is the US sailplane fleet shrinking?

Old May 8th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default is the US sailplane fleet shrinking?

I have found a very interesting article by Paul Schweizer in the
September 1990 issue of Soaring, titled "Is the U.S. Sailplane Fleet
Shrinking?" In it, the author discussed his fear that the answer is
Yes. He based this on a survey of the number of sailplanes that were
imported, and another survey of the number of classified ads for
sailplanes published in Soaring. In the first case, the number of
sailplanes imported had dropped precipitously from more than 140 in
1984 to less than twenty in 1989. The number of ads had also dropped
form a high of about 2000 in 1986 to less than 1000 in 1989.

According to the author, in 1989, there were 20 sailplanes exported
(with zero domestic production), 14 were lost to attrition, and 15 were
imported, for a net loss to the fleet of 19 aircraft. He cautioned that
accurate figures were not available for homebuilts, but he doubted that
the number of completed projects was even close to enough to make up
that number.

The article was written in 1990. Does anyone have more recent
information about this?

Johan Larson

Old May 8th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

To my mind, the important number is not how many sailplanes
there are in the country, but how many have flown in
the last year or so. The ranks of the trailer queens
seem to be expanding.

Ian

Old May 8th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Its true ! Due to the import of many 13-meter ships.
We aim however to stop the trend by importing lots
of Antares 20E at 20-meter span.

See ya, Dave ;-)

Old May 9th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

With the dollar being so low comparing to anything else - except maybe
Peso. I doubt if We buy much of anything made in EU...

Old May 9th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've been reminded that fleet shrinkage is also
due to the Sparrowhawk...

See ya, Dave...

Old May 9th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A PIK-20B from our club is headed for Canada to join another PIK-20B
that departed our club 3-4 years ago.

Frank Whiteley
Colorado

Old May 9th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Frank Whiteley wrote:
A PIK-20B from our club is headed for Canada to join another PIK-20B
that departed our club 3-4 years ago.

My Mosquito headed there in January.

Shawn

Jet sailplane update Bob C Soaring 0 April 13th 06 08:06 AM
HpH 304CZ as first sailplane fcnorton Soaring 29 March 31st 06 01:47 AM
Duster Plans For Sale - BJ-1b fullsize sailplane plans WoodHawk Soaring 0 April 25th 05 04:37 AM
Ultralight sailplane aerotow liability Caracole Soaring 18 April 1st 04 09:17 PM
Soviet Submarines Losses - WWII Mike Yared Military Aviation 4 October 30th 03 03:09 AM