Accident in Namibia, SH Ventus 2cxm

Old February 1st 16, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Accident in Namibia, SH Ventus 2cxm

It would be interesting to know the CG location for all of these.
Old February 1st 16, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le lundi 1 février 2016 20:01:27 UTC+1, Don Johnstone a écrit*:
At 18:23 01 February 2016, Ramy wrote:
Scary! And I don't think there are that many nimbus 4DM out there.

Will be
interesting to compare this number to number of 4DM made. I

wouldn't want
to fly one myself.

Ramy

It would appear that 100 Nimbus 4D were built, of those 11 were 4DT
and 12 were 4D leaving a total of 87 DM of all types.

There is a list of 7 accidents in the previous post due to loss of control.

Just over 8% of the total built have been lost to loss of control
accidents.

I wonder how many other people have to die or parachute to safety
before someone asks the question, should this glider be flying at all.

As the N4DM is certified, it had to be demonstrated that it will exit a spin after 3 turn at most.
Loosing 1800 m in any certified glider while trying to stop the spin is hilarious. This corresponds to something like 12-15 turns. Something has gone wrong very seriously.

Bert
Ventus cM TW

Old February 1st 16, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

I would rather fly an L-13...

Boggs
Old February 1st 16, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Thanks for the detail on your accident in Namibia, Francois. It's fantastic that you are here to help us learn from it.
Quite different to intentionally spinning a training glider like ASK21.
Jim
Old February 1st 16, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

At 20:13 01 February 2016, Tango Whisky wrote:
Le lundi 1 f=E9vrier 2016 20:01:27 UTC+1, Don Johnstone a

=E9crit=A0:
At 18:23 01 February 2016, Ramy wrote:
Scary! And I don't think there are that many nimbus 4DM out

there.=20
Will be
interesting to compare this number to number of 4DM made.

I=20
wouldn't want
to fly one myself.=20

Ramy=20

=20
It would appear that 100 Nimbus 4D were built, of those 11

were 4DT=20
and 12 were 4D leaving a total of 87 DM of all types.
=20
There is a list of 7 accidents in the previous post due to loss of

contro=
l.
=20
Just over 8% of the total built have been lost to loss of

control=20
accidents.
=20
I wonder how many other people have to die or parachute to

safety=20
before someone asks the question, should this glider be flying

at all.

As the N4DM is certified, it had to be demonstrated that it will exit

spi=
n after 3 turn at most.=20
Loosing 1800 m in any certified glider while trying to stop the

spin is
hil=
arious. This corresponds to something like 12-15 turns.

Something has gone
=
wrong very seriously.

Bert
Ventus cM TW

Not sure that spinning is the issue per se, it is what happens after
it stops spinning that seems to be the main issue. For whatever
reason it seems that some pilots have had difficulty stopping VNE
being exceeded in the recovery.
A test pilot might be able to demonstrate a successful recovery but
what about mere mortals?

Old February 1st 16, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 4:30:20 PM UTC-5, Don Johnstone wrote:
[...]

Hmmm.... maybe some of these pilots were taught, "Stick fully forward" in the spin recovery vs., "Get the nose below the horizon" instead. In a draggy trainer, they're slow to accelerate so not as much of an issue, in a "clean ship" speed happens very fast comparatively.
Some of this comes to, "Muscle memory" and whether or not good ideas were trained earlier.

I also agree, some ships do markedly different things depending on CG. Curious if there is a common CG (forward, aft?) on the accident ships.

PS, I know none of the involved pilots nor their experience, so I'm sorta guessing here.
Old February 1st 16, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 11:01:27 AM UTC-8, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 18:23 01 February 2016, Ramy wrote:
Scary! And I don't think there are that many nimbus 4DM out there.

Will be
interesting to compare this number to number of 4DM made. I

wouldn't want
to fly one myself.

Ramy

It would appear that 100 Nimbus 4D were built, of those 11 were 4DT
and 12 were 4D leaving a total of 87 DM of all types.

There is a list of 7 accidents in the previous post due to loss of control.

Just over 8% of the total built have been lost to loss of control
accidents.

I wonder how many other people have to die or parachute to safety
before someone asks the question, should this glider be flying at all.

The statistic is probably much worse giving that not all gliders are airworthy and flying from one reason or another.

Ramy
Old February 2nd 16, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul B[_2_]

As the N4DM is certified, it had to be demonstrated that it will exit a spin after 3 turn at most.
Loosing 1800 m in any certified glider while trying to stop the spin is hilarious.

Maybe not if you in it. But I do see your point, was a spiral mistaken for a spin?

Cheers

Paul

Old February 2nd 16, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

The very long wing open class gliders have a bad record on spin recovery.
They will generally transition to a spiral dive quite early in a spin,
but will accelerate very rapidly on the exit.
If they do get into a stable spin, the momentum in the wings is a problem.

If you have water in the wings, or fuel, then you are a test pilot.
Certification is done dry.

There are at least five Nimbus 4D accidents I am aware of where recovery
was past Vne and the glider broke up on recovery. Ash25 - same story.

Bruce

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771
Old February 2nd 16, 08:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Le vendredi 15 janvier 2016 22:07:57 UTC+1, Jonathan St. Cloud a écrit :
The rigging is very important on a Nimbus and when I first got mine is was rigged horribly and flew horribly. Fixed the rigging and it was a beauty to fly.

Hi Jonathan,
Very interesting. I have a N4DM since 17 years and 2.500 hours and see no possibility at all to change any setting during rigging. I can't understand how I may "rig horribly"... Thanks for explaining to me and others.
Instead, I can change the setting of the flap angle and the force of airbrake locking by changing the extension of the controls between the fuselage and the inner wing, but this is something that takes time and attention, not simply a rigging. BTW, I actually change the airbrake locking force twice a year, for cold flights in Patagonia and warm ones in Europe. See my book "Dancing with the Wind" page 194 and following (on sale at Cumulus Soaring)..
All the best
jm

Namibia - Bitterwasser rhwoody Soaring 4 March 2nd 11 09:33 PM
Ventus 2cxM Solo 2625 01 EGT Installation Chris Woolley Soaring 2 April 4th 08 04:09 AM
Gliding in Namibia Ian Johnston Soaring 13 April 29th 06 07:01 AM
[PICTURES] NAMIBIA Frederic FUCHS Soaring 6 January 13th 06 02:58 PM
Flying In namibia tom Piloting 1 March 22nd 05 07:07 PM