Rubber Band Powered Aircraft?

Old February 13th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Rubber Band Powered Aircraft?

Thanks Ron. The plane looks very familiar, an ultralight that I've
examined at legnth before, but the name escapes me at the moment.

The Monk

Old February 13th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

plane looks very familiar, an ultralight that I've
examined at legnth before, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Looks like leftover Lazair parts.

http://www.ultralightnews.com/lazair/index.html
==================
Leon McAtee

Old February 14th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 23:05:13 -0800, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

Guess what, I was able to find one of the pictures:

http://www.wanttaja.com/RB1.jpg

....and, I found a mention of it, using the search feature of the EAA Sport
Aviation CD-ROM. From the September 1991 issue, page 9:

"New ultralight/light planes included Mark Lokken's RB-1, a rubber band powered
ultralight (it uses surgical tubing for power!)."

No other hits on it, though. Only other hit on 'Mark Lokken' relates to the
seaplane gathering at Oshkosh '98.

Ron "I love the Sport Aviation CDs!" Wanttaja
Old February 14th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

jc wrote:
COLIN LAMB wrote:

snip
Someone must have done it, because in some of the old movies the pilot
yells out "wind 'er up" just before takeoff.

A starting method used for big engines (several 100 hp) involved a removable
handle with a gear train to a high speed flywheel. When the flywheel was
manually wound up to speed by ground crew the pilot engaged a clutch and
the power flowed back through the gear train to the crankshaft hopefully
starting the engine.

In the movie _The Great Escape_ James Garner and Donald Pleasance
steal a Luftwaffe trainer with that type of starter. I forget what it
is called.

Oh, and here is a bit of trivia. Donald Pleasance was an actual
POW during WWII. He was a crewman on a Lancaster (IIRC) that
was shot down.

--

FF

Old February 14th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Morgans wrote:
"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message

Saw one at Oshkosh, in the Ultralight area, about 1988. Was called the

"RB-1",
and for a "band" had some stuff that was originally used on high-tension

lines
for insulation or some such. Heard it had flown successfully, a distance

of
about 300 feet.

Got a picture of it, somewhere...

Do you recall if it had some kind of gearing between the engine and the
prop? I would think you would need to turn some of the torque into higher
RPM to turn the prop, to maximize run time. Just a guess.
--

You could also launch with a bungee and then sustain with the prop.

--

FF

Old February 14th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote

In the movie _The Great Escape_ James Garner and Donald Pleasance
steal a Luftwaffe trainer with that type of starter. I forget what it
is called.

Inertial starter. It is highly geared, so you start out cranking really
slow, then it picks up speed.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 14th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Bryan Martin wrote:
in article ,
at wrote on 2/14/06 1:18 PM:

jc wrote:
COLIN LAMB wrote:

snip
Someone must have done it, because in some of the old movies the pilot
yells out "wind 'er up" just before takeoff.

A starting method used for big engines (several 100 hp) involved a removable
handle with a gear train to a high speed flywheel. When the flywheel was
manually wound up to speed by ground crew the pilot engaged a clutch and
the power flowed back through the gear train to the crankshaft hopefully
starting the engine.

In the movie _The Great Escape_ James Garner and Donald Pleasance
steal a Luftwaffe trainer with that type of starter. I forget what it
is called.

Oh, and here is a bit of trivia. Donald Pleasance was an actual
POW during WWII. He was a crewman on a Lancaster (IIRC) that
was shot down.

That airplane in the move may have had an actual hand crank starter like
many old cars used to have. It seems unlikely that such a small plane would
have used an inertial starter. But then the Germans have been known to over
engineer things.

ISTM that a trainer for fighter pilots should have a very big engine to
prepare the pilots for real fighters with engines over 1,000 hp.

In the movie, the starter functioned as OP described, the cranking
started out slowly and got faster and faster before there was any
indication that the engine kicked in.

--

FF

Old February 15th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

wrote

In the movie _The Great Escape_ James Garner and Donald Pleasance
steal a Luftwaffe trainer with that type of starter. I forget what it
is called.

Inertial starter. It is highly geared, so you start out cranking really
slow, then it picks up speed.

Some Stearmans had an inertial starter. I remember that the University
of Illinois used them for an aerobatic course in the late 1950s/early
1960s.

They had an electric setup that wound up the starter to a certain sound.
then the pilot threw a clutch and the engine started turning, then it
got that "Blurp!, Blup!, Cough!, Ptupp, Ptupp, Ptupp" sound of a radial
starting up, along with a small cloud of blue smoke. I have always loved
that whole sequence of sounds! My second favorite startup sound is that
of a Bendix E-80 starter, with its muffled sound s it starts an engine
(used on everything from an O-435 Lycoming through an R-1340 P&W).

Some inertial starters used internal power to wind up the flywheel, too.
Old February 15th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Thank you Leon and Chuck. I'm surprised that I haven't seen clips of
these flying. There's no reason why it wouldn't fly.

The Monk