Has Standard Class design peaked?

Old May 4th 04, 12:09 PM
Udo Rumpf

While othewrs had argue the merits of various building methods these do
not
directly offer any performance improvments. Given the size of most of the
production runs I would look at vacuum infusion for wetting out the cloth.

Aerodynamically the place to go is reflexed airfoils. Note: I did not say
flying wings. Reflexed airfoils can operate quite well on tailed gliders

and
this configuration offers many pratical benifits.

Robert Mudd

Robert
The ASW27 uses a reflex airfoil.
Udo

Old May 4th 04, 02:10 PM
JJ Sinclair

Aerodynamically the place to go is reflexed airfoils.

Hi Robert,
Is the reflexed airfoil on the Genesis 2, the reason she runs so good? Does the
reflex act like up flaps, in the run?

JJ Sinclair
Old May 5th 04, 12:55 AM
Bob Salvo

Reflexed airfoils can operate quite well on tailed gliders and
this configuration offers many pratical benifits.

Unfortunately, though, reflexed airfoils, that I have seen, are all very
sensitive to rain, bugs, and turbulence. Can't rely on their published L/D in
the real world.
Bob
Old May 5th 04, 01:57 AM
Eric Greenwell

Bob Salvo wrote:

Reflexed airfoils can operate quite well on tailed gliders and
this configuration offers many pratical benifits.

Unfortunately, though, reflexed airfoils, that I have seen, are all very
sensitive to rain, bugs, and turbulence. Can't rely on their published L/D in
the real world.
Bob

But reflexed airfoils are used by modern flapped "racing gliders"
without these problems (ASW 27, Ventus 2, etc) in cruise. The problem
for the Standard Class is to get good climb out of the reflexed airfoil
without diminishing the high speed ability too much.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old May 5th 04, 04:09 AM
Robertmudd1u

Is the reflexed airfoil on the Genesis 2, the reason she runs so good? Does
the
reflex act like up flaps, in the run?

JJ, I do not know. But given your work with the Salvo mod and the success you
have had in the recent contest and other compairson flying you may have a more
educated guess than I do.

Robert
Old May 5th 04, 01:35 PM
mat Redsell

JJ Sinclair,

The best way to get an advantage with a reflexed airfoil is to move the CG
forward wtih a sliding weight. Both the Mqrske Pioneer IId and PioneerIII
have them installed and will begin testing in the near future.

The drag bucket will favor the lower CL's when the weight is put forward and
the elevator on a marske wing is put in the up position. We found this to
be very true in our tests with the Monarch.

-mat
--
Marske Flying Wings
http://www.continuo.com/marske