NASA chokes again

Old April 29th 05, 05:57 PM
Jay Honeck

Default NASA chokes again

After more than two years, and less than a month from scheduled launch,
NASA decides to pull the shuttle off the launch pad, transport it back
to the vehicle assembly building, and install a HEATER?

This took two years to figure out?

I swear, Gene Kranz must shake his head in disbelief at what has become
of our space program. Can anyone imagine NASA going to the moon with
this kind of hand-wringing, risk averse management?

Here is the full article:
************************************************** **************

NASA Delays Post-Columbia Flight Again
By MARCIA DUNN, AP Aerospace Writer

NASA on Friday delayed by another two months the first space shuttle
flight since the Columbia disaster, saying it needs more time to ensure
that the fuel tank does not shed dangerous pieces of ice at liftoff.

Discovery is now scheduled for launch no earlier than July 13. The
flight had been targeted for late May.

A large chunk of foam insulation from the external fuel tank punched a
hole in Columbia's wing that led to the shuttle and crew's demise
during re-entry in February 2003. Now, the lingering concern involves
the possible buildup of ice on the tank once it's filled with
super-cold fuel, and the hazard such shards would pose if they came off
during the launch and hit the shuttle.

NASA's new administrator, Michael Griffin, announced the delay at a
midmorning televised news conference, saying it was the result of
recent launch-debris reviews.

"This is consistent with our overall approach to return to flight,
which is that we're going to return to flight. We are not going to rush
to flight, and we want it to be right, so we're doing what we need to
do to ensure that," Griffin said.

Extra repairs to Discovery's fuel tank will be needed, namely the
addition of a heater, said NASA's top spaceflight official, Bill
Readdy.

The work means that NASA will have to remove Discovery from the launch
pad and return it to the massive Vehicle Assembly Building.

The prime area of concern is a 17-inch-diameter liquid oxygen line that
runs 70 feet down the lower half of the 154-foot tank. Its expansion
joints have produced ice in the past. After the Columbia accident, NASA
devised a foam skirt, or so-called drip lip, to wick moisture away from
the joints. Engineers believe it would reduce ice formation by 50
percent.

Shuttle managers decided a more comprehensive repair was needed.

Technicians will install a heater at the uppermost joint, something
already planned for flights beyond Discovery's. To add the heater on
Discovery, the shuttle will have to be hauled back to its hangar, which
will add days if not weeks to launch preparations.

NASA is also concerned about possible ice formation on the brackets
that hold the oxygen line to the tank.

The shuttle team is dealing with a few other unrelated problems with
Discovery, involving balky engine-cutoff sensors in the fuel tank and
thermal blankets contaminated recently with hydraulic fluid. Readdy
said the extra two months will provide time to resolve all of these
issues, and they will be tackled first while the shuttle is still at
the launch pad.

Another fueling test of Discovery's tank may be necessary, Readdy said.
The test a month ago ago uncovered the intermittent sensor trouble and
a few other problems.

Griffin said he accepted shuttle managers' recommendation to postpone
the flight, to perform the extra work.

"I want to launch as soon as we can," said Griffin, who took over the
top NASA job just two weeks ago. But he added that he wants the launch
to be safe.

"Schedule matters," he said. "It shouldn't matter to the point of
causing people to do dumb things or to take ill-advised actions ... We
want to launch Discovery when we can because the completion of the
international space station depends upon an expeditious launch
schedule. We don't want to launch it sooner than we can."

Columbia was brought down on Feb. 1, 2003, by a gash in the left wing
that was caused by a suitcase-size piece of foam that broke off the
tank during liftoff. All seven astronauts were killed 16 days later
during re-entry.

NASA wants the first two post-Columbia launches held in daylight to
ensure good photography of the shuttle and its fuel tank, which has
been modified to prevent big pieces of foam insulation from coming off.
Daylight also is needed over the North Atlantic in order to capture
good photos of the fuel tank as it drops off eight minutes after
liftoff.

