Introduction: Hello everyone.

Old February 17th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Introduction: Hello everyone.

Hi Richard,

Richard Lamb wrote:

I dunno, Don.
ESPECIALLY about the "testing" part. g

What's wrong with just shutting the engine down before pulling
the ripcord?

Windmilling? Now if you had a full feathering prop, and the time
to wind it down it might work. There is still a chance of getting
the lines tangled in the prop even if it isn't rotating.

Don W.

Old February 17th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Don W" wrote in message
om...
Hi Richard,

Richard Lamb wrote:

I dunno, Don.
ESPECIALLY about the "testing" part. g

What's wrong with just shutting the engine down before pulling
the ripcord?

Windmilling? Now if you had a full feathering prop, and the time
to wind it down it might work. There is still a chance of getting
the lines tangled in the prop even if it isn't rotating.

Don W.

If you are going to go to the trouble of figuring out a way to eject the
engine I'd think you could come up with a prop brake to stop the thing.

While I'm not a fan of chutes and would hardly redesign an already well
designed plane to install one aren't there ULs in the pusher configuration
that have them installed?

Old February 17th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Don W" wrote in message t...
Hi Jim,

I was _mostly_ kidding about jettisoning the engine. The problem
is how to do a ballistic chute in a pusher _without_ first jettisoning

A shroud or other sort of barrier could be deployed just before the chute pops...

If you really want to drop the engine, forget the cables and all and do a real FADEC control. Still have to deal with
the fuel lines...

Old February 18th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Don W" wrote in message
. com...

I'd really like to build something like a pressurized turboVelocity with
the VNE pushed up to 250kts. I'd also like it to have a built in
ballistic chute system which jettisons the engine (to its own chute)
before deployment.

instead of asking us, wouldn't it be wiser to ask the makers of ballistic
chutes?

Old February 18th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Tater Schuld" wrote in message

instead of asking us, wouldn't it be wiser to ask the makers of ballistic
chutes?

But that might be expensive!
--
Jim in NC

Old February 18th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Tater Schuld" wrote in message

instead of asking us, wouldn't it be wiser to ask the makers of ballistic
chutes?

But that might be expensive!

I'll pay the postage for the email!

Old February 18th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 23:50:54 GMT, Don W
wrote:

I'd really like to build something like a pressurized turboVelocity with
the VNE pushed up to 250kts. I'd also like it to have a built in
ballistic chute system which jettisons the engine (to its own chute)
before deployment.

Don W.

It's already been done; ejection seat!

Remember to carry a camera to prove you were not flying the plane when
it hit the school.

You might get enough for that smoking hole in the ground photo to buy
another plane.
Old February 18th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

As you know, ballistic chutes have been around for a very long time.
I also was not a fan of them until very recently. What changed my
mind were two incidents: In the first, a Cirrus suffered engine
failure at night over mountainous terrain and the pilot popped
the chute. IIRC the incident happened in Canada.
The picture I saw on the web showed the plane perched
precariously in the middle of a rock strewn slope which was so
steep that the airplane had slid backwards about 100 feet or so.
From the picture of the terrain, it was clear to me that all
four people would probably have died without the chute. As it
happened, they were not even injured. The second incident occured
January 13, 2006 and also involved a Cirrus. You can read the
NTSB report he

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...18X00086&key=1

The pilot was climbing out in IMC and acquired an ice load.
ATC cleared him up to 9000 and during the climb the airplane
stalled at 80KIAS! The Cirrus went into a spin which he was
unable to recover from, so he popped the chute. The pilot
and his two passengers were uninjured.

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

If you are going to go to the trouble of figuring out a way to eject the
engine I'd think you could come up with a prop brake to stop the thing.

You wouldn't need a brake to get a fully feathering prop to stop. Even
with the propeller stopped it seems that getting the chute to deploy
without snagging risers on the prop would be problematic

While I'm not a fan of chutes and would hardly redesign an already well
designed plane to install one aren't there ULs in the pusher configuration
that have them installed?

I don't know the answer to that.

Don W.

Old February 18th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

..Blueskies. wrote:

"Don W" wrote

Hi Jim,

I was _mostly_ kidding about jettisoning the engine. The problem
is how to do a ballistic chute in a pusher _without_ first jettisoning

A shroud or other sort of barrier could be deployed just before the chute pops...

I'm not sure what you mean here, although I'm thinking about it...

If you really want to drop the engine, forget the cables and all and do a real FADEC control. Still have to deal with
the fuel lines...

Then I guess you'd need an electrical quick disconnect. Probably easier
to do. What about the prop control? I haven't been close and personal
with one of the new FADEC engines so don't know if they changed the way
the prop govenor works.

Don W.

Old February 18th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Morgans wrote:

"Don W" wrote

When you pull the lever, the compressed air blows the firewall
off the back, seperating the fuel lines, control box, and
heater box, and exposing the chutes.

Could work, and would be a lot of fun to design and test ;-)

What do you think?

Still too many variables, for my liking. KISS, when it comes to something
like an emergency system of this type.

Who knows what other sh... I mean crap has already hit the fan, when this is
necessary to deploy. Can you be sure that everything will work just
perfect, in every possible situation, when it is really, really needed? You
know, like spinning, inverted, past Vne, total electrical failure, fire, and
a dozen other things that I could not even think of.

I'm not sure that its possible to design a system that will work
in every situation. Even ejection seats fail occasionally and
the new ones are _really_ sophisticated.

If the engine and prop is the problem you are concerned with, use a lead of
steel or kevlar for the first few feet of parachute cable, to make sure that
it is stronger than the prop. You could have the arming system shut down
the engine, then after a short delay, the chute goes. I would also think
that you could make a prop brake to stop the prop quickly, and prevent
windmilling. A motorcycle disk brake should work. As long as the prop is
stopped, I can't imagine how it could get tangled in the prop.

I've no doubt that you can stop the prop. I'd still be concerned with
some part of the chute getting wrapped around one or more prop blades
causing a tangle or other malfunction. As I think about it, I wonder
how Cirrus makes sure that they don't tangle in the vert or horz stabs.
Its kind of the same problem.

Of course, a side benefit to ejecting the engine is that you just got
rid of 400-500 lbs which would otherwise be sitting behind the back
passengers when you hit the ground.

You no doubt have found that the group will get into mental exercises like
this, and you know what they say about opinions... g

Yeah, everyones got one. Thats okay, 'cause I have mine too g

Don W.