Should a W&B list gross weight?

Old October 19th 05, 10:00 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

Default Should a W&B list gross weight?

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:19:08 -0400, Andrew Gideon
wrote:

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

What does the STC say?**(I*think*they*are*available*on*line*if*you*c ould
post the info regarding the STC).

I thought of that, and I tried to locate it. I could not. It is: sa703gl.

I did locate plenty of planes that had this done, though, which was fun. I
found a couple of NTSB reports regarding aircraft that had had this done,
which was less fun.

- Andrew

That modification includes "• STC Paperwork Package with Gross Weight
Increase and all FAA Approved Drawings, Instructions, Flight Manual
Revisions, etc."

I will bet that in there, possible in the AFM revisions, is the "legal"
entry of the gross weight increase.

Old October 20th 05, 03:08 AM
Fly

Here is another one for youse guys..

What requirement is there that mandates a recomputation of the W&B?
The below mentioned handbook states a percentage change, but that will
calculate to be more than any simple radio change! IIRC, About 1/2 percent
of the maximum gross weight.

I have stopped putting useful load and gross figures on the weighing data
sheets that I sign off.

Take for instance, some turbo sytems allow a gross weight increase. Some
tip tank systems allow a gross weight increase. Some jet paperwork allows
for a gross weight increase.

Beechjet 400 can have a 200 pound takeoff weight increase. All it consists
of is paperwork.
It means another person can be carried.
Wanna know how much. A few years ago, $8k. now about $12K. !!

How do I know this/ I weigh one and put tdown the max takeoff weight,
useful load etc.
A few days later the operators called me and asked for a revision of my
document.

gee whiz

Kent Felkins
Tulsa Ok

s more mentions
"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:51:19 -0400, Andrew Gideon
wrote:

Some work was done on an airplane. The new W&B is of the "removed/added"
sort and computes a new empty weight and moment arm. But the document
doesn't state the gross weight.

The changes were all avionics; no airframe or power plant work was done.

So
I'd expect the gross weight to remain unchanged from the prior W&B.

But does the new W&B need to state the gross weight, even if it is
unchanged? If not, do we then need both documents to cover the

legalities
of documentation in the airplane?

Or did the person that wrote the new W&B err?

- Andrew

The aircraft gross weight, also called maximum weight,is the maximum
authorized weight of the aircraft and all of its equipment as specified in
the Type Certificate Data Sheets (TCDS) for the aircraft.

It is usually listed on the loading graph or chart supplied by the
manufacturer, or perhaps elsewhere in the POH/AFM.

The FAA publishes a handbook (FAA-H-8083-1) on weight and balance. With
regard to GA aircraft, the following seems to pertain:

"Weight and Balance Revision Record

"Aircraft manufacturers use different formats for their weight and balance
data, but Figure 5-2 is typical of a weight and balance revision record.

"...

"The weight and balance revision sheet should clearly show the revised
empty weight, empty weight arm and/or moment index, and the new useful
load."

HOWEVER, figure 5-2 shows NO sign of an entry of useful load (or maximum
weight). It shows the old empty weight of the airplane; the various
adjustments for removal and addition of various avionics with regard to
weight, arm and moment; and the computed new empty weight, moment and CG

of
the aircraft.

And you were looking for clarity?

Good luck. Bottom line -- it's probably not a requirement. And changes

in
allowable maximum weight should be reflected in the STC data for the
modification that allowed that change; and documented according to the
requirements in that STC.

"We're from the FAA, and we're not happy until you're not happy!"

Old October 21st 05, 03:56 PM
Andrew Gideon

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

That modification includes "• STC Paperwork Package with Gross Weight
Increase and all FAA Approved Drawings, Instructions, Flight Manual
Revisions, etc."

Where did you locate this?

- Andrew

Old October 21st 05, 09:21 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:56:58 -0400, Andrew Gideon
wrote:

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

That modification includes "? STC Paperwork Package with Gross Weight
Increase and all FAA Approved Drawings, Instructions, Flight Manual
Revisions, etc."

Where did you locate this?

- Andrew

http://www.pennyanaero.com/pdfs/superhawk.pdf

I looked up the STC at the FAA web site and discovered that, although they
did not have a copy of it, it was owned by Penn Yan.

I went to the Penn Yan website, and that comment is in the advertising
information for the STC. I could not locate the actual STC, though.
However, it should be with the paperwork for the aircraft, and the
appropriate AFM changes should have been made.

Gross Weight Fred Choate Piloting 153 July 14th 05 12:19 AM
Max gross weight Chris Piloting 21 October 5th 04 08:22 PM
Apache Alternate Gross Weight Jim Burns Owning 1 July 6th 04 05:15 PM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
F35 cost goes up. Pat Carpenter Military Aviation 116 April 11th 04 07:32 PM