The July window extends from July 13 until July 31. If Discovery does
not fly in July, the next opportunity would come in September. The
12-day mission will supply much-needed supplies and replacement parts
to the space station.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 29th 05, 06:40 PM
Larry Dighera

On 29 Apr 2005 09:57:14 -0700, "Jay Honeck" wrote
in .com::

After more than two years, and less than a month from scheduled launch,
NASA decides to pull the shuttle off the launch pad, transport it back
to the vehicle assembly building, and install a HEATER?

It sounds like NASA is being laudably prudent. But why these
modifications weren't performed before rolling the shuttle to the
launch pad is curious.

The article mentions:

NASA's new administrator, Michael Griffin, announced the delay at
a midmorning televised news conference, saying it was the result
of recent launch-debris reviews.
Another fueling test of Discovery's tank may be necessary, Readdy
said. The test a month ago uncovered the intermittent sensor
trouble and a few other problems.

Griffin said he accepted shuttle managers' recommendation to
postpone the flight, to perform the extra work.

"I want to launch as soon as we can," said Griffin, who took over
the top NASA job just two weeks ago. But he added that he wants
the launch to be safe.

So it looks like the new administrator is a prudent professional. How
can that be bad?

The real question is, who made the decision to move the shuttle to the
launch pad knowing that had "intermittent sensor trouble and a few
other problems"?

Griffin sounds like just what NASA needs, and I'll bet the crew would
agree.
Old April 29th 05, 11:20 PM
Dave S

Ok.. so let me get this straight.. The shuttle didn't pass "preflight",
so the flight is being delayed for safety reasons and modify or update
the equipment just a little bit more..

Sure sounds a lot like you are miffed because they are trying real hard
to avoid a case of "get there-itis".

So what if its been 2 years.. the last time it was over 4, wasnt it?

And the first one was a case of "I TOLD YOU SO" regarding the o-rings on
the SRB's..Theres nothing wrong with wanting to get it right..
Astronauts and engineers are professionals, not daredevils with a death
wish.

I would applaud the setback. Just like I would look another pilot in the
eye and say "Good Call" for scrubbing for equipment or weather issues.

Dave

Old April 30th 05, 05:07 AM
Dave Stadt

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
[...]

Griffin is a bean counter and it shows. NASA has tremendous internal
problems which Griffin needs to fix before the organization can begin to be
anything approaching effective.

Old April 30th 05, 08:11 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 04:07:05 GMT, "Dave Stadt"
wrote in : :

Griffin sounds like just what NASA needs, and I'll bet the crew would
agree.

Griffin is a bean counter and it shows. NASA has tremendous internal
problems which Griffin needs to fix before the organization can begin to be
anything approaching effective.

That seems like a reasonable assessment given what's happened here.

At least Griffin is considering fixing the Hubble telescope. He
sounds like he's trying to do the right thing.
Old April 30th 05, 08:27 AM
Hilton

Jay wrote:
I swear, Gene Kranz must shake his head in disbelief at what has become
of our space program. Can anyone imagine NASA going to the moon with
this kind of hand-wringing, risk averse management?

Gene Kranz is my hero (so too is Scott Crossfield). I have Failure Is Not
An Option recorded on my DVR (from the DW channel) and watch it every few
weeks. When I asked Gene Cernan about Gene Kranz he was quick to stress
that there were numerous other great Flight Directors at the time and that
he was somewhat surprised that Gene Kranz was singled out.

Hilton

Old April 30th 05, 12:27 PM
Chris

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
After more than two years, and less than a month from scheduled launch,
NASA decides to pull the shuttle off the launch pad, transport it back
to the vehicle assembly building, and install a HEATER?

This took two years to figure out?

I swear, Gene Kranz must shake his head in disbelief at what has become
of our space program. Can anyone imagine NASA going to the moon with
this kind of hand-wringing, risk averse management?

hand the program over to Disney, it might work then!

Old April 30th 05, 02:13 PM
Jay Honeck

Ok.. so let me get this straight.. The shuttle didn't pass "preflight", so
the flight is being delayed for safety reasons and modify or update the
equipment just a little bit more..

