Private Pilot in 10 days

Old July 10th 03, 03:17 AM
Gilan

Default Private Pilot in 10 days

I just started flying at a school that offers Private Pilot in 10 days. I
plan on taking a bit longer then 10 days but wondered how long the average
person takes to complete their PPL?

Private Pilot in 10 days
http://www.perfectplanes.com/index.html

--
Have a good day and stay out of the trees!
See ya on Sport Aircraft group

Join "The Ultralight & Experimental Aircraft SiteRing"
http://pub27.bravenet.com/sitering/a...num=2286862090

Old July 10th 03, 03:59 AM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

I can't believe that anyone can assimilate what it takes to be a safe

pilot
with good judgment in ten days. At the very least, you need to experience

variety of weather situations. Wouldn't touch this place with the

proverbial
ten foot pole.

Absolutely. There is no way that anyone on Gods green earth can go from
zero-time to a private ticket in 10 days (or 30, for that matter), and have
that ticket be worth any more than the paper it's printed on.

The private ticket is literally the foundation that all other ratings and
experience is built upon, and rushing through it is probably the stupidest
thing one can do. There are indeed courses that can give you *ratings* in
ten days or so, but the PPL is something that you should really immerse
yourself in and take your time with. Experience is definately your greatest
asset in the air, and while it may *sound* great to be a newly minted pilot
in just over a week and be done with it, chances are you'll kill yourself
the following week. Any reputable instructor knows this very well.
Generally, people average six months to a year to get a private ticket;
three to five months if they train intensively (three days or more per week,
no break). You just can't squeeze that into 10 days.

My guess is that the school is either giving you a radical under-estimate of
the required time commitment to get you in the door (not uncommon, but a bit
unbelieveable in this case), or really has a 10-day 'crash' program (pun
intended) to teach you exactly what to do on your checkride and written, and
get you out the door.

Either way, I would be VERY VERY wary.

Old July 10th 03, 04:36 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Gilan" wrote in message
I just started flying at a school that offers Private Pilot in 10 days. I
plan on taking a bit longer then 10 days but wondered how long the average
person takes to complete their PPL?

Private Pilot in 10 days
http://www.perfectplanes.com/index.html

--
Have a good day and stay out of the trees!
See ya on Sport Aircraft group

Join "The Ultralight & Experimental Aircraft SiteRing"
http://pub27.bravenet.com/sitering/a...num=2286862090

It took me all summer 10 years ago to get mine. Between weather delays,
work schedules, airplane and instructor schedules, etc, it was hard to get
more than 3-4 hours a week. I think I had 42-43 hours when I took my check
ride. The average is at least 10 hours higher.

Early in the process, one hour lessons are the way to go. There is so much
to learn, it would be hard to assimilate more than an hour's worth every day
or two. Later, especially doing X/C work, multi-hour flights are useful.

Most of my flying friends took significantly longer than my 3-4 months to
earn their PPL

KB

Old July 10th 03, 11:35 AM
Roger Long

I think an immersion school that emphasized judgement and drilled into
students how little they really know and how much experience, self training,
practice, and additional dual they still need after the checkride could
produce pilots who were safer the day after than many FBO products. For
marketing reasons, FBO's often give the impression that you graduate as
Chuck Yager.

Friend o' mine passed his checkride in the morning after a sleepless night.
That evening, he took his girlfriend for a night flight in a plane without
panel lights and with only the hand mic working. Experienced pilots in our
club turned back because of thick haze. While juggling flashlight, mic,
sectionals, etc., he flew to a very busy Class B for a touch and go and
ended up flattening both mains trying to land and hold short. Gave one set
of window seaters in a 777 a real scare. Clearly, there were a few things
they didn't cover in his training.

That said, my training is recent enough that I can remember some of it. I
was always struck by how beneficial the layoff periods were. I would
sometimes come back after a month or two of not flying and find that I was
doing better than when I stopped. Things seem to settle down and take root.
I heard about military studies that showed that the ability to learn new
complex tasks drops off dramatically after about 1/2 hour. My experience
seemed to support that. Practice is a different dynamic but I think
keeping lessons where you are first learning a task should be kept to 1/2
hour.

