens. Missed steps can be hazardous
to your health, especially if you are not in full compliance with OSHA fall
protection. g

That is ANOTHER story. I had to go get OSHA certified, and enforce all fall
protection (and other OSHA rules) fully, while teaching my students my
construction classes. Man, talk about slowing down productivity!

I guess it is worth it. I would not want to have a severely injured student
on my hands/conscience.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 3rd 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message oups.com...

So, what's the verdict from my fellow "old farts" on this group? Do
you guys wear "progressives"? Or do you prefer the "lined" bifocals?
LensCrafters has a 30 day money-back guarantee (I don't actually have
them, yet), so I can change my mind.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

The progressives work for me...It did take a few days to get used to them, and going up and especially down stairs would
throw me off until I got used to it. Used to be 20-15 'till I hit about 42, then I realized that I couldn't read the
menus in darkened restaurants, so I tried reading glasses, but the best solution has been these progressives. I have a
big fat pair for sunglasses and the more normal pair for everyday use...

Old June 3rd 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 19:17:19 -0400, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea
Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote in
::

Just be careful on stairways for the first few days. (or on any beams.)

How do you look out of the top of your progressive lenses when you're
trying to spot something on the ground directly below the aircraft?

Old June 3rd 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you guys wear "progressives"?
Or do you prefer the "lined" bifocals?

How about contact lenses (for distant vision) plus reading glasses that you
can perch on your nose to read the charts.

--Gary

Old June 3rd 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

So, what's the verdict from my fellow "old farts" on this group? Do
you guys wear "progressives"? Or do you prefer the "lined" bifocals?
LensCrafters has a 30 day money-back guarantee (I don't actually have
them, yet), so I can change my mind.

Google this forum for answers to the same question I asked three years
ago. I put off for three years getting bifocals until I no longer could.
I got the progressives and have not had any difficulties while flying
except for trying to look down out the window, as Larry pointed out.
The best answer is that it depends on your prescription. What range do
you need the correction?
In my case, I lost my very close vision (less than 9 inches). I am near
sighted, so the primary lense is for far vision. My progressive lense
does not seem to affect vision of the panel in any of the aircraft I fly
(C182R and S, C172N, Cherokee Six, Turbo Arrow, Archer, Champ, Stinson
108) day or night.
I do not use them when using the computer, but do use them to watch the
telly across the room. Looking at the section through the progressive
lense is one of those things where you learn how much to tilt your head
so that your eyes look through the proper portion of the lense.
Old June 3rd 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:

Now, of course, I've talked to a pilot friend who tells me that
progressives totally suck, and will make me nauseous in the plane,
thanks to the eternally variable prescription!

So, what's the verdict from my fellow "old farts" on this group? Do
you guys wear "progressives"? Or do you prefer the "lined" bifocals?
LensCrafters has a 30 day money-back guarantee (I don't actually have
them, yet), so I can change my mind.

Jay,

Try them, you'll either like them or hate them. I've had them about 4
years, and my first reaction was "what a piece of @#$@#$". After a few
days of thinking buying them was a mistake, things just worked with
them. (Brain / eyeball control system figured them out I guess.)
Flying with them is fine....read the chart, look for the traffic, scan
the panel....it all works.

Like you, mine were a result of not being able to read road maps and
charts. Distance was fine (with the existing glasses), the book in my
lap was not readable without taking the glasses off.

My experience is some people like them and others hate them.....doesn't
seem to be anything in between. That goes for both pilots and non-pilots.

Maybe I just wasn't ready to get lined glasses at 44. I am not heading
towards 50.....I'm not! I'm not! I'm not! :-)

Get it figured out before OSH, otherwise Mary gets to fly the approach
again!

Steve

Old June 3rd 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've had progressives for decades and wouldn't take a million dollars to go
back to bi- or tri-focals. Once you get used to them you don't even know
you are adjusting. The nausea sounds like an OWT.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been forced to face the fact that I can no longer read a
sectional chart with my current glasses. It's been getting worse for
some time, but lately I've realized that it has become downright
dangerous. (Moreso driving a car, actually.)

So, it was off to the eye doctor, who said I would definitely benefit
from progressive (the ones with no lines in the glass) bifocals. When
I asked her about flying, she said that they would be excellent for
viewing the panel (one distance) *and* the charts (another, closer,
distance).

So, I ordered them.

Old June 3rd 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I'm 47. I started noticing within the past year that it was difficult to
write in student's logbooks. Distance was fine, reading a book was fine,
reading a chart or approach plate was fine. Just writing in a logbook was
the one thing that was difficult to do. What really convinced me I had to
do something was when I went to renew my medical, and I could barely read
the eye chart.

Anyway, about a month ago, I had a pair of progressive bifocals made up. I
tried them for a few days, but just couldn't wear them. I felt like I was
swimming. Sitting at my desk (with two computer monitors on it) was a
total disaster; the second monitor is near the edge of my visual field, so
it was in the "neither reading nor distance" area on the side.

I traded them in for a pair of lined bifocals. I've had those for a week
or two, and while they're better, I'm not having much luck getting used to
them either. I tried wearing them in the plane, and found I couldn't read
the instruments.

At this point, I'm considering just getting a pair of full-lens reading
glasses and carrying two pairs around. Either that, or figure out a way to
become 37 again.