Non-Alcoholic Beers

Old July 29th 03, 01:50 AM
John Theune

Default Non-Alcoholic Beers

It came up in another forum that O'Douls ( a non-alcoholic beer ) is not
truly non-alcoholic, but rather it's less then .5%. A reference to a
http://www.drugs.indiana.edu/publica...ne/lowalc.html tells
more and points out that these types of beverages are not considered
alcoholic beverages. The FAR in question is

§ 91.17 Alcohol or drugs.
(a) No person may act or attempt to act as a crewmember of a civil
aircraft --
(1) Within 8 hours after the consumption of any alcoholic beverage;
(2) While under the influence of alcohol;

which uses the term alcoholic beverage to describe the prohibited item
rather then consumption of alcohol as the item to be prohibited. So the
$64,000 is, is the consumption of 1 O'Douls a violation of 91.17 (a) (1).
While it may be considered splitting hairs, the FARs are quite adept at
that and so are the FAA lawyers.

MANDATORY WARNING: This is not a attempt to boost the sales or usage of
Non-Alcoholic beers, I'm just curious.

John Theune
Old July 29th 03, 01:22 PM
Nick Funk

I know the EAA doesn't allow alcoholic beverages to be sold at any
fly-ins. But at Sun-n-Fun every year O'Douls is dished out free of
charge to any participant regardless of age.

Doesn't that make it legit to consume and fly? I would not think so.

Old July 29th 03, 02:07 PM
John Theune

Martin Hotze wrote in
:

John Theune wrote:

It came up in another forum that O'Douls ( a non-alcoholic beer ) is
not truly non-alcoholic, but rather it's less then .5%. A reference
to a
http://www.drugs.indiana.edu/publica...ne/lowalc.html
tells more and points out that these types of beverages are not
considered alcoholic beverages. The FAR in question is

§ 91.17 Alcohol or drugs.
(a) No person may act or attempt to act as a crewmember of a civil
aircraft --
(1) Within 8 hours after the consumption of any alcoholic
beverage; (2) While under the influence of alcohol;

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

which uses the term alcoholic beverage to describe the prohibited
item rather then consumption of alcohol as the item to be prohibited.

yes, under (1).
but what do _you_ read under (2)?

So the
$64,000 is, is the consumption of 1 O'Douls a violation of 91.17 (a)
(1). While it may be considered splitting hairs, the FARs are quite
adept at that and so are the FAA lawyers.

"While under the influence of alcohol"
"While under the influence of alcohol"
"While under the influence of alcohol"
"While under the influenc!"§$%&/%&/%§$""§!LOSTCARRIER

#m

Martin;
The question was is the consumption of 1 O'Douls a violation. I think
that it's safe to say that if OJ can have the same amount of alcohol as a
O'Douls, then your not "under the influence" if you drink one.

John
Old July 29th 03, 03:58 PM
Gene Seibel

One of those questions that keeps lawyers in business. There is no
definitive answer to that question. There is only a solution. The
solution for me is to decide what's more important, flying or drinking
O'Douls. And for me, that question is easy to answer.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

1...

Old July 29th 03, 04:12 PM
Robert Moore

Nick Funk wrote

I know the EAA doesn't allow alcoholic beverages to be sold at
any fly-ins. But at Sun-n-Fun every year O'Douls is dished out
free of charge to any participant regardless of age.

First, although every attempt is made to make it appear to
be an official EAA event, Sun-n-Fun is a privately held
corporation.
Second, as of this past year, real beer is now widely sold
on the Sun-n-Fun grounds.

Bob Moore
Old July 29th 03, 05:02 PM
Robert M. Gary

You cannot drink O'Douls less than 8 hours before flying because of
its (although low) alcohol content.

-Robert

Old July 29th 03, 05:21 PM
Newps

Martin Hotze wrote:

Have you consumed alcohol? IMHO yes. Very little, but you have. At least
you have a not so good standpoint in court.
But you're right, the question stands, even when 0,0001% is also alcohol.

Not to the FAA. We controllers can be drug tested on a random basis.
We can also be tested for alcohol. You are allowed, I believe, a .02 in
your system and still be legal. It might be .04 but that seems a
little high. I believe the rules for flying would also follw these
numbers.

Old July 29th 03, 06:18 PM
Newps

Martin Hotze wrote:
Newps wrote:

Have you consumed alcohol? IMHO yes. Very little, but you have. At least
you have a not so good standpoint in court.
But you're right, the question stands, even when 0,0001% is also alcohol.

Not to the FAA. We controllers can be drug tested on a random basis.
We can also be tested for alcohol. You are allowed, I believe, a .02 in
your system and still be legal. It might be .04 but that seems a
little high. I believe the rules for flying would also follw these
numbers.

isn't it 0.0 for pilots? - bottle or throttle.

No. Many mouthwashes, for example, contain alcohol. Take a swig of
mouthwash and then blow into the machine and you will not blow a 0.0.
For us it is not a breathalyzer. It is a coated plastic or wooden
stick, similar to what the doctor has when he says "open up and say
ahhh". If it turns a certain color then you have too high an alcohol
content. At that point you would have to go to the doctor for a blood
test. The stick will not register at or below the allowed amount of
alcohol.

Old July 29th 03, 06:25 PM
One's Too Many

John Theune wrote in message . 11...
It came up in another forum that O'Douls ( a non-alcoholic beer ) is not

O'Douls??? Blechhhh!!!! Somebody had to say it.

If it ain't at absolute minimum, at least a Bass Ale or better,
preferably better, it ain't worth drinking and you should just have a
nice glass of icewater instead.
Old July 29th 03, 08:33 PM
Mike Granby

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

You cannot drink O'Douls less than 8 hours before flying
because of its (although low) alcohol content.

Hmmm. How low would the alcohol content have to be before you'd consider it
to cease to be relevant? 0.1%? 0.01%? 0.001%? Below measurable limits?

--
Mike Granby, PP-ASEL,IA
Warrior N44578