Delays getting into Newark International? Go VFR.

Old December 24th 05, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Delays getting into Newark International? Go VFR.

Heard this interesting series of exchanges today while flying down to
Teterboro, NJ. Weather in the NY area was VFR, but I was IFR. For some
reason, arrivals into Newark International were being stacked up in holds
despite the VFR weather.

ATC: Continental XXX, have your hold instructions for Newark, advise when
ready to copy."

Soon thereafter:

ATC: Speedbird XXX Heavy, have your hold instructions for Newark, advise
when ready to copy."

This went on for three more inbound airliners.

Snowshoe XXX (a King Air): "Boston Approach, Snowshoe XXX, level one four
thousand, request direct Newark"

ATC: "Unable, have your hold instructions into Newark, advise when ready to
copy."

Snowshoe XXX: "Boston, Snowshoe would like to amend our destination to
Teterboro."

ATC: "Roger, turn right direct Huogenaut (a VOR on the way but not
directly) at this time."

Snowshoe: "Boston, Snowshoe would like to cancel IFR and go VFR to
Teterboro, request flight following."

ATC: "Roger, cancellation received."

(Both this aircraft and I were soon switched to New York approach.)

Snowshoe: "New York Approach, Snowshoe XXX, level XXX VFR, what are our
chances of getting into Newark VFR today?"

ATC: "Hahahahahahahahaha (he laughed a long time on the frequency, then) I
have several IFR inbounds in holds at the moment, stand-by."

A moment later...

ATC: (somewhat incredulous): "Snowshoe XXX, approved, cleared into the
class Bravo, expect straight in runway 22L into Newark."

I really wanted to congratulate those pilots for the impressive strategy
that got them exactly what they wanted, but I refrained and kept the
frequency clear of banter. A job well done by that crew, IMO.

--
Peter
Old December 24th 05, 09:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

The real question is - did they have current VFR charts onboard? I have
found that most of the time corporate guys are VFR, they do not have
the appropriate charts on the aircraft.

Lynne

Old December 24th 05, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Lynne wrote:
The real question is - did they have current VFR charts onboard?

Not necessary if they weren't flying jets.