Sure sounds a lot like you are miffed because they are trying real hard to
avoid a case of "get there-itis".

So what if its been 2 years.. the last time it was over 4, wasnt it?

If, after over 20 years of shuttle flights, they can't do a pre-flight
inspection in less than 2 years, I would just as soon NASA give us back the
billions we have given them (this year) so we can donate it to the Chinese
space program.

Look, I understand the need for great care after Columbia -- but it's been
TWO YEARS. The whole time, there have been over 10,000 people at the Cape
on the payroll, doing precisely...what? Then, just when everything is
poised on the pad for launch -- OOPS! -- we forgot to install the heater???

It's a national embarrassment.

We visited NASA in March, and were very impressed with the facility. I'm
glad they have preserved much of our Apollo history, and I'm gladder still
that there are so many people dedicated to space flight. It's our future,
and anyone with a brain stem knows it.

But, dammit, they've got to actually PERFORM. Now. Either sh*t or get off
the pot.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 30th 05, 02:39 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
After more than two years, and less than a month from scheduled launch,
NASA decides to pull the shuttle off the launch pad, transport it back
to the vehicle assembly building, and install a HEATER?

This took two years to figure out?

I swear, Gene Kranz must shake his head in disbelief at what has become
of our space program. Can anyone imagine NASA going to the moon with
this kind of hand-wringing, risk averse management?

Here is the full article:
************************************************** **************

NASA Delays Post-Columbia Flight Again
By MARCIA DUNN, AP Aerospace Writer

NASA's big problem with the shuttle is that they over promised 35 years ago
to get it funded. They promised a safe, inexpensive, reusable space truck
with quick turnaround time. Arguably, they missed each of those marks. In
addition, they tried to sell space travel as routine, and people hold them
to that standard.

Unfortunately, space travel is anything but routine, and the shuttle (or any
other space vehicle) has more than a few single points of failure that have
fatal consequences.

NASA, Congress, and the US public need to recognize and admit that if we're
going to continue manned space flight, we will suffer losses. We need to
accept that fact and move forward without all of the hand wringing and
political posturing that we get with every accident. Not that we shouldn't
strive for a perfect safety record, but even if NASA had unlimited funding,
riding rockets would still dangerous.

For me, it comes down to this (choose 1):

- Continue manned space flight and recognize that people are likely to be
killed from time to time, despite the best efforts to prevent accidents.

- Discontinue manned space flight.

KB

Old April 30th 05, 05:32 PM
AES

"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

For me, it comes down to this (choose 1):

- Continue manned space flight and recognize that people are likely to be
killed from time to time, despite the best efforts to prevent accidents.

- Discontinue manned space flight.

KB

Yes, those are the choices ** except replace "likely" by "certain" in
the first of these choices.

And in making the choice, recognize that if you want to perform
important and useful tasks with taxpayer money in space ** obtain
spectacular and otherwise unobtainable scientific knowledge, perform
extraordinarily useful and economically important engineering functions
like weather satellites, GPS, broadcasting ** then the basic fact is
that:

* There is NO useful role or need for sending people into space to
accomplish ANY of these missions.

* In fact, the enormous increase in mission costs and complexity and
the enormous limitations on performance required to include passengers
on any space mission and get them back safely pretty much guarantees
that no useful scientific or engineering results will result from those
missions ** as the history of our space effort to date fully
demonstrates.

If some want to argue that sending more people to the moon (or, God save
us all, to Mars) will somehow demonstrate the greatness of our nation,
well, they're welcome to do so (and I'd agree that the Apollo program
was probably justified, in its time, on that basis alone). And I have
no opposition to, and wish all good fortune to, private efforts in the
Burt Rutan style.

But our shuttle and Space Station programs should have been abandoned
long ago and their funding redirected to unmanned space capabilities and
challenges. Given the present and likely future state of space
technology "lunar colonies" are as utterly unnecessary as they are
immensely expensive; and the idea of sending people to Mars in the
foreseeable future is a fantasy. It's not a matter of policy choices,
it's a matter of the laws of physics.