and now...the rest of the story

Old October 24th 04, 04:54 PM
F.L. Whiteley

Default and now...the rest of the story

http://news.airwise.com/stories/2004/10/1098162021.html

Old October 24th 04, 05:51 PM
Ralph Jones

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:54:35 -0600, "F.L. Whiteley"
wrote:

http://news.airwise.com/stories/2004/10/1098162021.html

As the saying goes, the superior airman uses his superior knowledge
and judgment to stay out of situations that require his superior
skill...

We had something vaguely like that here in Colorado some years back. A
DC-9 had a total electrical failure at night, and the PIC landed it at
Del Norte...pretty nice stick-and-rudder job,especially since he
couldn't get the flaps down. But then he couldn't depressurize the
airplane to open the door, and didn't know about the manual dump
valve, so he knocked a window out with the fire axe and injured a
passenger in the process.

rj
Old October 25th 04, 03:29 AM
Bernie Lewis

"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message ...
http://news.airwise.com/stories/2004/10/1098162021.html

Actually it was the Monte Vista airport, I was there the next morning.
According to the tire marks, he touched down very near the approach
end and almost got stopped on the hard surface...went into the
over-run a bit, but a good job on a narrow runway.

Bernie
Old October 25th 04, 03:55 AM
Bill Daniels

"Bernie Lewis" wrote in message
om...
"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message

http://news.airwise.com/stories/2004/10/1098162021.html

Actually it was the Monte Vista airport, I was there the next morning.
According to the tire marks, he touched down very near the approach
end and almost got stopped on the hard surface...went into the
over-run a bit, but a good job on a narrow runway.

Bernie

I heard the copilot, remembering his Cessna days. clicked the mike 5 times
on 122.8 and lit up every runway with pilot controlled lighting in the
southwestern USA. Monte Vista just happened to be the one at 12 O'clock.

San Luis Regional with a jet capable runway and terminal facilities was at
10 O'clock and about the same distance but, oh well, that's how it goes some
days.

Bill Daniels

Old October 25th 04, 04:40 AM
Eric Greenwell

Bill Daniels wrote:

"Bernie Lewis" wrote in message
om...

"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message

http://news.airwise.com/stories/2004/10/1098162021.html

Actually it was the Monte Vista airport, I was there the next morning.
According to the tire marks, he touched down very near the approach
end and almost got stopped on the hard surface...went into the
over-run a bit, but a good job on a narrow runway.

Bernie

I heard the copilot, remembering his Cessna days. clicked the mike 5 times
on 122.8 and lit up every runway with pilot controlled lighting in the
southwestern USA. Monte Vista just happened to be the one at 12 O'clock.

San Luis Regional with a jet capable runway and terminal facilities was at
10 O'clock and about the same distance but, oh well, that's how it goes some
days.

Are you guys talking about the same story as Frank? That one happened
out over the Atlantic ocean.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old October 25th 04, 06:18 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Bill Daniels wrote:

[...]

Nah, Bernie clipped the DC-9 story that Ralph added to the thread.