US Airways - NEVER AGAIN !!!

Old July 11th 03, 03:27 PM
Dylan Smith

On 10 Jul 2003 14:45:35 -0700, Michael wrote:
The future is Southwest. That means cattle-car seating, peanuts and
crackers instead of meals, multiple stops for trips of any length, and
accumulated delays. But the ticket price is low. Does that actually
reduce cost?

Ironically, despite this, the best and least aggravating airline flights
I've had in the US are consistently with Southwest - the difference
being great enough that any personal travel I did where I had to go by
airline, I'd fly Southwest by choice. The least pleasant have been with
American, Delta and co. Continental weren't too bad, but their seats
feel like concrete after about an hour.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Old July 11th 03, 05:54 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Trains did not work out as people movers in North America... The continent
is too huge to get a person within walking distance of his destination, and
the political power of the auto companies in the early part of the twentieth
century spelled doom for expanding the rail network... With all the land
all now owned by someone it is not feasible short of nuclear winter, or
some such to run more rail beyond what little rail is left...
We do have bus service to most towns in the USA, but it is slow,
uncomfortable, and inconvenient...
The third issue, which most europeans who have not visited the USA do not
comprehend, is that the North American continent is vast... Germany would
barely make one state in the USA, especially west of the Mississippi... We
have counties bigger than some countries in europe...
Denny

"Dylan Smith" wrote in Train: turn up at the
station, buy a ticket, get on, go. No need to arrive
at the station more than 10 minutes early except at busy times.

Old July 11th 03, 07:26 PM
Michael

Bob Noel wrote
If you don't like airline travel then by all means find another way.

believe me, I'd love to convince some people to use the phone
or VTC to conduct meetings rather to always thinking the meetings
have to be face-to-face.

Interestingly, my company is moving over to almost exclusive reliance
on phone and VTC. It's cheaper than flying, there's no loss of
productivity (other than the meeting itself), and it doesn't **** off
the employees the way being shipped around the country by cut-rate
airlines does.

I haven't set foot on an airliner for any reason in over a year.

Michael
Old July 13th 03, 10:55 PM
Dylan Smith

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:54:45 -0400, Dennis O'Connor
wrote:
comprehend, is that the North American continent is vast... Germany would
barely make one state in the USA

I'm acutely aware of the size of the USA, I flew it coast to coast in
an 85-horsepower airplane!

On distances under 500 miles, I could beat the airlines in the same
85-horsepower airplane, too... (factors: minimal waiting around at
airports, being able to go to an airport very close to my destination)

Old July 14th 03, 07:16 PM
Michael

Bob Noel wrote
I haven't set foot on an airliner for any reason in over a year.

bless them. What company?

Thermo.

Michael
Old July 15th 03, 01:42 PM
Wdtabor

In article , "G.R. Patterson III"
writes:

Dylan Smith wrote:

Train: turn up at the station, buy a ticket, get on, go. No need to arrive
at the station more than 10 minutes early except at busy times.

Flying Delta from Newark to Atlanta takes 2 hours and 17 minutes. Add 1.5
hours for security, and the whole thing is about 3 hours 45 minutes each
way. A round trip ticket costs $285.50 if you book the flight a week in
advance. Decide to go today, and it'll cost you $437.50.

Unless you go US Airways, in which case, your flight is cancelled and you are
rescheduled for the next day so it takes you 18 hours each way, counting time
spent waiting for them to actually fly an airplane. And it costs you a day of
your vacation and a day's pay, respectively, on each end.

The train from Newark to Atlanta takes 17 hours and 51 minutes and the
return trip takes 17 hours and 15 minutes. Add in the 10 minutes you need
to make sure you don't miss it, and we're up to 18 hours. A round trip ticket
costs $406.00 if you book the trip a week in advance. Decide to go today,
and you'll have to fly - they're booked solid for the next several days.
Sleepers will cost you extra and are even less likely to be available.

Perhaps US Airways would be more comfortable running trains.

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL