FL Hangers

Old March 17th 05, 07:01 PM
Mike in GR

Default FL Hangers

Looks like I may be in for a transfer to St Petersburg, Florida.

I am almost afraid to ask, but can a fellow find an affordable hanger within an hours drive?

Mike Z

Old March 17th 05, 07:21 PM
George Patterson

Mike in GR wrote:

Looks like I may be in for a transfer to St Petersburg, Florida.

I am almost afraid to ask, but can a fellow find an affordable hanger within an hours drive?

A friend of mine relocated to Perry (near Miami) some years back. He told me
that hangars aren't the best idea down there because of the heat buildup during
the day. He said a canopy with open sides was a much better idea.

I'm not sure he's correct, but it's something to check out.

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.
Old March 20th 05, 03:14 AM
Ed

Depends on your definition of affordable.

The partnership I'm in keeps our plane at Clearwater Air Park. Hangars
there are $360 a month. There are also hangars available at St Pete Intl
and Whitted for around the same price, and corporate hangars for somewhat
less, say $300 a month. In Tampa, you've also got Davis field and
Vandenberg, which probably cost about the same.

In order to get significantly cheaper, you're going to have to go out east
to Zephyrhills or Plant City, or north to Pilot Country, Tampa North, or
Hernando County. A hangar at Z-hills will run you about $175 a month. I
think Plant City is around $225 a month. No idea about the fields to the
north.

The drive to those locations will depend on where you live and what time of
day you travel. I live near Plant City, and I can drive to Clearwater Air
Park in exactly 1 hour ... as long as it's at 5 am or 9 pm. During normal
day traffic it's a 90 minute drive, and during rush hour it's a 2 hour drive
or more.

As someone else once said, you don't pick your airfield in Tampa; your
airfield picks you. Every airfield has a long waiting list for hangars, so
you put your name on a bunch of waiting lists and take whatever comes open.

Clearwater also has the shade hangars that the other poster described. I
haven't noticed an issue with our enclosed hangar getting too hot. The
shade hangars sound like a good idea, until you get a 3-hurricane fall like
we had this past season. Then having a good sturdy enclosed hangar is quite
nice.
nk.net...

Old March 21st 05, 08:55 PM
Mike in GR

Thanks Ed,

That gives me a good idea where to start. Sounds like I am in for a bit of driving.

Mike

Old March 22nd 05, 04:09 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Mike in GR" wrote:

Thanks Ed,

That gives me a good idea where to start. Sounds like I am in for a bit of
driving.

Mike

I recently got a flyer in the mail from Orlando Apopka Airport, where
they are SELLING hangar sites!

See:
orlandoapopkaairport.com or call:
OAA Office 407 886 7663 or
Randy Somers: 352 455 7405 or
Ron Henderson: 352 267 4071

The flyer did not list prices, but you can build from 52'x50' to
94'x100' hangars.

I am not interested, myself, as I have a hangar home at Spruce Creek,
nor do I have any financial or personal interest in the project.

Now, if only some more airports would take up such an enlightened
approach!