Libelle 201 Canopy

Old July 16th 18, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Libelle 201 Canopy

Hi I'm looking at purchasing a 201 and am going to need a new canopy if I get the thing. I would be happy to take a used canopy that has scratches and or a crack or two as long as it's serviceable. Let me know if you've got anything. Thanks!
Old July 16th 18, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Since you did not say where in the world you are, I will offer up this canopy option for you.

https://www.segelflug.de/osclass/ind...=item&id=27307

Steve Leonard
Old July 16th 18, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 1:23:36 PM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:
Since you did not say where in the world you are, I will offer up this canopy option for you.

https://www.segelflug.de/osclass/ind...=item&id=27307

Steve Leonard

We had Rex put a tinted Mecaplex canopy on 3B. The 201 looks even better dressed like that.
Jim

Old July 17th 18, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Jim and Steve. I'm located in California. That Blue tint canopy from Germany looks great I'll send an inquiry with google translate to segelflug for cost. I'm new to sailplanes and don't know Rex, forgive my ignorance. Could you explain in more detail?
Old July 17th 18, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 6:06:53 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Thanks Jim and Steve. I'm located in California. That Blue tint canopy from Germany looks great I'll send an inquiry with google translate to segelflug for cost. I'm new to sailplanes and don't know Rex, forgive my ignorance. Could you explain in more detail?

Rex owns Williams Soaring Center, in Williams California.
Timing was right for us, so the Libelle canopy was shipped together with a canopy for an ASH25.
You never know when there'll be a shipment with room for a canopy...
(aka consolidation)
Jim
Old July 17th 18, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks I saw a recommendation that Williams may have a used canopy that I could get. I'll give Rex a call.
Old July 17th 18, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graham Drinkell[_2_]

=
canopy for an ASH25.
You never know when there'll be a shipment with room for a canopy...
(aka consolidation)
Jim
Hi, I know of a local company in Colchester, that can produce a tinted

canopy for a Libelle for around £400. The best tint option is brownish-
makes spotting thermals far easier than a blue tint?

Old July 29th 18, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Less than $500.00 USD shipping to California probably another 80-100. That's affordable for me. Would you give me the name of that company that produces those transparencies. I'm still planning to look around here a while and called Rex today. Considering building a plug and giving a go at forming one. The Libelle is probably one of the smallest sailplane canopies. Sourced the acrylic for around $120 for an appropriate sized sheet can obtain in clear, smoke tint, bronze, blue, light blue, clear. Definitely a task to make one but not too hard.
Old July 29th 18, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And the adventure begins.....

Looks simple. It is not.

Good luck!
Old July 29th 18, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

A local here in Aus tried starting out making a Libelle canopy from a plug. It took 7 years to get it right, as the pointy rear top caused lots of problems.
He now knocks out mould then plug in 3 months. Making a plug that stays stable at 150C is not easy.
He uses no vacuum, and the plug has to take 2 tons of pressure to withstand the force of the giant press built into the oven.
Good luck, you will need it.

Libelle 201 canopy [email protected] Soaring 0 July 4th 16 02:03 PM
Canopy Ejection and Canopy Lanyard Casey[_2_] Soaring 6 April 12th 16 05:09 PM
Std Libelle Low profile canopy blank [email protected] Soaring 0 November 7th 15 10:35 PM
Libelle Canopy Tom Watson Soaring 4 February 28th 12 12:59 AM
Wanted Libelle 201b Canopy Fish Soaring 2 June 1st 06 07:10 PM