Roger Long

Old July 10th 03, 01:11 PM
Slav Inger

Gilan wrote:

I just started flying at a school that offers Private Pilot in 10 days. I
plan on taking a bit longer then 10 days but wondered how long the average
person takes to complete their PPL?

Doesn't strike me as a smart thing to do in the long run. Nor would I
want to fly with a pilot who got his private in 10 days, or one who got
his private with the lowest number of hours. I have similar
reservations with instrument rating cram courses that proclaim IFR in 7
days.

- Slav Inger
- PP ASEL IA @ YIP
Old July 10th 03, 01:57 PM
Corky Scott

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 02:36:02 GMT, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

I can't believe that anyone can assimilate what it takes to be a safe pilot
with good judgment in ten days. At the very least, you need to experience a
variety of weather situations. Wouldn't touch this place with the proverbial
ten foot pole.

Bob Gardner

If you pass the written, the oral and practical to the satisfaction of
the examiner, what exactly is the difference between learning in 10
days or 10 months? Knowledge is knowledge. If it stays in you, what
does it matter how quickly you are taught it?

On the other hand, not everyone learns at exactly the same speed so
not everyone will be able to handle this type of instruction.

As to judgement, this seems a complicated subject. From what I've
read all my life about flying and what I've heard from pilots, poor
judgement can come from pilots whether they are freshly minted or have
thousands of hours of experience. It seems to depend on the
individual and his/her level of confidence, whether deserved or not.

Corky Scott

Old July 10th 03, 02:48 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Jim Weir wrote:
With all due respects for my admiration for you, Bob...

I've been considering for some time now starting a "14 day wonder" pilot course.
Before you come up here to spend 24/7 for two weeks at my chosen motel, you've
taken my ground school online and passed the written. If you haven't passed the
written with a 90%+ you keep taking my online quizzes until you have taken ten
of them in a row with 90%+.

Some day Gail and I will be able to afford to establish the Flight School For
Perfection. Until then...I respectfully disagree with your criticism of those
who are trying to achieve it.

Jim,

If you do establish said flight school, I'm sure it would produce good
pilots.

However, I don't believe the standard "get your pilot rating quick"
course is in any way an attempt to establish "the Flight School for
Perfection". I think it's an attempt to get people their ratings,
fast. Period.

If I remember correctly, someone went through such a course and
wrote a magazine article about it. I'll see if I can remember which
and find it. He went, passed, got his rating, then went home to
be evaluated by a local CFI/DE. IIRC, the evaluation was, the
basic elements were there but the depth wasn't.

Cheers,
Sydney

Old July 10th 03, 02:50 PM
C J Campbell

The Air Force (which probably knows something about flying) sends many of
its pilots to get their introductory training at various FBOs. They allow 50
hours and 90 days for the pilot to get his private pilot certificate. We
generally, with very intensive training, get these guys to finish in about
45 hours and 60 days. These are highly motivated people who have nothing to
do but learn to fly.

You probably will not see many Air Force pilots at a 10 day pilot school.

Old July 10th 03, 02:58 PM
Robert Moore

(Corky Scott) wrote
Knowledge is knowledge. If it stays in you, what
does it matter how quickly you are taught it?

But it doesn't stay Corky. Some more of that stuff
that every kindergarden teacher is required to study
in college that the average flight instructor has no
clue about. Long term and short term memory and the
methods and conditions required for transferring
learning from one to the other.

The FAA "Fundamentals of Instruction", universally
condemmed by flight instructors, contains very good
information about the teaching-learning process but in
such condensed form that in "rote" learning it just to
pass the test, flight instructors retain nothing from it.

The 10-day quicky course relies almost solely on rote
learning and I quote from the FOI, "Avoid rote learning,
for it does not foster transfer".

When I first joined PanAm way back in 1967, the Initial
Qualification program for the B-707 was six months long.
The Electrical System covered almost a complete week by
itself. At the end, I personally felt well qualified.
At the end in 1991, that same Initial Qualification course
required only two months. Same basic information taught,
just not enough time to learn and retain it. Electrical
in the morning followed by hydraulics and flight controls
that same afternoon. It wasn't very effective training.

Bob Moore
Teaching since 1962