Glider rental insurance

Old February 11th 15, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Reed[_2_]

Default Glider rental insurance

1. I am being asked at an FBO in Colorado to provide my own insurance to
fly their gliders. I used to fly powered at several CO FBOs - the question
never came up. Are things different for gliders?

2. What is the best company to get insurance for gliders only?

Thanks

Old February 11th 15, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 2:15:06 PM UTC-5, David Reed wrote:
1. I am being asked at an FBO in Colorado to provide my own insurance to
fly their gliders. I used to fly powered at several CO FBOs - the question
never came up. Are things different for gliders?

2. What is the best company to get insurance for gliders only?

Thanks

Most power rental places want renter's insurance. The FBO insurance is good for the FBO but their insurance company will go after you to get their money back. I would not consider flying rented aircraft without a renter's insurance.
Old February 11th 15, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 3:30:38 PM UTC-8, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 2:15:06 PM UTC-5, David Reed wrote:
1. I am being asked at an FBO in Colorado to provide my own insurance to
fly their gliders. I used to fly powered at several CO FBOs - the question
never came up. Are things different for gliders?

2. What is the best company to get insurance for gliders only?

Thanks

Most power rental places want renter's insurance. The FBO insurance is good for the FBO but their insurance company will go after you to get their money back. I would not consider flying rented aircraft without a renter's insurance.

I believe the term is subrogation.

Sean Franke
Old February 11th 15, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 12:15:06 PM UTC-7, David Reed wrote:
1. I am being asked at an FBO in Colorado to provide my own insurance to
fly their gliders. I used to fly powered at several CO FBOs - the question
never came up. Are things different for gliders?

2. What is the best company to get insurance for gliders only?

Thanks

http://gliderinsurance.com/GliderHome.htm

See Renters/Borrowers
Old February 12th 15, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 11:15:06 AM UTC-8, David Reed wrote:
1. I am being asked at an FBO in Colorado to provide my own insurance to
fly their gliders. I used to fly powered at several CO FBOs - the question
never came up. Are things different for gliders?

2. What is the best company to get insurance for gliders only?

Thanks

Generally speaking, most rental fleets in the soaring community require the renter-pilot to be responsible for any damage that is done while you have it. The cost of renter's insurance seems to be getting more expensive these days but I guarantee you, should you happen to damage the canopy by mistakingly pulling the jetison levers instead of the opening levers II must admit, I did that) YOU WILL BE VERY GLAD YOU ONLY SPENT $600/yr for rental insurance.
Old February 12th 15, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

I have a policy with Avemco, but I got it more for CFI insurance which is an add on option on some non-owned policies.
I think I looked into Costello, AOPA and Avemco. But the fact that Avemco covered gliders as was competitive on price was a selling point for me.

Brian
Old February 12th 15, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So what limits does everyone have? Enough to cover FBO's deductible, or to cover replacement cost of glider?

Old February 12th 15, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 9:37:53 AM UTC-8, wrote:
So what limits does everyone have? Enough to cover FBO's deductible, or to cover replacement cost of glider?

It would have to be replacement cost of the glider. The FBO's insurance company would pay the FBO less their deductible then go after the renter. FBO's deductible is usually a small portion of the total loss.

Sean Franke
Old February 12th 15, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 9:37:53 AM UTC-8, wrote:
So what limits does everyone have? Enough to cover FBO's deductible, or to cover replacement cost of glider?

Well, you need to as the flight school or rental office. They may tell you that to fly the PW5 you need $25,000 hull but if you want to fly the Duo Discus, we want $70,000 or whatever. I guess what I'm saying is to insure only what you intend to fly.
Old February 13th 15, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

One thing to watch for is that many renter's policies only cover type-certificated aircraft. So if you borrow and bend a friend's ASW20, you might not be covered.

Thanks, Bob K.

Glider Rental Insurance: Tony V Soaring 1 August 18th 10 05:06 PM
Glider Rental Insurance: BTiz Soaring 0 August 18th 10 04:53 AM
Glider Rental Insurance: Walt Connelly Soaring 5 August 18th 10 02:03 AM
Rental Hull Insurance - for a week or just for a day? Ekim Piloting 8 August 9th 05 12:01 PM
Glider Insurance and Rental/Borrowed Ships ContestID67 Soaring 6 March 7th 05 06:34 PM