Mode S transponder display to ATC?

Old September 29th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Scott Moore

Default Mode S transponder display to ATC?

On 2008-09-09, Jon wrote:
1090 if you're one of the bigger operators, or perhaps smaller folks
with deep pockets. UAT is lower cost.
A GTX330 doesn't exactly imply "deep pockets". Wasn't a UAT estimated to
cost several thousand bucks?

It's going to run you considerably north of $10K for a full certified
installation and somewhat less if you already have a MFD.

Hardly. My airplane already has a GTX330 and a GNS430W. Garmin says that
they'll implement ADS-B on those two boxes; the GTX330 will require a $1200
upgrade, but the PowerPoint I saw was unclear on what the GNS430W would
need.

I doubt that a UAT will be that inexpensive; there's also the minor problem
of needing panel space for it, something that's in short supply in my
airplane.

Dudes, the implementation of ADS-B with an existing GTX 330 system makes
sense for two simple reasons:

1. UATS are currently vaporware, or very costly ($10,000 or more).

2. Even after this "golden child" UAT shows up, you are going to want to
use 1090 to talk directly to airlines, which will be implementing that
only. Unless you believe that the FAA is going to faithfully translate
that information for you, after bouncing that down to a ground station and
back up, perhaps with a mountain in the way or two.

If you search back in this group you will see that I brought this issue up
years ago. The "dual system" will have to go down as one of the most
spectacularly bad ideas the FAA has ever perpetrated, and it WILL result
in the FAA performing a power shrug while trying to explain to the press
why two ADS-B equipped aircraft, a light airplane and a regional heavy,
collide with loss of life.

As for me, Garmin has once again (apparently) saved me from the FAA. I'll
get ADS-B capability long before GA gets it, via the GTX 330, and after
UAT becomes reasonable, the GTX 330 link will make sure that the heavys
know I am flying around, whether the FAA gear is working or not.

Scott Moore