Help me write 25 Aviation Trivia Questions!

Old December 10th 03, 08:33 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"James Robinson" wrote in message

I'm not sure what you are getting at - military bases not being a part
of a city, or that the museum isn't within city limits. Actually, old
Wright field, where the museum is located, is within Montgomery County,
which is Dayton. The rest of Wright Patterson is in adjacent Greene
County. Since it's within the county limits, and well within the
built-up area of Dayton, I would argue that my answer is correct.

Actually, the Montgomery/Greene County line cuts across old Wright Field.
The Montgomery County line and the Dayton city limits are not coincident,
old Wright Field lies outside the Dayton City limits.

He was drafted, according to information on the Air Force Museum web
site:

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/history/wwii/js.htm

and according to the Jimmy Stewart museum:

http://www.jimmy.org/memories/passing.html

When he was called for service, he was declared underweight in the
medical exam, and initially rejected. He insisted that he be allowed in,
and his medical was overlooked. Therefore, the military considers him
legally as having been drafted. Because of his insistence in being
allowed to join in spite of his medical, I suppose one could consider
that he enlisted.

Stewart was called before the draft board in February 1941 but was rejected
because he was underweight. He went on a banana binge to add the necessary
weight and enlisted the following month.

Old December 10th 03, 08:39 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"David Brooks" wrote in message

Yeah. Why *do* we?

So that we are not using statute AND nautical miles to measure distance.

Old December 10th 03, 08:40 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"David Brooks" wrote in message

But that's only because we already decided to use nm for navigation, of
course.

No, meridians were on aeronautical charts long before the nautical mile
became the standard.

Old December 10th 03, 09:33 PM
Jim

or kilometers!
do we use NM because it is a "world" standard?
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

ink.net...

Old December 10th 03, 10:31 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jim" wrote in message

or kilometers!
do we use NM because it is a "world" standard?

Nautical miles was already the standard of choice of the USAF and USN at the
time, and was also used by civil carriers flying overseas routes. Switching
to nautical miles was the logical thing to do.

In the thirties and forties, statute miles was the only scale printed on
sectionals. Sometime in the early fifties, before the switch from statute
miles to nautical miles as the standard, scales in statute miles, nautical
miles, and kilometers appeared on charts.

Old December 11th 03, 12:19 AM
James Robinson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

James Robinson wrote:

Jimmy Stewart was drafted, according to information on the
Air Force Museum web site:

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/history/wwii/js.htm

and according to the Jimmy Stewart museum:

http://www.jimmy.org/memories/passing.html

When he was called for service, he was declared underweight in the
medical exam, and initially rejected. He insisted that he be allowed in,
and his medical was overlooked. Therefore, the military considers him
legally as having been drafted. Because of his insistence in being
allowed to join in spite of his medical, I suppose one could consider
that he enlisted.

Stewart was called before the draft board in February 1941 but was rejected
because he was underweight. He went on a banana binge to add the necessary
weight and enlisted the following month.

He did not enlist. He appealed his rejection to the draft board, and
was accepted.
Old December 11th 03, 01:41 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"James Robinson" wrote in message

He did not enlist. He appealed his rejection to the draft board, and
was accepted.

"In 1941 Stewart was drafted into the Army, but failed the physical because
he was underweight. Eventually, he joined the military as a 32-year-old
private. Stewart had learned to fly in 1935 and by the start of World War II
had accumulated some 400 flying hours. He was assigned to the Army Air
Forces at Moffett Field and within a few months was commissioned as an
officer and became a flight instructor. In late 1943, he was assigned
overseas, first as squadron commander with the 445th Bombardment Group and
later as operations officer with the 453d Bombardment Group at Old
Buckingham, England. He piloted B-24 Liberators during the war, flying
twenty combat missions against Normandy, Northern France, and the Rhineland.
He also served as chief of staff, 2d Combat Wing, 2d Division, Eighth Air
Force. For his wartime achievements Colonel Stewart was awarded the
Distinguished Flying Cross with Oak Leaf Cluster, the French Croix de
Guerre, and the Air Medal with three Oak Leaf Clusters. Following the war he
remained active in the U.S. Air Force Reserve, and in 1957 was promoted to
brigadier general. In 1966, during his annual two weeks of active duty, he
requested a combat assignment and participated in a bombing strike over
Vietnam. The following year he retired."

"Air Power History" magazine, Fall 1997, page 100

"Jimmy Stewart enlisted in the Army Air Corps in March 1941. Before being
shipped overseas, Stewart appeared in a number of radio programs in support
of the war effort. In December 1941, he served as host for the radio program
We Hold These Truths. The program was a tribute to the Bill of Rights on its
150th birthday, and the program drew the largest audience in the then
history of radio, over sixty million people. At the end, much in the manner
of Jefferson Smith, Stewart gave an impassioned speech for American
democracy. Cpl. James Stewart then introduced the President of the United
States, Franklin D. Roosevelt."

http://www.jimmy.org/bio/radio.html

"Germany had already plunged Europe into war and Jim recognized the
consequences of Germany's actions. Faced with the possibility of draft (and
a low draft number), he enlisted on March 22, 1941, bringing with him a
family tradition of military service. Both grandfathers were Civil War
veterans. His father left college to fight near San Juan Hill during the
Spanish-American War before returning to Princeton to graduate. Alex again
served during World War I, and Jim once again followed in his father's
steps."

