Are birds IFR?

Old September 23rd 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Kevin Clarke

Default Are birds IFR?

Here's a whacky question.

I just flew my 250NM IFR x-ctry. The last leg was IMC, bouncing along at
5000'. So the question I have is, do birds ever fly in the clouds?

There are many birds at my home airport (KFIT). I got enough stuff to
worry about during an IAP, I'd hate to get a bird strike then.

So what about it? Are birds IFR equipped? :^)

KC
Old September 24th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Only GOD knows for sure. The FAA sets standards and
procedures for human pilots.

ink.net...

Old September 24th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Only GOD knows for sure. The FAA sets standards and
procedures for human pilots.

The birds don't know?

"He's a menace to himself and everything else in the air". "Yes, birds,
too" -- Ken Tobey's character in AIRPLANE

Old September 24th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
John R. Copeland

I've heard of migratory birds being seen *above* clouds,
but I've never heard of them being seen *in* clouds.
Could that be simply because they're hard to see in IMC?
I'm more comfortable hoping they just don't fly there.
I've noticed daytime birds are extremely uncomfortable flying at night.

Old September 24th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow

"John R. Copeland" wrote in message
I've heard of migratory birds being seen *above* clouds,
but I've never heard of them being seen *in* clouds.
Could that be simply because they're hard to see in IMC?
I'm more comfortable hoping they just don't fly there.
I've noticed daytime birds are extremely uncomfortable flying at night.

IIRC, they use some form of Solar/Celestial (??) navigation.

Old September 24th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Joe Marino

John R. Copeland wrote:
I've heard of migratory birds being seen *above* clouds,
but I've never heard of them being seen *in* clouds.
Could that be simply because they're hard to see in IMC?
I'm more comfortable hoping they just don't fly there.
I've noticed daytime birds are extremely uncomfortable flying at night.

My understanding is, and I haven't the foggiest idea where I read this,
probably on of the many aviation magazines I read, but birds are NOT
IFR. They may fly above or below the soup, but not in it.

I think someone in one of those articles pointed out that on a rainy
day with low ceilings just look at all the geese on the ground!

My only question then is this: if they get stuck on top, do they not
what the MVA is?

Joe

Old September 24th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Doug[_1_]

In a word, no. Birds have a hard time staying upright and flying in a
cloud, though I suspect most have tried it (at least the bolder ones).
I imagine a bird exiting the bottom of a cloud upsidedown would
discourage future tries.

Old September 24th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

The first and only time I ever hit a seagull was on the approach to
Paine Field at Everett, Washington from the North. We hit him just
before breaking out so he might have been looking down for visual
guidance, or maybe they can fly IFR. Nevertheless, he scared the
begeezus out of both me and my student.

I also suspect he was fairly young because he didn't do much damage. I
also suspect it was a he because I figure all the shes were on the
ground watching that macho idiot show off.

Old September 24th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mal

I read an article on the CASA website they did DNA testing to find out what
airplanes were hitting from the remaining remnants on the aircraft.

We often talk about bird strikes they said at night bat strikes were common.

http://www.casa.gov.au/aerodromes/bird.htm

Old September 24th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

Kevin Clarke wrote in news:mZfRg.5203$UG4.4955
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Here's a whacky question.

I just flew my 250NM IFR x-ctry. The last leg was IMC, bouncing along at
5000'. So the question I have is, do birds ever fly in the clouds?

KC

See http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...07/ai_n8801218 for
study on birds flying without visual reference and you be the judge.

Allen

Birds at Altitude Judah Piloting 33 September 28th 06 08:54 AM
Fat Birds Bob Chilcoat Piloting 14 January 29th 06 02:27 PM
Freakn' Birds!! Jon Kraus Owning 6 June 27th 05 08:58 AM
Now the g*damned birds need transponders in the ADIZ R.L. Piloting 15 April 29th 05 10:49 PM
fatal bird strike StellaStar Piloting 9 July 13th 03 09:41 PM