Cheap German gliding

Old October 7th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan G

Default Cheap German gliding

On Oct 6, 11:04 pm, Andreas Maurer wrote:
No member in my club pays more than 600$ per year for gliding, all
costs included.
Lots of young people, too.

Bye
Andreas

I'll bite. How does you club make that work? If we paid the same, we'd
cover barely a third of the cost of our rent, insurance, staff costs,
maintenance, fuel etc.

Dan

Old October 7th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo

On Oct 7, 6:54 am, Dan G wrote:
On Oct 6, 11:04 pm, Andreas Maurer wrote:

No member in my club pays more than 600$ per year for gliding, all
costs included.
Lots of young people, too.

Bye
Andreas

I'll bite. How does you club make that work? If we paid the same, we'd
cover barely a third of the cost of our rent, insurance, staff costs,
maintenance, fuel etc.

Dan

I have visited a few German clubs about 8-9 years ago and talked to
the people that run those clubs. I will list what stood out in my
mind.

I noted the following with one club http://www.lsgerbsloeh.de/

This club is surrounded by a relative large population base.
They maximizing the use of the field.
The Field is used to grow hay.
All flying equipment is self insured but for Liability.
The Insurance money is invested and is generating income.
They own a single dual winch, plus one tow plane.
When the need arises the rent additional tow planes.
They stage air events twice a year and the local population is
invited.
This is promoted extensively. It combines an air show with active
participation, complete food services it is common to have 20000
visitors. It generates around 25000 Euros net for the club.
Planning is long-term.
The fleet is update regularly.
The club is in the forefront of generating high calibre contest
pilots. Also the club holds twice a year regular flying seminars which
are attended by Dutch, Belgian and Danes that bring there own
gliders.
Within the club cross Country flying is stressed at all times.
A limited number of none pilot, mostly teenagers about 8-10, are
invited to join each year. If you are under the age of 16 , the
parents are involved as to what is expect of there child,in terms of
time and other commitments, besides the weekend flying.
The facilities are nice which includes and indoor / outdoor
restaurant,
in a park like setting, which is run by the club with full services on
the weekend, generating funds.
Since its humble beginning in 1954 the club had to move twice and has
been at this place for at least 35 years.

All this has been accomplished over time without outside help.
The club has received on numerous occasions the title Centre of
excellence award.
Udo

Old October 7th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Oct 7, 9:55 am, Udo wrote:
On Oct 7, 6:54 am, Dan G wrote:

[...]

We had a young Czech glider pilot here for a couple of years building
power time and ratings. He's now flying regional European airlines.
His club owned the airfield and leased out several buildings for
commercial/industrial use which resulted in the club operating at
_minimal_ charges.

Frank Whiteley

Old October 7th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey[_2_]

Frank Whiteley wrote:
We had a young Czech glider pilot here for a couple of years building
power time and ratings. He's now flying regional European airlines.
His club owned the airfield and leased out several buildings for
commercial/industrial use which resulted in the club operating at
_minimal_ charges.

The key factor here is how the club came to own the airfield. One
common factor among the clubs I visited in the UK last year is that they
owned beautiful grass WW II era airfields. When I asked how that
happened, the stories were pretty much the same, the government sold to
them for a relatively low price, with the concurrence of the local towns
who didn't want them turned into housing developments or industry.

Here in the USA, such a notion would be completely ludicrous 8^)

Marc
Old October 8th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Oct 7, 1:55 pm, Marc Ramsey wrote:
Frank Whiteley wrote:
We had a young Czech glider pilot here for a couple of years building
power time and ratings. He's now flying regional European airlines.
His club owned the airfield and leased out several buildings for
commercial/industrial use which resulted in the club operating at
_minimal_ charges.

The key factor here is how the club came to own the airfield. One
common factor among the clubs I visited in the UK last year is that they
owned beautiful grass WW II era airfields. When I asked how that
happened, the stories were pretty much the same, the government sold to
them for a relatively low price, with the concurrence of the local towns
who didn't want them turned into housing developments or industry.