http://www.jimmy.org/bio/war_interrupts.html

"In 1941 (before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor), Stewart enlisted in
the Army Air Corp where, as a bomber pilot and squadron commander, he lead a
number of strikes against Germany during World War II and rose to the rank
of colonel. For his service he won both the Air Medal and the Distinguished
Flying Cross. After he returned to Hollywood and started off with the
boxoffice disappointment IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946), Stewart began to
change his "Capra" image making CALL NORTHSIDE 777 (1948) and Hitchcock's
ROPE the same year. Other notable performances of this later period in his
career include Cecil B. DeMille's THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH (1952) with
Charlton Heston, as well as Hitchcock's masterpiece thrillers VERTIGO (1958)
with Kim Novak and REAR WINDOW (1954) with Grace Kelly. Stewart also made a
number of westerns with his favorite gray-felt hat, his favorite horse, Pi,
and a variety of directors. He made five westerns with director Anthony
Mann, starting with WINCHESTER '73 (1950) and was thrice teamed with
legendary Hollywood cowboy John Wayne, first in THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY
VALANCE (1962) and HOW THE WEST WAS WON (1962),
both directed by John Ford, and later in Wayne's final film THE SHOOTIST
(1976) directed by Don Seigel."

http://www.reelclassics.com/Actors/Jimmy/jimmy-bio.htm

"After winning an oscar for his role in "The Philadelphia Story" and being
nominated again for "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington", Stewart was a household
name. He could have sat the war out in the states doing public-service
spots. He didn't, though. Stewart enlisted in the Army Air Corps(now the Air
Force) in 1941. His experience as a private pilot in civilian life enable
him to qualify for flight school, and he was commissioned as an officer."

http://www.lonsberry.com/writers/PNi...cfm?story=2373

"Prior to World War II, James Stewart learned to fly and received his
private pilot's license in 1935. He enlisted in the Army on March 22, 1941.
Though he desired to fly as a combat pilot, he was at first used mostly for
publicity. At his own expense, he took additional private flight training so
he could qualify for combat. He received his commission after the attack on
Pearl Harbor."

http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/...y_stewart.html

"In September 1940, the Selective Service Act became law, and men between
the ages of 21 and 36 were required to register. Being 32, Stewart
registered and was quoted later as saying, "The only lottery I ever came
close to winning was the drawing for the first draft before Pearl Harbor."
However, when Stewart was called up for a physical late in 1940, he was
turned down: underweight. That could have ended the whole affair, but
Stewart decided to go the volunteer route. He appealed the Army's
underweight decision, embarked on an eating binge, made the weight
requirements, and at the age of 33, reported for induction on March 22,
1941, at Fort McArthur, Calif."

http://www.troa.org/magazine/september1998/stewart.asp

Old December 11th 03, 03:17 AM
James Robinson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

James Robinson wrote:

He did not enlist. He appealed his rejection to the draft board, and
was accepted.

A number of unofficial web cites snipped stating he enlisted

In response, I direct you to the Air Force Museum site, which should
know, where they state:

"On Mar. 22, 1941, Jimmy Stewart was drafted into the U.S. Armed Forces.
He was assigned to the Army Air Corps as an enlisted man and stationed
at Moffett Field, Cal. "

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/history/wwii/js.htm

.... and from another biography written by an Air Force historian:

"Stewart, who was born May 20, 1908, in Indiana, Penn., was drafted into
the U.S. Armed Forces on March 22, 1941."

http://www.altus.af.mil/PA/patriot/a.../11jul974.html

It appears that in the eyes of the Military, he was drafted, since the
paperwork was organized around an induction, and not enlistment.

Interestingly, the Jimmy Stewart Museum site, which was also quoted as
saying he enlisted, has this description of his induction into the Army
in his obituary. Note that it says he joined through the action of the
local draft board, hence the reason he was considered as being drafted:

"Stewart's draft number was 310. When his number was called and he
appeared at his draft board - No. 245 in West Los Angeles - in February
1941, he weighed only 138 pounds, five pounds under the acceptable
weight level, but he was able to convince his draft board to accept him.
While others tried to avoid the draft, he actually cheated to get into
the military. Later, he would actually campaign to see combat."

http://www.jimmy.org/memories/passing.html
Old December 11th 03, 02:45 PM
Mike Beede

In article . net, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

You mean "in level flight?"

Nope. Level flight, climbing or diving, doesn't matter. Supersonic is
supersonic.

Okay. You discount the XF-86 theory, or you think that the first time happened
on purpose? I thought it seemed plausible, myself.

Mike Beede
Old December 11th 03, 05:51 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mike Beede" wrote in message

Okay. You discount the XF-86 theory, or you think that the first time
happened on purpose? I thought it seemed plausible, myself.

I do not discount the XP-86 theory. In fact, I believe George Welch was
actually the first man to fly faster than sound. I also believe he did so
deliberately. You can read an account of that flight he

http://home.att.net/~historyzone/Welch2.html

With regard to differentiating between exceeding Mach 1 in level flight or
in a dive, it is simply not an issue. Some people look at this as if it was
a speed record attempt, where it does matter if the aircraft is level or
diving. From a fluid dynamics viewpoint the aircraft's attitude is
irrelevant, supersonic is supersonic.