A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Felt

Old September 15th 20, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jay Campbell
external usenet poster

Default Felt

Many of you use, or could use, felt for lots of things in your trailers (fitments, pads), your dollies, wing stands (maybe). I know that over the years, felt has been a part of every one of my winter's project list.

I used to have an industrial supplier "down the street" and got off-cuts from him but he went of business about the time I retired. Today a found a company that answered the phone with a human being that knew what they were talking about. May I recommend that, if you need felt for one of your projects, give these folks a call. Very helpful. There may be a minimum order issue, but if you are in a club, there are probably others that could help you with that.

https://www.thefeltpeople.com/about-us/
Old September 15th 20, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

Default Felt

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 5:54:24 PM UTC-4, Jay Campbell wrote:
Many of you use, or could use, felt for lots of things in your trailers (fitments, pads), your dollies, wing stands (maybe). I know that over the years, felt has been a part of every one of my winter's project list.

I used to have an industrial supplier "down the street" and got off-cuts from him but he went of business about the time I retired. Today a found a company that answered the phone with a human being that knew what they were talking about. May I recommend that, if you need felt for one of your projects, give these folks a call. Very helpful. There may be a minimum order issue, but if you are in a club, there are probably others that could help you with that.

Thanks for that link, Jay! I did buy some felt from McMaster-Carr in the past. Not sure how they stack up price-wise with your guys but it is good to have a second source.

Uli
'AS'
Old September 15th 20, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

Default Felt

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 5:54:24 PM UTC-4, Jay Campbell wrote:

Thanks for that link, Jay! I did buy some felt from McMaster-Carr in the past. Not sure how they stack up price-wise with your guys but it is good to have a second source: https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-felt-sheets

Uli
'AS'
Old September 17th 20, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru
external usenet poster

Default Felt

It's been a long time since I've gotten felt...

Boggs
Old September 17th 20, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Felt

Great stuff. Go with white synthetic felt for glider dollies, fixtures, etc, choose your thickness. Get the pressure sensitive adhesive. Peel off the paper, stick it on. The adhesive really works well.

Steve Leonard
Old September 17th 20, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Felt

Adhesive backing sometimes will not hold if temperatures are high and the material is not under a compression load. I often had problems with sticky-back felt on some wing or tail storage brackets when I was building trailers.. The adhesive would remain stuck to the surface, but the felt would pull away. Especially inside a trailer on hot days with no wing to hold it in place.
Sometimes a relatively heavy application of 3M Super 77 spray would do the trick, but after I started producing the WingRigger line, I became a convert to Gorilla Glue. Except when I have to remove it. Then I hate the stuff. But it's a pretty good recommendation for the adhesive qualities.
Old September 18th 20, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Felt

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 9:34:41 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
It's been a long time since I've gotten felt...

Boggs

Good one ... but these guys are far too serious about their felt.
Old September 18th 20, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Felt

One thing I forgot to mention about using Gorilla Glue: If you are trying to bond felt to steel, aluminum or any other smooth, non-porous surface, use some 60 or 80 grit sandpaper to scuff the surface and give a physical "toothy" grip.

Alternatively, put a layer of double-sided carpet tape on the metal, with the Gorilla Glue applied over it. The felt will soak the glue into the fiber and it will then attach firmly to the taped surface.

This is the tape I prefer:

https://www.shurtape.com/products/df-642/

Fiberglass or gel-coat surfaces are porous enough that the tape is not required.

Use nitrile gloves when working with Gorilla Glue. It is hard to clean off your skin without the aforementioned 60 to 80 grit sandpaper. It takes about a week for the residue to wear off if you don't wear gloves. About the same time it takes for the sandpaper damage to heal. Your choice.
Old September 18th 20, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru
external usenet poster

Default Felt

I was starting to wonder if my humor was too sophisticated for everyone in this group.... I'm glad some one got my joke.

Boggs

Old September 19th 20, 09:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
R. Suppards
external usenet poster

Default Felt

At 21:29 18 September 2020, Waveguru wrote:
I was starting to wonder if my humor was too sophisticated for everyone

in
this group.... I'm glad some one got my joke.

Boggs

There is nothing like a good joke,
And that was Nothing like a Good Joke.