Drones, during the first Iraq war

Old April 1st 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Drones, during the first Iraq war

Can anyone offer some insights as to the actual application of
pilotless drones during the first Iraq war? What aiplanes were they,
who made them? Was GPS a usable technology then? I know some form of
terrain following was said to be used by cruise missiles, was it used
for real life drone surveillance too?

Old April 1st 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

My search did not find this reference, thanks for providing it. It's
exactly what I wanted to know.

On Apr 1, 11:53*am, Gig 601Xl Builder
Can anyone offer some insights as to the actual application of
pilotless drones during the first Iraq war? What aiplanes were they,
who made them? Was GPS a usable technology then? I know some form of
terrain following was said to be used by cruise missiles, was it used
for real life drone surveillance too?

Sure we'll be happy to do your home work for you.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ns/drones.html

Old April 2nd 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 00:01:18 GMT, "Blueskies" wrote:

"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote in message m...
wrote:
Can anyone offer some insights as to the actual application of
pilotless drones during the first Iraq war? What aiplanes were they,
who made them? Was GPS a usable technology then? I know some form of
terrain following was said to be used by cruise missiles, was it used
for real life drone surveillance too?

Sure we'll be happy to do your home work for you.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ns/drones.html

Amazing how handy PBS is...

But you can't believe anything it says.

Lib-ruls, ya' know.
Old April 2nd 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

wrote:
Can anyone offer some insights as to the actual application of
pilotless drones during the first Iraq war? What aiplanes were they,
who made them? Was GPS a usable technology then? I know some form of
terrain following was said to be used by cruise missiles, was it used
for real life drone surveillance too?

Sure we'll be happy to do your home work for you.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ns/drones.html

Amazing how handy PBS is...

Amazing how handy Google is. And just for the edification of the OP. The
search term was, if I remember correctly, [drones Desert Storm Shield].

The link was the first one there and seemed to be fairly complete in a
compact sort of way.

I did notice one interesting and surprising thing in that article
though. The Air Force was the only branch that didn't use drones in the
operation.