Schempp Hirth interior grey - paint match

Old February 24th 13, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

Default Schempp Hirth interior grey - paint match

Looking to touch up the interior of my early 80's Nimbus and have been searching for that "just right" grey color in a rattle can (USA market). I've looked at Krylon, Rustoleum and Valspar. So far the Valspar "smoke infusion" color (85039) is closest, but it's still a bit on the light side. Anyone found the perfect match?

I can always go to my local industrial paint supplier and get a can of matched lacquer / enamel, but would rather avoid having to get out the spray equipment each time I want to do a part.

Thanks,
Craig
Old February 24th 13, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn

On 2/24/2013 3:55 PM, Craig Funston wrote:
I can always go to my local industrial paint supplier and get a can of matched lacquer / enamel,
but would rather avoid having to get out the spray equipment each

time I want to do a part.

There's always Preval. http://www.preval.com/what-is-preval

Vaughn
Old February 24th 13, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Sunday, February 24, 2013 1:00:53 PM UTC-8, Vaughn wrote:
On 2/24/2013 3:55 PM, Craig Funston wrote:

I can always go to my local industrial paint supplier and get a can of matched lacquer / enamel,

but would rather avoid having to get out the spray equipment each

time I want to do a part.

There's always Preval. http://www.preval.com/what-is-preval

Vaughn

Thanks Vaughn,

I've used them in the past. Still some cleanup time, but not as much as the full gun.

Craig
Old February 25th 13, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:55:06 PM UTC-8, Craig Funston wrote:
Looking to touch up the interior of my early 80's Nimbus and have been searching for that "just right" grey color in a rattle can (USA market). I've looked at Krylon, Rustoleum and Valspar. So far the Valspar "smoke infusion" color (85039) is closest, but it's still a bit on the light side. Anyone found the perfect match?

I can always go to my local industrial paint supplier and get a can of matched lacquer / enamel, but would rather avoid having to get out the spray equipment each time I want to do a part.

Thanks,

Craig

Rust-oleum, pewter grey (7783) is a close match for Shempp-Hirth. Omni-pak F22508 is close to DG cockpit color. 2in1 primer grey is a good rattle can primer(4603) that I found at my local automotive paint store. I wire brush the rust off then cover everything but the item to be sprayed with an old sheet ( hole cut in the center). Best to remove the canopy to prevent over-spraying it.
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old February 25th 13, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Monday, February 25, 2013 6:42:24 AM UTC-8, JJ Sinclair wrote:
[...]

Thanks JJ, I was hoping you'd pipe in.

Craig

Schempp-Hirth 2a/2b cockpit fit vs ASW-20? [email protected] Soaring 14 April 9th 12 01:46 PM
schempp-hirth shk-1 shkdriver Soaring 3 September 5th 08 03:38 AM
FS: Schempp-Hirth Discus A Tim Hanke Soaring 0 February 19th 06 02:16 PM
Schempp-Hirth Mel Dawson Soaring 0 February 15th 06 04:08 PM
Schempp Hirth or its Representatives... Chris OCallaghan Soaring 11 September 23rd 03 09:28 AM