Adventures In Baffle Seal Land! (Long)

Old January 8th 08, 08:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
NW_Pilot

Default Adventures In Baffle Seal Land! (Long)

Annuals Complete, IA was happy with my baffle repairs. I learned allot about
riveting, spacing, and collected a bunch of new tools necessitating the
purchase of a vary large roll around tool box and 2 stage air compressor
24cfm 150psi hahaha...

Now to the baffle seal part:

I removed the baffles from the engine, the seals were in bad shape
deterioration was 100% unacceptable and crumbling they were stapled on took
some time to get them off off the sheet metal non salvageable for templates.

Used 2" scotch bright pads with a air Powered DA necessitating the purchase
a much larger air compressor 2 stage 80 gallon to clean up the aluminum
had some surface corrosion and some cracks and ware marks (combing) Obtained
some pieces of scrap aluminum from Horizon air's scrap pile (dumpster diving
again shame on me!) Got a 8" X 7" and a 5 " X 12" was more then enough
material to do the repairs to the baffles and have lots of extra.

A&P gives me tool list, Snap-on truck and Sears I was bound. Some $$ and
more tools than on the list Later I returned to a stack of papers explaining
riveting and patching techniques and a note, Have fun see you in a day or
so! Well I guess I did o.k. no complaints on my fab'd parts, patches, and
cuts.

I Went on a hunt for some zinc chromate primer hahaha have fun found a local
paint store with a 2 part zinc chromate so it was back to the tool store for
a paint gun and compressor supplies.

Baffling is primed and painted(Generic White)

Grabbed a roll of baffle seal material and misc attachment hardware springs
etc from local store Columbia Airmotive very helpful people.

I get back and unroll it say phuck-it this is not going to look good and be
very time consuming. I did a few Internet searches and ordered from
enginebaffles.com had it shipped 2nd day with Saturday delivery. Decided
cutting them my self without good templates was not such a good idea did not
take me long to find that out it would be to time consuming. The cost was
133.00 + shipping about $32.00.

I awoke to Fedex knocking on the door I answered in my boxers and wife
beater (normal lounging attire) with the sleep still in my eyes I open the
box to see these blue silicon seals. The Coffee is on! Wife is getting
excited she can have her kitchen back in a few hours (I am evil).

I was thinking? (Happens every now and then...)I grabbed a large sheet of
hard card board and a very fin point sharpie my wife is giving me strange
looks as i lay on the floor like a kid with a new toy and my boy says he
wants to help looks like fun :-) well we traced and cut out every piece on
hard cardboard for future templates just in case.... Well they got used by a
friend with sheet of Cowl Saver cut him some baffle seals.

The problems.... Nothing major some pre-drilled holes not in the right spot
(left out of template)and one piece to short by 1/4 inch extended on my
template. No instructions but after some playing with (back to tool store)
clamps was able to figure out riveting order and we to together with ease
1/8" solid rivet's..

The Reinstall.

Simple, Cowling install was a bit more difficult sealed a lot better. And
all new hardware springs etc. The cowl saver material he is using looks like
it will be a better fit...

Was a very fun project....learning experience.... and lots of new fun tools
:-)

Now I need to fly this bird a bit more...... This year....

So anyone needs a template's for a late model 150 with prop spacer I have
them and will make or loan you them to you If I had to do it again I would
use cowl saver material easier to work with rather then silicone.

Old January 8th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"NW_Pilot" wrote in message
. ..
Annuals Complete, IA was happy with my baffle repairs. I learned allot
about riveting, spacing, and collected a bunch of new tools
necessitating the purchase of a vary large roll around tool box and 2
stage air compressor 24cfm 150psi hahaha...

But Honey! Look at how much I saved by making the baffles myself!!!

(The important thing is that you had fun)

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old January 8th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Annuals Complete, IA was happy with my baffle repairs. I learned allot
about riveting, spacing, and collected a bunch of new tools
necessitating the purchase of a vary large roll around tool box and 2
stage air compressor 24cfm 150psi hahaha...

Be careful -- it's a slippery slope. In a few years your hangar will look
like mine.

(When they put in a new cement floor, we had to rent the largest "P.O.D."
available, just to store our stuff for a few weeks.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote in message
news:dMydnc8CL5UkaB7anZ2dnUVZ_r6rnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
. ..

Old January 9th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
NW_Pilot

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Annuals Complete, IA was happy with my baffle repairs. I learned allot
about riveting, spacing, and collected a bunch of new tools
necessitating the purchase of a vary large roll around tool box and 2
stage air compressor 24cfm 150psi hahaha...

Be careful -- it's a slippery slope. In a few years your hangar will look
like mine.

(When they put in a new cement floor, we had to rent the largest "P.O.D."
available, just to store our stuff for a few weeks.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"
"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote in message
news:dMydnc8CL5UkaB7anZ2dnUVZ_r6rnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
"NW_Pilot" wrote in message
. ..
Annuals Complete, IA was happy with my baffle repairs. I learned allot
about riveting, spacing, and collected a bunch of new tools
necessitating the purchase of a vary large roll around tool box and 2
stage air compressor 24cfm 150psi hahaha...

But Honey! Look at how much I saved by making the baffles myself!!!

(The important thing is that you had fun)

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Already need more room "at least there is not a Turbo 350 Transmission
sitting in the bath tub again wife did not like that that day hahahaha!!!

Old January 9th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"NW_Pilot" wrote in message
. ..
Already need more room "at least there is not a Turbo 350 Transmission
sitting in the bath tub again wife did not like that that day hahahaha!!!

I swear, I just don't understand women...

After I got married, my wife made me leave the motorcycle out in the garage.
(Well, in fairness, I should mention that she didn't have a problem with me
keeping it in the basement for the winter. And - oh - a "burnout" will melt
linoleum - who woulda thought that?)

Old January 9th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
xyzzy

On Jan 8, 6:43 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
Annuals Complete, IA was happy with my baffle repairs. I learned allot
about riveting, spacing, and collected a bunch of new tools
necessitating the purchase of a vary large roll around tool box and 2
stage air compressor 24cfm 150psi hahaha...

Be careful -- it's a slippery slope. In a few years your hangar will look
like mine.

This post requires a picture.
Old January 10th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Be careful -- it's a slippery slope. In a few years your hangar will
look
like mine.

This post requires a picture.

I wish I had one.

When the city installed a new cement floor in our hangar, last summer, we
had to rent the biggest "P.O.D.S." (one of those storage units delivered by
a semi-truck) to hold all of our stuff. I couldn't believe the amount of
crap we'd accumulated over 9 years!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

adventures with FAA medical Cub Driver Piloting 5 February 17th 06 03:43 PM
IO540 baffle repair Jim Burns Owning 2 January 9th 06 08:24 PM
Online Book: By Air, Seal Land. The US Navy in Vietnam Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 August 4th 05 01:48 AM
Adventures in TSA land Michael Piloting 65 October 26th 04 04:07 PM
The further adventures of Dr. Hacksaw Dan Luke Piloting 5 August 11th 04 07:30 PM