I took the garbage out tonight

Old February 1st 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default I took the garbage out tonight

("Ross Richardson" wrote)
I HAD one milk jug leak oil over my garage floor. The bottom fell out when
I picked it up. It had been in there about a month.

I had my first one leak last summer. They were sitting up off the floor on a
wooden step. One day there was a puddle of oil to clean up. Never had that
happen before. They had been there for many, many months.

For transporting to the oil dump/hazardous waste depot, I use a milk crate
lined with an open leaf bag. The jugs go in the bag.

Montblack

Old February 1st 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I used to store the waste oil in various containers, including milk
jugs, until the semi-annual city "hazardous waste day".

But as a result of this thread I have learned that ALL the local auto
stores accept the oil. So I have bought a 5 gal gas can which I will
use to store/transport the used oil.

I have quick-drains on all (4) of my vehicles so that is going to
streamline the whole oil change process for me.
--
Thanks!
John Clonts

Old February 1st 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

What I did after the leaky milk carton was to buy a 2.5 gallon plastic
gas can and mark it "old Oil". I drain the oil into it and carry it to
the FBO's sump and it is gone.

Old February 1st 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"john smith" wrote in message
In article ,

I have it happen... repeatedly!
After draining my oil, I inevitably leave it sit instead of taking it to
a drop off site right away.
I then have to scoop it into multiple polyethelynene trash bags and
scoure the congrete to get as much of the oil out of it as possible.
As we speak, I have two jugs from last summer still sitting here taking
up space.

OK. I guess all milk jugs are not created equal.

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

Old February 1st 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I use two of those 12 quart flat plastic containers that look like thin
suit-cases. They have a funnel that screws onto one opening so you can lay
them flat and the oil runs into them. Then to empty them you open a cover
near the handle to dump the oil. I just throw them in the back of my truck
when I'm done and empty them when I get to work the next day.
Jim

Old February 2nd 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"john smith" wrote in message

If those are polypropylene milk jugs, you don't want to leave them
sitting very long. Polypropylene absorbs oil and will disintegrate if
left in contact with each other. Don't leave the jugs on the hangar
floor unless you want to clean a gooey mess. Is your hangar floor
epoxied?

I save the heavier gallon jugs that the auto windshield washer/antifreeze
comes in. The squared jugs are the best I've found, but the round ones work
OK too. Possibly they are made from a slightly different plastic. I've
stored oil for more than a year w/o any leakage.

Gary Kasten