DG-300 instrument panel

Old January 29th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default DG-300 instrument panel

Bill Daniels wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message

Thanks Bill, I just happen to have some 1/8" plexiglass in my shop
from when I built my router table, so I have that tool too! I might
try and get hold of a carbon fiber blank and use that for a svelt
looking panel!

Carbon is not a good idea for an instrument panel. In a crash it will be
strong enough to break legs before it breaks, and when it does break it
will be sharp enough to lacerate efficiently.

There are good safety reasons for the BGA recommendation of building a
nice, not too strong instrument panel in glass fibre.

--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57

I understand the crash protection concerns but changing materials in an
older glider worries me. It's quite possible that the instrument panel is
itself a structural member - even if in hindsight that was a bad idea.
Replace the solid original with a frangible one and you may have compromised
cockpit strength perhaps gaining nothing or even losing a little safety in
the process.

Old glider are, well, old gliders and there are risks associated with flying
them. You get what you pay for. If you really want the latest in crash
protection, dust off the checkbook and buy a new one.

Bill Daniels

Hi Bill

My Cirrus still has the original aluminium panel, partly for this reason.
However, if you have decided to play aero engineer and replace it, the current
view is that a frangible design is preferable.

--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57
Old January 29th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When I flew the 300 it hurt my knees going around the pod & feet close
together in the nose.
Combined with the excellent view, I had always wanted to ELIMINATE the
instrument pod & use 2" instruments mounted along the sides below the
frame rails.

I think it would be awsome to have the unrestricted view & the legroom.

Who says we need an instrument panel in our faces? we're VFR !
Not that I expect anyone to do it, but if I had owned the 300, I would
have.

Old January 29th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Bill - As I understand it, the DG in question currently
has a fiberglass panel. Changing to aluminum would
thus be a step backwards in safety.
Lets be safe out there,
Best Regards, Dave "YO"