Off Topic - Win CE Devel Tools?

Old October 25th 04, 03:08 AM
Mark Zivley

Default Off Topic - Win CE Devel Tools?

It's not the best group for this question, but there are probably a
number of people from this group who might have some qualified
recommendations.

I'd like to write some programs for my Compaq Aero. First on my list is
a weight and balance program customized for my glider, but there are a
small number of other applications of that magnitude which would be
really handy to have on a pocket device like my Compaq Aero.

Any recommendations out there for an inexpensive (under $200??)
development tool set w/ emulator for XP that I can use to develop these
sort of apps? I figure visual basic is probably the most likely
candidate, but since my last significant programming efforts were in
Fortran or Basic, I'm probably going to have to do some catch-up no
matter which language I go with.

Thanks!

Mark

Remove the additional "hot" from my reply to to e-mail direct.

Old October 25th 04, 03:48 AM
Marc Ramsey

Mark Zivley wrote:
Any recommendations out there for an inexpensive (under $200??)
development tool set w/ emulator for XP that I can use to develop these
sort of apps? I figure visual basic is probably the most likely
candidate, but since my last significant programming efforts were in
Fortran or Basic, I'm probably going to have to do some catch-up no
matter which language I go with.

Many of the Microsoft development tools for Win CE (including Visual
Basic and C++) are, strangely enough, free for downloading from:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/d...e/default.aspx

A worthy alternative for quick and dirty development is the Python
language, of which there are two free implementations for Win CE:

http://fore.validus.com/~kashtan/
http://www.murkworks.com/Research/Python/Overview

Marc
Old October 25th 04, 05:45 AM
tango4

If you are using XP and the Embedded Visual tools from Microsoft do NOT
install service pack 2 to XP. It kills the emulation environment! A known
fault but without resolution at this point.

Ian

"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
m...

Old October 25th 04, 07:36 AM
unt

Hi

There is also a free language called Super Waba www.superwaba.com
It is JAVA language and you can generate code for Windows CE and Palm OS
with the same source!

Cheers, FW.

m...

Old October 25th 04, 04:53 PM
Henryk Birecki

Mark, since you said you want to develop for Aero 1550 you need eVC3
not eVC4 if you go with Microsoft tools. Both of these are free, but
eVC 4 is only useful for PocektPC 2003 and above you can use eVC3 for
PocketPC 2003 and above as well though it depends on the details of
what you are doing, and you may want to use eVC4 to compile the code
for these devices.

Henryk Birecki