Questions pondered at 6500 feet

Old January 16th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Questions pondered at 6500 feet

We enjoyed a 45 knot tailwind all the way to our favorite fly-in restaurant
today (The CAVU Cafe, in Janesville, WI [KJVL]).

This blessing naturally switched to a 45 knot curse on the way home.

Droning along has its advantages. The headwind gave my kids ample time for
a nap, and gave Mary and me plenty of time to ponder the following questions
for the group:

1. Airports were originally huge grass fields that allowed arrivals and
departures in any direction, on any heading. Are there any airports left
that provide 360 degrees of access?

2. We often hear commercial airliners "cleared for the visual approach" into
thus-and-such an airport. However, we *also* often hear commercial
airliners "cleared for the ILS Rwy 14 approach" (for example) -- even though
conditions in the area are perfectly CAVU.

Since we haven't heard the airliner SAY they wanted an instrument approach,
how/why does the controller know to clear them for anything other than the
visual approach?

Inquiring minds, doncha know?

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 16th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:

1. Airports were originally huge grass fields that allowed arrivals and
departures in any direction, on any heading. Are there any airports left
that provide 360 degrees of access?

There are a few in southern Indiana, I think. I couldn't remember the
names to save my life, but I remember flying over one.
Old January 16th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

2. We often hear commercial airliners "cleared for the visual approach"
into thus-and-such an airport. However, we *also* often hear commercial
airliners "cleared for the ILS Rwy 14 approach" (for example) -- even
though conditions in the area are perfectly CAVU.

Since we haven't heard the airliner SAY they wanted an instrument
approach, how/why does the controller know to clear them for anything
other than the visual approach?

Inquiring minds, doncha know?

Use of an instrument approach simplifies establishing an arrival sequence.

Old January 16th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Since we haven't heard the airliner SAY they wanted an instrument
approach, how/why does the controller know to clear them for anything
other than the visual approach?

Use of an instrument approach simplifies establishing an arrival sequence.

So this choice is entirely up to the controller?

Seems like a giant pain for the flight crew, to have to keep all the various
approach plates, etc., at hand. (I'm assuming the commuter airlines we
usually hear don't have the sophisticated flight controllers on-board, with
all the pre-loaded approaches ready to be punched in at a moment's notice?)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 16th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:

2. We often hear commercial airliners "cleared for the visual approach" into
thus-and-such an airport. However, we *also* often hear commercial
airliners "cleared for the ILS Rwy 14 approach" (for example) -- even though
conditions in the area are perfectly CAVU.

Since we haven't heard the airliner SAY they wanted an instrument approach,
how/why does the controller know to clear them for anything other than the
visual approach?

Practice. You didn't hear the initial contact when the airliner
requested a certain approach. Airline pilots, especially the regionals,
know the places they can get these practice approaches. We do this all
the time.
Old January 16th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
newslEyf.701287$x96.296658@attbi_s72...

So this choice is entirely up to the controller?

Probably not. Understand that there are many airports where it generally
isn't necessary for the controller to establish an arrival sequence. The
need to do that implies a fair amount of traffic.

Seems like a giant pain for the flight crew, to have to keep all the
various approach plates, etc., at hand. (I'm assuming the commuter
airlines we usually hear don't have the sophisticated flight controllers
on-board, with all the pre-loaded approaches ready to be punched in at a
moment's notice?)

Where's the pain? The approach in use will be on the ATIS, crews generally
have that information before they ever talk to approach control. And it is
a crew, it ain't one guy thumbing through a Jepp binder while trying to
hand-fly the airplane.

Old January 16th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:

Seems like a giant pain for the flight crew, to have to keep all the various
approach plates, etc., at hand.

That's why all the pilots headed for the pointy end of that Delta or Continental
are carrying those big black cases.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old January 16th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article DlEyf.701287$x96.296658@attbi_s72,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Seems like a giant pain for the flight crew, to have to keep all the various
approach plates, etc., at hand. (I'm assuming the commuter airlines we
usually hear don't have the sophisticated flight controllers on-board, with
all the pre-loaded approaches ready to be punched in at a moment's notice?)

actuallly, a lot of the commuter and RJ's have newer stuff than the larger
aircraft

--
Bob Noel
goodness - the NFL officials are making

Old January 16th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It isn't any problem for a professional crew to fly any
approach at the airports they use. Scheduled airlines may
use only a few dozen airports and have only a few dozen more
available airports that they can use in an emergency. Plus
they must be route qualified. The charts are organized and
it only takes a few moments to select and tune for a
different approach.

It is recommended that when flying to a destination, all the
available approach plates for the destination and the
alternate be located and placed on the clipboard.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Bob Noel" wrote in
message

Old January 16th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 02:58:27 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Inquiring minds, doncha know?

To expand on what other have said, When we are coming in on an IFR
flight, if we don't advise that the airport is in sight, then they
will clear us for XYZ approach. At the moment that we advise that the
field is in sight, then they clear us for the visual. It just ensures
the controller that we can find the field.

Scott D.

Scott D.