Goose at FL 360????

Old November 7th 05, 01:21 AM
Mike Rapoport

Default Goose at FL 360????

http://www.eurocopter.com/everest/

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message
.. .
Skywise wrote:

From the article, "helicopters cannot fly here."

Not anymore!!! Of course, the article was written in 2000 so it
was a valid statement then.

That *record* was reported to be a hoax...

I haven't heard about any other attempts...

Old November 7th 05, 05:40 AM
BTIZ

No doubt geese ( and some other birds) can fly this high. I read
somewhere
the record was 37,900 ft . But my question is why did the aircraft only
descend to FL280? With a cracked windscreen and the risk of
depressurisation wouldnt it have been more prudent to descend to 10,000 ft
and avoid scaring the pax with the oxygen masks dropping out of the
roof?.
terry

It depends on what the aircraft operations manual says... if only the outer
pane is cracked.. descend to xxx altitude... that will depend on the
strength of the inner pane.

BT

Old November 7th 05, 03:12 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Not surprising. I was going to suggest that the O2/Hb dissociation curve
would probably be quite different, and might be adjustable with altitude.

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
k.net...

Birds also have a more efficient type of hemoglobin.

Mike
MU-2

Old November 7th 05, 07:59 PM
Wallace Berry

In article ZPebf.991$Y97.815@trndny05,
George Patterson wrote:

I think you did very well. Sounds almost as good as if they had two separate
lung systems. Sounds to me sort of like a bagpipe; the lungs keep the sacs
full,
and they get a constant flow of oxygen from the sacs.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your
neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

The bagpipe is a good analogy, with the bird's airsacs as the bags, and
the drones and chanter of the pipe analogous to the lungs. Birds lungs
are rigid and don't expand and contract the way mammalian lungs do. All
the bellows work is done by the airsacs.

By the way, there is a piper's tune called "The Circular Breath".
Old November 7th 05, 09:02 PM
Stefan

Wallace Berry wrote:

The bagpipe is a good analogy, with the bird's airsacs as the bags, and
the drones and chanter of the pipe analogous to the lungs. Birds lungs
are rigid and don't expand and contract the way mammalian lungs do. All
the bellows work is done by the airsacs.

But all this doesn't solve the main problem: low partial O2 pressure.

Stefan
Old November 7th 05, 10:35 PM
Denny

See:
http://magazine.audubon.org/birds/birds0011.html

denny

Old November 8th 05, 08:47 AM
customairmodels customairmodels is offline
Junior Member

geese can make mince meat out of your a/c. dont throw away the memories.

www.customairmodels.com
immortalize your baby. get a custom model of your aircraft
Old November 8th 05, 01:39 PM
Peter R.

customairmodels wrote:

geese can make mince meat out of your a/c. dont throw away the
memories.

LOL! Saw that open door and walked right in, eh?

--
Peter

Old November 8th 05, 02:01 PM
Mark T. Dame

N93332 wrote:

The goose was a terrorist!

Maybe Homeland Security should figure out how to equip the geese with
transponders to reduce bird strikes and the possibility of spreading bird
flu.

Or geese illegally wandering into the ADIZ.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## VP, Product Development
Old November 15th 05, 12:08 AM
Jens Krueger

d&tm wrote:

DESCRIPTION
ACFT, UPS28,

With a cracked windscreen and the risk of
depressurisation wouldnt it have been more prudent to descend to 10,000 ft
and avoid scaring the pax with the oxygen masks dropping out of the roof?.

It was apparently a UPS A/C (No PAX) and my guess is that the COM
reccommends a descent to FL280 due to a possible cracked outer Window
Pane. Why would you do any more than required by the COM?

--
This signature now under new management!
Reply-to address new and improved! And Valid.

Glass Goose Website revamped wingsnaprop Home Built 5 December 15th 04 03:56 AM
Glass Goose Website revamped wingsnaprop Home Built 0 December 14th 04 02:58 PM
BLUE GOOSE Cribsheet Owning 0 September 7th 04 06:38 PM
The Last Flight of the Blue Goose Cribsheet General Aviation 0 June 4th 04 04:38 PM
Off Topic - Spruce Goose Steve Beaver Home Built 30 January 24th 04 05:59 AM