Updating to Flarm 6.42 seems to fail?

Old February 25th 18, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Updating to Flarm 6.42 seems to fail?

I tried updating my PowerFlarm to 6.42, expires in 11/19. It has 6.40 now, expires 2/19. It persistently does not update. The log file says it found the firmware file, confirmed its applicability, copies it to memory. But subsequently it comes up reporting 6.40, expiring 2/19. It also reports this to other things it talks to.

Anybody having this problem, and any suggestions?
Old February 25th 18, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 5:15:26 PM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
I tried updating my PowerFlarm to 6.42, expires in 11/19. It has 6.40 now, expires 2/19. It persistently does not update. The log file says it found the firmware file, confirmed its applicability, copies it to memory. But subsequently it comes up reporting 6.40, expiring 2/19. It also reports this to other things it talks to.

Anybody having this problem, and any suggestions?

There do seem to be some unexplained lines in the log:

00014.420 INFO Initiating non-interactive firmware update: force_adsb=0, force_pf=0...
00014.421 INFO Minimum F/W version for this device: 2.10
00014.454 INFO Found .FW file: PF_6_4~1.FW, 2 entry/entries
00014.454 INFO FW entry: Device=flarm2, version=6.4.2, Extended=DeviceName=PowerFLARM;TruncPartNo=C11A,C1 1E,D11A,D11E,C10A,C10E,D10E,P23E,P24E,P24A,Q24E,D1 0A;ADSBFwVer=0.31
00014.464 INFO Checking for applicability...
00014.464 INFO New candidate version: 6.42
00017.950 INFO FW entry: Device=ADS-B, version=0.31, Extended=bla
00017.950 INFO Checking for applicability...
00017.951 INFO Unsuitable device: ADS-B, skipping
00017.972 INFO Found .FW file: _PF_6_~1.FW, 0 entry/entries
00017.975 INFO No more files to check
00017.975 INFO Found .FW with highest version number 6.42 in file PF_6_4~1.FW
00017.976 INFO ADS-B: current: 0.31, required: 0.31
00017.982 INFO Bytes requested/free on internal FS: 531k/1866k
00017.989 INFO Copying PF firmware from PF_6_4~1.FW...
00018.425 INFO Allowing drivers to catch up...
00018.426 INFO Done.
00018.427 INFO ADS-B: No update necessary
00018.427 INFO Renaming FW temp file
00018.430 INFO Firmware update prepared, good to restart!
00018.430 INFO Allowing drivers to catch up...

Decides one file isn't applicable but another is?
Old February 25th 18, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 8:19:50 PM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:
[...]

I assume your flarmcfg.txt file is correct and came from the factory updater.
Old February 25th 18, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

I assume your flarmcfg.txt file is correct and came from the factory updater.

I have had luck with 3 things when the update is finicky; first, while off, disconnect any display or anything but power. Run the update, turn it off, connect the display, restart.

If that doesn't work, rename the file pf3.42.fw and try that.

As a final thing, you can do a factory reset - complete wipe. Make a flarmcfg.txt file with one line:

$PFLAC,S,DEF

then put it as the only file at the top level of the usb device. Update.

Run that, then put your normal stick in. Run that. I do about 8 PFs for my glider and the club and friends. I now, as annual maintenance, do a factory reset annually. It seems that things can get corrupt. Starting fresh works well and hasn't failed for me yet (thanks Luke for the advice on this).

Final thought - any time I have something fail on update, I destroy that USB stick. USB memory is memory that didn't make it in the big leagues (DRAM). Usually, you have no problem. I don't trust something that should work but didn't (particularly if it is old). Especially when finishing Diamond Badge and Diplomes. A stick is cheap.

Dan

I also assume your USB device is 2.0; 3.0 can be a problem.

Tom's Hardware also has a program called Check Flash you can google for to check your USB sticks. Free.
Old February 25th 18, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

jfitch wrote on 2/24/2018 5:15 PM:
I tried updating my PowerFlarm to 6.42, expires in 11/19. It has 6.40 now, expires 2/19. It persistently does not update. The log file says it found the firmware file, confirmed its applicability, copies it to memory. But subsequently it comes up reporting 6.40, expiring 2/19. It also reports this to other things it talks to.

Anybody having this problem, and any suggestions?

Wait till the season is over in October, then try again.

Old February 25th 18, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 5:15:26 PM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
I tried updating my PowerFlarm to 6.42, expires in 11/19. It has 6.40 now, expires 2/19. It persistently does not update. The log file says it found the firmware file, confirmed its applicability, copies it to memory. But subsequently it comes up reporting 6.40, expiring 2/19. It also reports this to other things it talks to.

Anybody having this problem, and any suggestions?

John

Make a FLARMCFG.TXT file with

$PFLAC,S,DEF
$PFLAC,S,CLEARLOGS

Start the PowerFlarm with only this FLARMCFG.TXT on the stick.

Wait until you have a solid green or solid red light.

Then put the new firmware on a clean formatted USB stick.

Insert power up the PowerFlarm and wait until you have a solid red (no GPS LOCK)
or a Solid Green (GPS LOCK)

You can then connect a display and check the firmware version.

Have patience nothing happens fast. Wait 5 minutes but not longer.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old February 25th 18, 07:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 7:43:34 PM UTC-8, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I'll try clearing it all out and see if it takes. Once cleared, do you do the firmware first, then a config file?
Old February 25th 18, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 10:12:22 PM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
[...]

If you try to update the PowerFlarm using a USB stick with only the firmware on it the unit will download all the flights first and it could take a long time.

That is why the cfg with $PFLAC,S,DEF $PFLAC,S,CLEARLOGS.

I do the firmware first and then your config file.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old February 25th 18, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 7:24:23 AM UTC-8, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
[...]

OK, tried that. The result is more or less the same. I confirmed that the logs are in fact erased and the config is set to defaults. The log file now shows it coming up in 6.40, finding the USB stick and file, copying it, resetting, and coming up with 6.40 again. Red light, briefly dark, then red and green flash, then dark, then red again. It will repeat at long as I let it go. I'll try a different stick next.
Old February 25th 18, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 9:06:10 AM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
[...]

Tried it with fresh USB drive. Same result. It appears I am stuck at 6.40.

The Air Vario is connected this whole time, and must be because that's what power it. The log file shows not communication with it, as the baud rates etc are not set (no config file). I guess I can make a power harness just for the Flarm and disconnect the vario, if people really think that makes a difference.