And they say the automated Weather Station problems "ASOS" are insignificant because only light aircraft need Weather Observations and forecasts...

Old July 10th 03, 02:50 AM
Roy

Default And they say the automated Weather Station problems "ASOS" are insignificant because only light aircraft need Weather Observations and forecasts...

Light aircraft or Recreational flying are going to be around for ever.

Have found some ultra big ego 777 pilots who don't think they need weather
observations for safe flying.. Some of these big headed
pilots seem to think that only large aircraft have the
right to fly at major airports, and it appears that they
think they can fly safely without proper accurate weather
observations..

The US Military and most foreign nations will not land at
an airport without a manned Weather Observer backing up
the faulty computerized Weather Observations that ASOS
(automated surface observation system) puts out.

Pilots have not been serviced like it was in the 1940s through
the 1970s. With the demise of several dozen Flight Service
Stations, manned Weather Observations, etc..

It is time to stop the removal of service for pilots...write
your Senator or Congressman and demand accurate weather
observations from a manned weather office at the airport,
or at least human augmentation of ASOS (automated weather
observations).

The ASOS sensor is often at one end of an airport and can't see
a low deck of clouds coming in at the other end of the runway.
ASOS systems are likely to fail frequently, leaving the pilot
to fly by the seat of his or her pants.

The FEW, SCT, BKN, OVC values are often not accurte because the
sensor has inherent problems. The Freezing Precipitation sensor
has inherent problems and often fails to report Freezing
Precipitation.

The lightning sensor is often not working, or not working
properly.

White flies, spider webs, dust or airborn seeds can be reported
as Snow, and the list of errors continues.

No amount of money can make a safe automated weather observing
system. Several tens of millions of dollars have been spent
to make ASOS work better, but to no avail. It is impossible to
make machines see like the human eye.
Old July 10th 03, 04:12 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Roger Tracy wrote:

I find ASOS to be very helpful and don't want it replaced with humans.

Same here. I have never had an ASOS tell me that VFR flight was not
recommended because of the possibility of icing in clouds.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel
Old July 12th 03, 06:26 AM
Sydney Hoeltzli

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Same here. I have never had an ASOS tell me that VFR flight was not
recommended because of the possibility of icing in clouds.

Or more annoying, "broken record" VFR flight not recommended at
you in lieu of a proper briefing because the wx 20 miles to the
south is bad

Sydney

Old July 12th 03, 01:39 PM
journeyman

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:26:27 GMT, Sydney Hoeltzli wrote:
G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Same here. I have never had an ASOS tell me that VFR flight was not
recommended because of the possibility of icing in clouds.

Or more annoying, "broken record" VFR flight not recommended at
you in lieu of a proper briefing because the wx 20 miles to the
south is bad

An advantage of getting IFR briefings? Last briefing I got, it seemed
like the briefer badly wanted to say "IFR not recommended". Thing is,
she was right. I opted to wait and see, but it was a lost cause that
day.

Morris (still here to fly again another day)
Old July 12th 03, 04:03 PM
Dennis O'Connor

In the bad old days, before pilots were banned from atc centers, I have sat
in there on a bad wx day and watched the frustration of the briefers as they
try to find a permissible way to discourage an, obviously, anxious to go
pilot from tangling with an embedded front with CB, hail, wind shear, and
microbursts...
Doing my usual schtick to get a reaction I said, let him go, what do you
care of he is too stupid to live?
The reply was - I can't turn the radio off and I 'have' to listen to him
scream and beg as he is going down...

I didn't have a smart aleck answer for that......

Denny

u.com...