North Aire floats.

Old February 4th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fortunat1[_8_]

Default North Aire floats.

Anyone have experience with these? Wag Aero are selling plans for these
still. Anyone know of their history? were they always a homebuilt design?
Are they compartmentalised like Edos? Performance? ease of building,
expense?

TIA!

F1
Old February 4th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Drew Dalgleish

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 18:43:28 +0000 (UTC), Fortunat1 wrote:

Anyone have experience with these? Wag Aero are selling plans for these
still. Anyone know of their history? were they always a homebuilt design?
Are they compartmentalised like Edos? Performance? ease of building,
expense?

TIA!

F1

They're not very big. Only about 1400# IIRC what are you putting them
on?
Old February 5th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote

They're not very big. Only about 1400# IIRC what are you putting them
on?

Dang, those are some heavy floats!!! g

Really though, if you are talking about how much gross weight they will
handle, that fits very nicely for the LSA, don't you think?
--
Jim in NC

Old February 5th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans

"Fortunat1" wrote

Big enough, Junior Ace or Cub... Off the top of my head Wag Aero
mentioned up to 1500..
I'm not too enthusiastic about wood floats and I would like to scratch
build them as opposed to going for one of the (expensive) foam options
or the even more expensive second hand edo option..

Why is it that you are not enthusiastic about wood floats? Something about
using them, or building them?
--
Jim in NC

Old February 5th 07, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John P Kimmel

Fortunat1 wrote:
Anyone have experience with these? Wag Aero are selling plans for these
still. Anyone know of their history? were they always a homebuilt design?
Are they compartmentalised like Edos? Performance? ease of building,
expense?

TIA!

F1

I have the drawings, they have water tight compartments. They are built
a lot like Edos or Wiplines or PeeKays, except whithout the fluted
bottoms. They are definitely not for sheetmetal beginners. They
also look extremely heavy. If you want metal kit floats, I recommend
Zeniths based on having seen a set under construction. I'll sell you my
drawings for half of whatever Wag-Aero's selling theirs for, if you want
to look at them.

--
John Kimmel

GET YER STINKING PAWS OFF ME YOU DAMN DIRTY APE!
Old February 5th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fortunat1

John P Kimmel wrote in
:

Fortunat1 wrote:
Anyone have experience with these? Wag Aero are selling plans for
these still. Anyone know of their history? were they always a
homebuilt design? Are they compartmentalised like Edos? Performance?
ease of building, expense?

TIA!

F1

I have the drawings, they have water tight compartments. They are
built a lot like Edos or Wiplines or PeeKays, except whithout the
fluted bottoms. They are definitely not for sheetmetal beginners.

Ok, that's a bit discouraging since I've done very little riveting.

They also look extremely heavy.

Mm, don't want that either...

If you want metal kit floats, I
recommend Zeniths based on having seen a set under construction. I'll
sell you my drawings for half of whatever Wag-Aero's selling theirs
for, if you want to look at them.

Well, I wanted to build them from scratch. Do no harm to look at the
North Aire drawings to see what I might see. I'll drop you a line OK?

Old February 5th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fortunat1

"Morgans" wrote in
:

"Fortunat1" wrote

Big enough, Junior Ace or Cub... Off the top of my head Wag Aero
mentioned up to 1500..
I'm not too enthusiastic about wood floats and I would like to
scratch build them as opposed to going for one of the (expensive)
foam options or the even more expensive second hand edo option..

Why is it that you are not enthusiastic about wood floats? Something
about using them, or building them?

Well, I imagine that metal floats might be more maintenence free and
easier to repair, not to mention more impervious to getting water
logged. having said that, I don't know enough about either to make an
informed decision there, but more than that I just want to try something
in sheet metal, never having made more than cowlings and covers out of
the stuff before..

Old February 5th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans

"Fortunat1" wrote

Well, I imagine that metal floats might be more maintenence free and
easier to repair, not to mention more impervious to getting water
logged. having said that, I don't know enough about either to make an
informed decision there, but more than that I just want to try something
in sheet metal, never having made more than cowlings and covers out of
the stuff before..

Understood...

Although, metal corrodes, especially in sal****er.

Wood does not. It also does not matter to wood one little bit if the water
is salt or fresh.

Wood boat has been done for many years. Epoxy coatings make wood
practically immune to rot. Some also use wood as a core, and a very thin
fiberglass coating inside and out to protect the wood. Some of the best
looking and best performing homebuilts are built that way.

You have to follow your own heart with a material choice, of course, but
don't write off wood. I have never looked for wood float plans, and don't
know how well they hold up, or how heavy they turn out.

It does sound interesting, enough so that I may poke around a little, now
that my interest has be peaked! g
--
Jim in NC

Old February 5th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ed Sullivan

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 16:29:08 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Fortunat1" wrote

[...]

I think that is piqued, engines peak