Here in the USA, such a notion would be completely ludicrous 8^)

Marc

I wonder if anyone from the US who was in the sport a while back (say
1950s thorugh 1970s) can explain what was different in the US. Why
weren't clubs acquiring land? There are a few clubs around (PGC and
M-ASA come to mind) which bought land that has now guaranteed their
(financial) future. By the time I got into soaring in the early
1980s, there was already the problem that land near population centers
(i.e. one hour or less drive) was already becoming prohibitively
expensive. Today, for example, getting anything within about an 1:30
drive of NYC would mean an investment well into the $ millions.

Just curious to get some historical perspective.

Erik Mann
LS8-18 (P3)

Old October 8th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

oups.com...
Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

There are many reasons but one is that the US is somewhat unique in having
publicly funded general aviation airports, some of which host soaring
operations. The question was and is, "If you can get guaranteed access to
airport facilities on the taxpayer's nickel, why buy your own?" Right now,
the utilization of many of these public GA airports is way down due to the
high price of avgas so more may become available for soaring operations.

I'm not saying that using public airports is the best idea in the long run
but it does have some advantages. One of the big ones is that the club
management can concentrate on gliders and tugs and not involve itself in
real estate. If there is an FBO who does a good job of providing tows at a
reasonable price, the club has only to manage its gliders which can be a
very good thing.

On the other hand, clubs with their own airfields and clubhouses seem to be
more stable in the long run. As for the price of that real estate, it has
always been "way too expensive" in current dollars and very cheap in
historical dollars. If you buy it now, sooner or later, it will look like a
cheap price.

Bill Daniels

Old October 8th 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 10:54:45 -0000, Dan G wrote:

I'll bite. How does you club make that work? If we paid the same, we'd
cover barely a third of the cost of our rent, insurance, staff costs,
maintenance, fuel etc.

- Winch launch (more than 90 percent of of our launches are done with
the winch)
- no paid staff at all
- modest monthly fees (64 Euro per year for adolescents, 128 Euro/year
for adults)

.... and, what is (in my opinion), the secret:
No hourly fees for glider-usage, but any active member of the club
pays an all-inclusive price that covers ALL the winch launches and
ALL the flying time (at the moment 259 Euro/year). The only additional
costs are the costs for aerotows. A student pilots pays the same fee
as any long-time member.

http://djk-landau.de/sites/gebuehren.html

This means that even on a day without thermals there's a lot of
activity going on - and even an ASW-27 is used to fly traffic circuits
all day. Good for student pilots, too, because they can be sure that
there'll be flying activity as long as it's not raining cats and dogs.

All gliders have a full physical damage insurance.

http://djk-landau.de/sites/flugzeugpark.html

Active members: About 90 at the moment (60 when I joined the club in
1986)

In 2001 we were able to buy our airfield (which was previously
property of the French Army and was handed to the German Government
when the French left Germany after 1990) together with the second club
that flies at Landau. Each club paid about 150.000 Euro.

We don't use bank loans, but we use low-interest loans from our
members to pay new gliders and the airfield.

Bye
Andreas
Old October 8th 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
alex8735

On 7 Okt., 17:55, Udo wrote:
On Oct 7, 6:54 am, Dan G wrote:

On Oct 6, 11:04 pm, Andreas Maurer wrote:

No member in my club pays more than 600$ per year for gliding, all
costs included.
Lots of young people, too.

Bye
Andreas

I'll bite. How does you club make that work? If we paid the same, we'd
cover barely a third of the cost of our rent, insurance, staff costs,
maintenance, fuel etc.

Dan

I have visited a few German clubs about 8-9 years ago and talked to
the people that run those clubs. I will list what stood out in my
mind.

I noted the following with one clubhttp://www.lsgerbsloeh.de/

This club is surrounded by a relative large population base.

This is a great advantage but please keep in mind that there are also
at least 6 other airfields with glider operations within a radius of
30km.

They maximizing the use of the field.
The Field is used to grow hay.

The grass ist always kept low for safety reasons...no good for growing
hay.

All flying equipment is self insured but for Liability.
The Insurance money is invested and is generating income.
They own a single dual winch, plus one tow plane.
When the need arises the rent additional tow planes.

I have never seen a second towplane in Langenfeld.

They stage air events twice a year and the local population is
invited.

Only once a year.

