F-14 on the History Channel's "Modern Marvels"

Old November 5th 03, 04:05 PM
Mike Kanze

paradimg shifts going on soon.

With the emergence of technologies like UAV, I can already hear gears
stripping. g

One thing is for sure - change will come in ways none of us will reasonably
anticipate. I wouldn't rule out a resurgence of cockpit opportunities for
BOTH the one and two-anchor communities.

--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"When you enter the voting booth, vote for the guy you think will go to jail
last!"

- Anonymous

"nafod40" wrote in message
Doug \"Woody\" and Erin Beal wrote:

Don't take that as NFO bashing. I've got a lot of respect for B/N's,

WSO's,
and RIO's in the systems weapons and sensor supported weapons roles.

It's
great to have one guy totally focused on target acq and weapons support
leaving the pilot to flying form and avoiding the threat.

I just think that their additional utility (given current technology) in

the
air-to-air arena is limited.

I'm sure I'm going to get many responses from this one. Seriously,

folks,
not a troll.

I think the real battle of the decade is going to be how many pilots
will remain in the cockpit. There's going to be some paradimg shifts
going on soon.

Old November 5th 03, 04:09 PM
nafod40

Mike Kanze wrote:
paradigm shifts going on soon.

With the emergence of technologies like UAV, I can already hear gears
stripping. g

One thing is for sure - change will come in ways none of us will reasonably
anticipate. I wouldn't rule out a resurgence of cockpit opportunities for
BOTH the one and two-anchor communities.

I can picture a largish jet with serious knots, legs, and loiter time
taking off to do battle, surrounded by a small flock of way-smart UAVs.
a mix seems to intuitively make sense.

Old November 5th 03, 05:18 PM
José Herculano

AESA?

Someone needs to write a FAQ for this group, if there isn't one
already...:-(

That's the bells&whistles version of the APG-79 radar, that does everything
from air-to-air to air-to-ground to jamming. Needs the ACS (advanced crew
stations) to be effective.
_____________
José Herculano

Old November 5th 03, 05:19 PM
Pechs1

Jose- Looking at what an F/A-22 (single seater) and a B-2 (twin-seater) can
do, I
find it harder and harder to justify a thing like an F/A-18F. BRBR

But how ya gonna get that thing to sit off a coastline, no friendly airbase w/i
1000 miles and 'rattle the saber'???

Geeezzz, a squadron of B-2s(6) cost the same as a CV and airwing.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old November 5th 03, 05:22 PM
Pechs1

Jose- And remember that the current squadrons deploying at sea with the
F/A-18F
have rear cockpits that are barely different from the front ones... the
advanced rear cockpit is yet to fly operationaly. I don't believe the F can
turn a real advantage over the E. BRBR

Kinda like the F-15E??? No?
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old November 5th 03, 05:25 PM
Pechs1

Thomas- Yes, but the JSF will replace F/A-18Cs, also single-seaters, not the
Es and
Fs. BRBR

E's are going to replaced by JSF-no?

And something better replace the -F for night, AW strike...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old November 5th 03, 05:31 PM
Jose M. Alvarez

AESA=Active Electronically Scanned Array

"John Penta" escribió en el mensaje
On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 10:50:10 GMT, "Doug \"Woody\" and Erin Beal"
wrote:

I'd agree with you all the way up to the air-to-air mission. Most of the
Tomcat converts I know claim that the RIO sucked SA away from the

pilot...
BUT when AESA comes on line, and the folks at Boeing split up the

cockpit,
the WSO in will have plenty to do that the pilot would never be able to
handle by himself.

--Woody

AESA?

Someone needs to write a FAQ for this group, if there isn't one
already...:-(

John

Old November 5th 03, 05:41 PM
Ralph Savelsberg

José Herculano wrote:

AESA?

Someone needs to write a FAQ for this group, if there isn't one
already...:-(

That's the bells&whistles version of the APG-79 radar, that does everything
from air-to-air to air-to-ground to jamming. Needs the ACS (advanced crew
stations) to be effective.
_____________
José Herculano

And more in general stands for Active Electronically Scanned Array,
which is the name for the type of antenna/emitter group. Instead of a
mechanically swivelling antenna (with complicated waveguides and a heavy
hydraulic system to move it around) this has a flat, fixed array
consisting of multiple emitter/receiver modules. The beam is controlled
electronically and at least in theory such a radar can use multiple
modes simultaneously. In the F/A-18F (with the ACS) this could mean that
for instance the pilot would have an air-to-air mode selected, while the
NFO in the back could be using a ground-mapping mode at the same time.
A small number of USAF F-15Cs (from the 3rd FW in Alaska if I'm not
mistaken) already fly with a radar with such an antenna: a modified
version of the regular APG-63(V)1 (unsurprisingly) called the APG-63(V)2 .
The first F/A-18F fitted with the APG-79 has already undertaken its
first flight.

Regards,
Ralph Savelsberg

Old November 5th 03, 07:34 PM
José Herculano

E's are going to replaced by JSF-no?

Nope, only F/A-18A/B/C will be replaced by the F-35. Later, perhaps the
F/A-18D from the Marines as well. F/A-18E/F are to be flown in mixed
airwings with the F-35.

_____________
José Herculano

Old November 5th 03, 07:37 PM
José Herculano

But how ya gonna get that thing to sit off a coastline, no friendly
airbase w/i
1000 miles and 'rattle the saber'???

Hombre, I was playing the one-seater vs the two-seater. The Air Force birds
were for comparison in that.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing a navalized F/A-22, but I believe that will
happen, as it is said here, in the afternoon of St Never's day.
José Herculano