tailwheel endorsement

Old April 21st 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default tailwheel endorsement

If a student pilot takes all his training in a tailwheel aircraft
(including solo), but takes his flight test in a nosedragger, does the
newly minted private pilot need a separate tailwheel endorsement?

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
Old April 22nd 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The endorsement for solo specifies the type of aircraft and should
suffice for the specific tailwheel endorsement.

Old April 22nd 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jose" wrote in message
om...
If a student pilot takes all his training in a tailwheel aircraft
(including solo), but takes his flight test in a nosedragger, does the
newly minted private pilot need a separate tailwheel endorsement?

Why wouldn't he?

The student pilot needs the endorsement just to solo. But even if he
didn't, there's no exception allowing a pilot taking the practical flight
exam in a tailwheel airplane to get away without the endorsement. A pilot
taking the exam in a nosewheel airplane would require the same endorsement.

Pete

Old April 22nd 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The student solo endorsement is for the specific make and
model, which may be a tailwheel [conventional] airplane.
But just to be on the safe side, as part of the long list of
endorsements required by FAR 61.31, I would make the 61.31
entry and any other that applied, such as complex, high
performance or high altitude. A few lines of hand written
text and a signature don't take much time or cost very much
and could save a lot of questions later.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

om...

Old April 22nd 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

But just to be on the safe side...

Of course... but that isn't the question. It is =possible= to get all
one's training in a tailwheel, take the checkride in a nosewheel, and
not be legal to fly tailwheel aircraft due to the lack of a specific
tailwheel endorsement?

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
Old April 22nd 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose
That is one that can have even the FSDO arguing among themselves! I'd
feel comfortable with the solo endorsement and the required logbook
solo endorsement as a specific tailwheel endorsement to meet the
qualifications you refer to. Then you can get some FAA hotshot who "has
all the answers" tell me I'm all wet......and in return I'll refer it
to an FAA attorney who comes up with another opinion that agrees with
me, etc, etc.
Are you up against a particular problem with this? The student will
have to have an additional endorsement for solo in the nosewheel
aircraft as well so its kind of a moot point don't you think?
I'm still doing a fair amount of tailwheel training and recurrency
training in a variety of aircraft like Citabrias, Maule, Twin Beech,
C-185, etc. Tailwheel is what I started in over 50 years ago.
Cheers
Ol Shy & Bashful
CFII/RAM

Old April 22nd 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

yes,
t...

Old April 22nd 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I do not think that is correct.. a "student" pilot does not need all the
funny endorsements while a student.. but once graduated.. he does..

we run into this with glider students... the student endorsement does not
specify type of launch procedure.. but after the check ride.. he needs the
endorsement

BT

oups.com...

Old April 22nd 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter Duniho wrote:

The student pilot needs the endorsement just to solo.

Student pilots are exempt from the endorsement requirement since they
are "type rated" to that aircraft.

-Robert, CFI

Old April 22nd 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jose" wrote

The student will have never soloed a nosewheel. His first step into one
will be with an FAA examiner, who has decided to let him take the test in
the nosewheel aircraft.

I find it hard to believe that a competent instructor would stick a student
into a nose dragger, with no dual given - before a solo, or a checkride. It
just doesn't seem logical.
--
Jim in NC

Tailwheel units on ebay Victor Bravo Home Built 1 July 24th 05 09:47 AM
Tailwheel Crosswind Landing Piloting 32 December 6th 04 02:42 AM
Advice on flying Pitts with Haigh Locking Tailwheel Ditch Home Built 19 January 4th 04 10:18 PM
Tailwheel endorsement John Harper Piloting 58 December 12th 03 01:48 PM