FYI: Dec 12 MythBusters: Airplane Hour

Old December 9th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.skydiving
Morgans[_2_]

Default Dec 12 MythBusters: Airplane Hour

Can we drop it now?!

I already did.

Drop what??
Jim in NC

Old December 9th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.skydiving
Peter Dohm

"muff528" wrote in message

Hang on!....Here we go again! :0)
TP

I have my seat belt and shoulder harness tightened, and I will try not to
make any sound.

Peter ;-)

Old December 9th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.skydiving
ManhattanMan

Peter Dohm wrote:
"muff528" wrote in message

Hang on!....Here we go again! :0)
TP

I have my seat belt and shoulder harness tightened, and I will try
not to make any sound.

Peter ;-)

Laughing is allowed...

Old December 9th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.skydiving
Dale Alexander

Default FYI: Dec 12 MythBusters: Airplane Hour

I would be interested in knowing which airport that is. I know that they
have used Alameda and Hamilton in the past. Which airport are you referring
to?

Dale Alexander

"buttman" wrote in message
On Dec 8, 9:32 pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
"Jamie and Adam take wing to test if a person with no flight training can
safely land an airplane and if a plane can take off from a conveyor belt
speeding in the opposite direction. Tory, Grant, and Kari jump on some
Hollywood-inspired skydiving myths."

Quoted from the Discovery channel
schedule:http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedule...=1.13056.24704....

(My local paper's weekly TV schedule has just the brief summary "Landing
747" so I presume the plane they attempt to land without training is a
747.
Will be interesting to see if they try the real thing and are not limited
to a simulator.)

I'm really anxious to see this episode, because apparently they filmed
the treadmill myth at my home airport.

Old December 9th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.skydiving
Steve Hix

In article ,
B A R R Y wrote:

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 11:33:15 -0600, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Can we drop it now?!

I already did.

Better clean it up before Mom sees it.
Old December 9th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"Some Other Guy" wrote in message
" Vacant lot wrote:
I don't understand the premise of the conveyor belt thing. If you are
talking about thrusting an aircraft forward, like a catapult, you already
know the answer, and if the belt is running so the the wheels of the
aircraft are spinning madly while it stays still then again you already
know the answer. What are they trying to prove? I've seen the show but I
watch very little tv, have they run out of urban myths?

A friend of mine was absolutely convinced that if you are flying into a
strong headwind close to stall speed and make a U-turn, you will stall
(because now the wind is coming "from behind").

The basics of flight just isn't obvious to some people.

Ah, but if you are flying near stall with the wind, and the wind suddenly
slows, will you stall?
..OR.
If you are slow on approach, into a gusty head wind, and a gust suddenly
resides, will you stall?

Old December 10th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Some Other Guy" wrote

A friend of mine was absolutely convinced that if you are flying into a
strong headwind close to stall speed and make a U-turn, you will stall
(because now the wind is coming "from behind").

The basics of flight just isn't obvious to some people.

Partially so. IF you could do a 180 degree turn super fast, like .1
second, you would stall.

At least for the amount of time it takes the airplane to accelerate, the
wind would be making you go too slow.

Of course, no plane can make a 180 degree turn that fast, so we are all safe
from the dreaded downwind turn. g

I think one thing that people don't realize is that while a car can make an
instant turn, an airplane can not.

Well, all but Shawn Tucker's plane. I think he could make the turn in less
time than .1 second, from the crazy crap I have seen him do!
--
Jim in NC

Old December 10th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn

" Vacant lot wrote:
I don't understand the premise of the conveyor belt thing. If you are
talking about thrusting an aircraft forward, like a catapult, you already
know the answer, and if the belt is running so the the wheels of the
aircraft are spinning madly while it stays still then again you already
know the answer. What are they trying to prove? I've seen the show but I
watch very little tv, have they run out of urban myths?

A friend of mine was absolutely convinced that if you are flying into a
strong headwind close to stall speed and make a U-turn, you will stall
(because now the wind is coming "from behind").

The basics of flight just isn't obvious to some people.

Ah, but if you are flying near stall with the wind, and the wind suddenly
slows, will you stall?

Yes -- Your momentum needs to catch up with your new (reduced) airspeed.

.OR.
If you are slow on approach, into a gusty head wind, and a gust suddenly
resides, will you stall?

It depends on how much margin you have between stall and airspeed to
begin with. If the margin is less than the (now non-existent) gust, you
will stall. Otherwise, you will see a sudden increase in sink rate.
Old December 10th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Matt Whiting

Some Other Guy wrote:
" Vacant lot wrote:
I don't understand the premise of the conveyor belt thing. If you are
talking about thrusting an aircraft forward, like a catapult, you already
know the answer, and if the belt is running so the the wheels of the
aircraft are spinning madly while it stays still then again you already
know the answer. What are they trying to prove? I've seen the show but I
watch very little tv, have they run out of urban myths?

A friend of mine was absolutely convinced that if you are flying into a
strong headwind close to stall speed and make a U-turn, you will stall
(because now the wind is coming "from behind").

The basics of flight just isn't obvious to some people.

Yes, and they aren't obvious to others just as proper use of grammar
isn't obvious! :-)

Matt

FYI: Dec 12 MythBusters: Airplane Hour Jim Logajan Piloting 217 December 21st 07 11:33 AM
Mythbusters Episode and FMS Marco Leon Piloting 19 February 13th 07 05:45 AM
Mythbusters and explosive decompression Casey Wilson Piloting 49 July 15th 04 05:56 PM
MythBusters Hilton Piloting 7 February 4th 04 03:30 AM
Mythbusters Explosive Decompression Experiment C J Campbell Piloting 49 January 16th 04 07:12 AM