IFR with a VFR GPS

Old November 11th 05, 07:04 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

Default IFR with a VFR GPS

"Peter R." wrote in message

Again, I agree that hitting the tower was not due to the navigation device
used.

Then why did you bring this accident into the discussion?

Old November 11th 05, 07:06 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John Theune" wrote in message

If he had asked for the Tuna Fish approach to his destination I would
agree. He asked for the GPS approach and the only GPS on board his
aircraft was the hand held.

Which appears worked just fine, as the aircraft impacted a tower that was
virtually on the FAC centerline.

Old November 11th 05, 07:16 PM
S Herman

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:25:42 GMT, Gerald Sylvester
wrote:

Vintage Garmin 195, updated software and database, has them, and
approaches as well.

when was the last time you updated the database?

Gerald

I think I have April or May. I'll probably do another before the year
is up. $35 each time.
Old November 11th 05, 07:26 PM
Peter R.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Irrelevant. The presence of a VFR GPS does not preclude the use of any
other navigational systems.

What other navigational system is used once the aircraft is cleared for a
GPS approach?

Given that the aircraft struck a tower that was
very nearly on the FAC centerline it appears that navigating the approach
course was not a problem.

The presence of the GPS may be irrelevant to the cause of the accident, but
it is completely relevant to my original point that a pilot may be tempted
to use a VFR GPS as the sole means of navigation, legal or otherwise.

--
Peter

Old November 11th 05, 07:27 PM
Peter R.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Peter R." wrote in message

Again, I agree that hitting the tower was not due to the navigation device
used.

Then why did you bring this accident into the discussion?

Now you are trolling.

--
Peter

Old November 11th 05, 07:35 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter R." wrote in message

What other navigational system is used once the aircraft is cleared for a
GPS approach?

Anything the pilot has available and wishes to use.

The presence of the GPS may be irrelevant to the cause of the accident,
but
it is completely relevant to my original point that a pilot may be tempted
to use a VFR GPS as the sole means of navigation, legal or otherwise.

That was idiocy.

Old November 11th 05, 07:35 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter R." wrote in message

Now you are trolling.

I'm just asking a simple question. Why wont you answer it?

Old November 11th 05, 07:37 PM
Peter R.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

The presence of the GPS may be irrelevant to the cause of the accident,
but
it is completely relevant to my original point that a pilot may be tempted
to use a VFR GPS as the sole means of navigation, legal or otherwise.

That was idiocy

Yep, your lack of an intelligent response was already noted. Now you are
repeating yourself.

--
Peter

Old November 11th 05, 07:37 PM
Peter R.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

I'm just asking a simple question. Why wont you answer it?

I already did.

--
Peter

Old November 11th 05, 07:42 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter R." wrote in message

Yep, your lack of an intelligent response was already noted. Now you are
repeating yourself.

We all have our roles. You keep demonstrating idiocy, I'll keep pointing it
out.