Group Poll :Oxygen

Old November 2nd 05, 09:36 PM
Peter R.

Default Group Poll :Oxygen

xyzzy wrote:

I hear ya, but....

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...08X07722&key=1

This accident was featured in FLYING magazine's aftermath column a few
years ago.

Absolutely incredible that the passenger survived this accident.

--
Peter

Old November 2nd 05, 10:02 PM
Mark Hansen

On 11/2/2005 13:21, xyzzy wrote:

Matt Barrow wrote:

"Bashir Salamati" wrote in message

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 09:41:37 -0600, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

:Thanks for all the great responses!
:
:Another question that hit me (without getting into the whole aviation 02
vs
:medical 02 vs welding 02 debate)
:
:What is the average cost for your refills with aviation 02?
:
:I really like the idea of Precise Flights pulse system, but I'd like to
:compare the cost of 02 saved vs the cost of the adjustible pulse
controller
:vs the claimed increase in comfort over the regular non-pulse systems.
:
:Thanks again, lots of great answers!

Aviation 02, $25

Welding 02, $.25

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182079-1.html

Pelican's Perch #13:
Getting High on Welder's Oxygen

Having problems finding Aviator's Breathing Oxygen to refill your bottle?
Upset about the rip-off prices some FBOs charge for an O2 fill? Don't put up
with it, says AVweb's John Deakin, who explains why it's perfectly safe -
and perfectly legal - to use cheap welder's oxygen, and tells you exactly
what you need to know to buy it in bulk and do your own refills.

I hear ya, but....

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...08X07722&key=1

This accident was featured in FLYING magazine's aftermath column a few
years ago.

Are you saying that Compressed Air is the same as Welder's Oxygen, or did
I miss something?

Sacramento, CA
Old November 2nd 05, 10:07 PM
RST Engineering

No, he's saying that xyzzy is a clueless moron.

Jim

Old November 2nd 05, 10:12 PM
Jim Burns

Tank was filled with breathing air, not oxygen, not even welding 02.
Weirdest most bizarre thing I read: "The aircraft sustained an inflight
breakup during an uncontrolled descent, and came to rest in a tree.
According to the surviving passenger..." Wow. And according to the
complete narrative the passenger only received minor injuries, but the pilot
actually died of hypoxia or he may have also survived!

Jim

wrote:

[...]

"You can support the troops but not the president"
--Representative Tom Delay (R-TX), during the Kosovo war.

Old November 2nd 05, 10:30 PM
Ron Natalie

xyzzy wrote:

I hear ya, but....

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...08X07722&key=1

This accident was featured in FLYING magazine's aftermath column a few
years ago.

So what does that have to do with welding oxygen versus ABO?

The bottles in question were filled with air, not oxygen. The
markings on the bottle, the color of the bottle, the invoice from
the gas supplier, and the contents of the bottle were all in
agreement, air (like SCUBA) not oxygen.

Makes me think I should carry a gas analyzer. Scuba divers are
tending to do so to make sure their more esoteric mixes are prepared
right.
Old November 3rd 05, 01:39 AM
Seth Masia

I bought a small Sky-Ox bottle about five years ago. I use it over the
Rockies. I'm usually solo and it goes about 2.5 hours at 15,500 feet, which
is more than enough to get me home.

Seth

"Ken Reed" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a factory installed 2000 lb system in my TR-182.

All oxygen systems are 2000 psi. The capacity varies.
---
Ken Reed
N960CM

Old November 3rd 05, 05:05 AM
Jose

I hear ya, but....

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...08X07722&key=1

This accident was featured in FLYING magazine's aftermath column a few years ago.

Well, that doesn't have to do with using welder's oxygen. It has to do
with using air instead of oxygen. A mistake, yes, but mistakes can
occur in any stage of the chain.

Jose
Old November 3rd 05, 01:49 PM

In rec.aviation.owning xyzzy wrote:
: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...08X07722&key=1

... and then there's they guy from the thread a month or two ago that said
that since he was barely affected (aside from a bit of shortness of breath) when doing
manual labor in an unpressurized plane climbing to 25,000 ft that all the hype about
being "noticably affected" below 15,000 was bull****.

Again I call bull****.

Unless you are moderately active in excercise and live in the rockies at 5000
feet or higher, or are a particularly unusual person, you WILL be impaired at 10k for
any time longer than a few minutes. Hypoxia is insideous.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old November 3rd 05, 02:28 PM
Blanche

wrote:
In rec.aviation.owning xyzzy wrote:
: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...08X07722&key=1

... and then there's they guy from the thread a month or two ago that said
that since he was barely affected (aside from a bit of shortness of
breath) when doing
manual labor in an unpressurized plane climbing to 25,000 ft that all
the hype about
being "noticably affected" below 15,000 was bull****.

Again I call bull****.

Unless you are moderately active in excercise and live in the rockies at 5000
feet or higher, or are a particularly unusual person, you WILL be
impaired at 10k for
any time longer than a few minutes. Hypoxia is insideous.

I live in the Rockies higher than 5K (well, actually, Denver is in the
plains, but we're still that high). And I still get tired in the
mountains on my way skiing, and exhausted when I get home. I've been
trying to figure out a way to carry my O2 bottle while skiing, but
I'm sure the ski area lawyers wouldn't allow it.

Old November 4th 05, 12:19 AM
John Doe

Unless you are moderately active in excercise and live in the rockies at
5000
feet or higher, or are a particularly unusual person, you WILL be impaired
at 10k for
any time longer than a few minutes. Hypoxia is insideous.

A little over-generalized, but it is something folks need to take seriously.

What I've found is every person is different. You can't say that one person
who lives at sea level will be effected one way and someone else who lives
in the mountains will be different. I've seen cases that I would agree, and
I've seen the exact opposite.

Everyone needs to be aware of their own personal limitations and respect the
altitude and lack of oxygen.

Group Poll :Oxygen Jim Burns Piloting 55 November 7th 05 05:40 PM
Group poll: Favorite greases Jim Burns Owning 9 May 27th 05 03:53 AM
Group Poll: How many hours between mag overhauls? Jon Kraus Owning 22 April 26th 05 01:50 AM
What's minimum safe O2 level? PaulH Piloting 29 November 9th 04 07:35 PM
Group Poll: Best 2+kids or 4 place taildragger? Jim Owning 28 December 2nd 03 01:57 AM