Ever Seen a "Lifter" fly?

Old July 18th 03, 01:19 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Neal said:
BTW, FYI, Slackware is 10 years old today :-)
That was my first exposure to Linux back in fall of '93 when me and
co-workers downloaded the floppy image files from a BBS over a 2400
baud modem. Those were the days!

I installed SLS 1.03 (with kernel 0.99.14plg) on about 10 386 and 486
machines in my lab back in 1992. From dozens of floppies. You'd march
the floppies around the lab, starting with disk 1 in machine 1, then
moving it onto machine 2 while machine 1 dealt with disk 1, and so on.

Loads of fun.

Upgrading to Slackware 1.0 was a treat, if only because it came on CD and
had an "install via NFS" option - you could stick the CD on your
SPARCStation and export it, then install all 10 machines at a time.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
God is real, unless declared as an integer.
Old July 18th 03, 09:18 AM
Dylan Smith

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:47:46 -0000, journeyman
wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:50:33 -0500, Big John
worry about it (FWIW, it's not a virus, it's a Trojan Horse, which
is a horse of a different color, which by lemma 1 doesn't exist).

Sure it's not a horse with an infinite number of legs?

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Old July 18th 03, 09:19 AM
Dylan Smith

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:46:07 -0700, Peter Duniho
wrote:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
Service Pack 9 from RedHat fixes them all.

But introduces a whole slew of new security flaws. So what?

You can fix those with a CD-ROM labeled "OpenBSD Installation Disk"

Old July 18th 03, 09:21 AM
Dylan Smith

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:41:19 -0500, Neal wrote:
BTW, FYI, Slackware is 10 years old today :-)

I remember the first Slackware, after getting rid of SLS :-)

But the real days were Linux 0.12, when the distro was a root floppy
and using 'cp -r' to copy the contents to your hard disk :-) That
was January 1992. I was a very geeky teenager at the time...

Old July 18th 03, 01:47 PM
journeyman

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:18:51 -0000, Dylan Smith
wrote:
is a horse of a different color, which by lemma 1 doesn't exist).

Sure it's not a horse with an infinite number of legs?

Lemma 1 is very useful on its own. :-)

Lemma 1. All horses are the same color. Proof by induction.
One horse is the same color. Assume n horses are the same
color to prove n+1 horses are the same color. Take one horse
out of the set of n+1. You have n horses of the same color by
induction hypothesis. Do this n+1 times to obtain n+1 sets,
all the same color. Therefore, n+1 horses are the same color.

Theorem 1. Horses have an infinite number of legs. Proof by
intimidation. Horses have an even number of legs. They have
their 2 hind legs in back, and their forelegs in front. Which
makes 6 legs, which is certainly an odd number of legs for a
horse. The only number that is both even and odd is infinity.
Furthermore, assume there exists a horse with a finite number
of legs. Well, that is a horse of a different color, which
by lemma 1 doesn't exist. QED

We now resume our regularly scheduled discussion of aviation.

Morris (what you get when you cross an elephant with a mountain climber?)
Old July 18th 03, 04:04 PM
journeyman

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:41:19 -0500, Neal wrote:

BTW, FYI, Slackware is 10 years old today :-)
That was my first exposure to Linux back in fall of '93 when me and
co-workers downloaded the floppy image files from a BBS over a 2400
baud modem. Those were the days!

I installed my first slackware, must've been '94 or '95 on a Toshiba
486 laptop. 25 MHz, 4 MB RAM, 350 MB hard disk. Not enough power to
run XWindows, but a buddy who had a similar configuration sure tried.

Downloaded it to the university where I was working and wrote all 50
floppy disks.

ObAvition: does anyone have a good flight simulator for Linux? I'm
looking for something I can practice instrument approach procedures...

Morris (feeling like an oldtimer)
Old July 18th 03, 04:06 PM
journeyman

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:21:21 -0000, Dylan Smith
wrote:

was January 1992. I was a very geeky teenager at the time...

No longer a teenager, but still pretty geeky ;-)

Morris
Old July 20th 03, 11:38 PM
Dylan Smith

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:04:33 -0000, journeyman journeyman@grizzly.
compilerguru.com wrote:
I installed my first slackware, must've been '94 or '95 on a Toshiba
486 laptop. 25 MHz, 4 MB RAM, 350 MB hard disk. Not enough power to
run XWindows, but a buddy who had a similar configuration sure tried.

I got a 16MHz 386 with 2.5MB of RAM to run X.

It swapped a lot.