jab at aviation buffs :(

Old December 3rd 05, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default jab at aviation buffs :(

i heard this on NPR and shot a quick note.

sure i'm a geek, but a content and happy one

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5036615
-----------------------
Michelle I love NPR, and support John Sifton and Human Rights Watch
100%, but what's up with the jab at "planespotters" having "nothing
better to do"?

People of all ages, including myself, enjoy watching planes big and
small. Many people are aviation buffs, road geeks, and train
enthusiasts, so why denigrate a healthy hobby? I hold a private
pilot's certificate, and part of pursuing my dream to fly came from
biking to LAX on summer afternoons and watching enormous jetliners land
above me. I'll take an hour of watching planes land any day over an
hour of TV.

Speaking of "planespotters" and civil rights: photographers interested
in aviation as I am have been harassed by uneducated security and
police officers for taking photos in public places, (subway stations,
local airfields etc). Planespotters have brought attention to the
infringement of US civil rights in these specific cases, and should be
acknowledged and appreciated by you.

I appreciate this story and information, but I hope Mr. Sifton leaves
personal jabs out of further comments.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5036615

Old December 3rd 05, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

oops - i meant appreciated by John. anyway this isn't a huge deal, but
I was kinda bummed hearing it

speaking of having nothing better to do on a friday night
------------------------

Old December 3rd 05, 11:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2 Dec 2005 17:25:59 -0800, "james" wrote in
.com::

i heard this on NPR and shot a quick note.

sure i'm a geek, but a content and happy one

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5036615
-----------------------
Michelle I love NPR, and support John Sifton and Human Rights Watch
100%, but what's up with the jab at "planespotters" having "nothing
better to do"?

Is this the quote to which you object?

Politics & Society
Rights Group Issues List of 'Ghost Detainees'
by Michele Kelemen

"Plane spotters, who hang out at airports and take pictures of
airplanes, because I guess, they have nothing better to do, but
they've become a valuable resource in the last few weeks. As it
turns out, they've snapped a lot of photos of CIA planes coming in
and out of airports which has helped advance this story as well
and pieced together where these planes went and when."

If so, it seems to praise the service of plane spotters despite the
arguably accurate slur.