This is promoted extensively. It combines an air show with active
participation, complete food services it is common to have 20000
visitors. It generates around 25000 Euros net for the club.
Planning is long-term.
The fleet is update regularly.
The club is in the forefront of generating high calibre contest
pilots. Also the club holds twice a year regular flying seminars which
are attended by Dutch, Belgian and Danes that bring there own
gliders.

As far as I know there have not been any really big seminars in the
past years.

Within the club cross Country flying is stressed at all times.
A limited number of none pilot, mostly teenagers about 8-10, are
invited to join each year. If you are under the age of 16 , the
parents are involved as to what is expect of there child,in terms of
time and other commitments, besides the weekend flying.
The facilities are nice which includes and indoor / outdoor
restaurant,
in a park like setting, which is run by the club with full services on
the weekend, generating funds.

This is going a bit to far;-) There is no restaurant in Langenfeld and
as far as I know never has been. There are other clubs which use
restaurants as a source of income.

Since its humble beginning in 1954 the club had to move twice and has
been at this place for at least 35 years.

All this has been accomplished over time without outside help.
The club has received on numerous occasions the title Centre of
excellence award.
Udo

The club in Langenfeld has its own share of problems and definatly is
not as good as portrayed.

As far as I know German clubs are often far cheaper than US clubs
because they are struktured differently. Members are expected to do
all the work themselves. Everybody has a job to to from mowing the
gras, fleet maintenance or instructing. Maintenance only costs the
materials used. Fuel is not a problem because a winch launch barely
uses 1 lite r of diesel. Airfields are often in posession of the clubs
or cheaply leased from the city. The biggest costs in our club are
insurance costs. If you insure your fleet yourself then you can save
even more.

Flying is not really cheaper in germany. We just pay less money and
more time. A normal club member will spent about 10 half days each
year on the winch (or doing some other job on the field), is expected
to stay and keep the operation running the whole day if he wants to
participate (1hour of flying means spending the whole day at the
field) and has to work 60 - 80 hours in the winter doining maintenance
or other chores. Most clubs depent on a small number of people who are
willing to invest even more time into the club.

Old October 8th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo

Of all the many points I made, one point was incorrect, it was 10
years ago and done from memory.

As to your contra points.
In 1998 the restaurant was real I had my launch there,
and my black forest cake and coffee in the afternoon and I paid for
it. For a visitor it looked very nice. Normally my standards are a
bit higher for a normal dining experience.

As to the second tow plane. I state it is rented when needed
It certainly was needed when I saw 30 glider lined up
at 9:00 am, half the fleet were guest and many from other countries
and it was not a contest.

Hay was being made, the rolls of bails were moved over to the side
near the fence.

As to the air event my mistake it only takes place once a year.
The annual Club booklet, that was laying about, stated the club earned
50000.00 Marks net from that event.

As for the fees, as seen on the current website
one time club entry fee E 520.00
every spring E130.00
monthly E 14.50
1 hour of flying all inclusive E 7.00
3 hours E 21.00

That would come to about E 1000.00 if you fly 100 hrs a year
Take your pick with the gliders.
I think that is a very good deal in spite of the fact you would have
to spent 75 hours a year helping maintaining the club.
I am impressed.
On the other hand, I personally would not like the highly structured
environment. I remember some one telling me at the time that
club members can buy off some of that time.

Udo

Old October 8th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brtlmj

No hourly fees for glider-usage, but any active member of the club
pays an all-inclusive price that covers ALL the winch launches and
ALL the flying time (at the moment 259 Euro/year).

That's significantly less than any "beginner to solo" package I have
ever seen. The total (fees plus the all-inclusive price) is also lower
than the annual fee at many clubs.
So, given that - after the fees - flying is essentially free, how do
you balance supply and demand? Time limits? Long queues on good days?

Bartek

German RT [email protected] Piloting 25 April 26th 05 11:39 PM
Need a German translation. goneill Soaring 1 September 30th 03 08:36 PM
Joint German-Israeli airforce excersie (Israeli airforce beats German pilots) Quant Military Aviation 8 September 25th 03 05:41 PM
German Stereotypes? Keith Willshaw Military Aviation 3 August 19th 03 04:05 AM