Canadian pilot posts ILLEGAL flight into US on OLC

Old July 26th 19, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marton KSz

Default Canadian pilot posts ILLEGAL flight into US on OLC

"Based on what I read on the FAA's website, a landing at a port of entry was required"

Are they giving you a tow as well for your flight back to CA, after you've landed and cleared your customs?
Old July 26th 19, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 3:43:11 PM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:
Pretty sure they’ll find no wrong doing. Having said that. You are a total dick!

And it's been a pleasure talking with you, too!
Old July 26th 19, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 4:15:05 PM UTC-7, Paul T wrote:
At 22:10 25 July 2019, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 2:58:23 PM UTC-7, Charles Longley

wrote:
FAR 91.707
Unless otherwise authorized by ATC, no person may operate a

civil
aircraf=
t between Mexico or Canada and the United States without filing an

IFR or
V=
FR flight plan, as appropriate.
=20
You don=E2=80=99t need a clearance to enter US airspace

Tom. Just file a
=
VFR flight plan. There=E2=80=99s no ADIZ between Canada and

the US by the
w=
ay.
=20
Personally I think you=E2=80=99re jealous....

LOL! Jealous? Hardly.

Based on what I read on the FAA's website, a landing at a port of

entry
was=
required, which Chester did not do. It is the FAA's website that is,
appar=
ently, wrong or inaccurate. I am awaiting a call back from my local

FSDO
on=
this issue.

Tom

What a total dickhead -FFS what does it matter to you? - still
grieving over 1812?, some Canuck did you wrong in the past??.....
with guys like you around no wonder soaring is in decline.

Following the FARs is not optional. Pilots who violate them can impact ALL of us, including you. I wonder how that inspector will react when you call him/her a "dickhead?"
Old July 26th 19, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dickhead. Are you waiting for a response from the FSDO so you can tattle? At least he went back to where he came from, and by choice. Different situation down here on the southern border of the US.
Old July 26th 19, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 3:41:21 PM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
Just curious. Say a Canadian registered glider is trailered across the border into the USA. It takes off in the USA, turns on the transponder and flies in Class E. All good? No need to contact ATC right?

No need to contact ATC - at least, if I did that I wouldn't feel any obligation to do so. I'm in the habit of talking to ATC - if they need to give me hell, they know I'm on frequency. You need to make sure your C of A allows flying outside of Canada.
Old July 26th 19, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Thank f..k I don't have to soar in your godforsaken country. Chester
has graciously come on here and explained how the flight was
undertaken - now you should be celebrating the fact that it was a
magnificent flight, but no you want to raise merry hell and look for
some indiscretion. I hope the whole gliding world shuns you.

Old July 26th 19, 07:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Is a transponder even required? I didn't think so. Of course better to squawk and be on freq if possible.
Old July 26th 19, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Patrick McMahon

I really hope the patriot who started this thread can't delete it - so valuable!

I've been a part of one of these flights (wave and border flirting) - nearly 8 hours @ 100mph, 10 days before the winter solstice. It was a completely different sport and the most spectacular human experience. Thank you!

Chester and I talked a lot about managing the airspace on that flight and afterward, and he has dedicated a lot of time, effort and consideration toward not only doing this legally but to do it that respects the controllers and the law - make friends, not foes.

This wave has been here for a while, it'll be here for a while longer, and the Arcus is just barely celebrating its first year out of the box. Patience, young man, patience, we're just getting warmed up, making sure the ground rules are known before he puts the nose down.

Puzzle pieces.

Some things Chester wants you to learn for yourself, but how to keep friends, and follow the rules, he's evidently happy to share - and we're all better for it.

Thanks Chester!
Old July 26th 19, 08:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Patrick McMahon

On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 5:07:18 PM UTC-6, Marton KSz wrote:
"Based on what I read on the FAA's website, a landing at a port of entry was required"

Are they giving you a tow as well for your flight back to CA, after you've landed and cleared your customs?

https://www.schempp-hirth.com/en/sai...arcus/arcus-m/

Smarten up.
Old July 26th 19, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jeez much ado about nothing. Harold Eloy made multiple very long (for a 1-26) flights out of canada into North Dakota and beyond. If the perfect day materializes for a flight into canada I will go for it, talk to whoever I can get from ATC and deal with customs after the fact. Its much easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission much of the time.