Most Visible Color for Aircraft

Old March 7th 04, 05:33 AM

Default Most Visible Color for Aircraft

Howdy,

I've been looking all over, and I can't seem to find any discussions on the
relative visibility of various colors for aircraft. I would guess that the
best color might be different when viewed against the sky or the ground.

Any pointers will be welcome,
tom pettit
Old March 7th 04, 07:07 AM
Peter Duniho

"Don Tuite" wrote in message
The Coast Guard probably did some study before it painted its
helicopters.

Which is why they have the same color scheme as their boats? Uh, sure.

I think the original poster's guess is correct, that it depends on whether
you're looking at the airport against the ground or sky. I would expect
dark colors to stand out better against the sky, and light colors to stand
out better against the ground.

That said, for overall visibility, the fluorescent yellow/green used on many
traffic signs and emergency vehicles is probably the most visible color.
Also, keep in mind that the color is probably only going to make the most
difference when close to the aircraft. At a distance, contrast will still
be an issue, but against the sky, pretty much any airplane will just look
like a shadow, regardless of color.

Of course, up close is when you care most about seeing the other aircraft,
so it's not as if the question is simply academic.

Pete

Old March 7th 04, 11:40 AM
Cub Driver

I would guess that the
best color might be different when viewed against the sky or the ground.

If you have ever been in the pattern with a Piper J-3, you must know
that the best color is Cub Yellow.

I live in New Hampshire, where most of the ground is covered by white
pine. For several years there was an L-4 wannabe (a J-3 painted up as
a Grasshopper) used for training at the local airport. It was a bear
to spot in the pattern, especially if you were higher. Name of Nine
Seven Mike.

Happily someone banged up a wing, so while it was in the shop, it was
painted with invasion stripes on that wing only. You cannot believe
the difference those two? three? stripes made!

Later, someone else banged up a wing the second time, but alas it was
the same wing, so I never got a chance to see if a second set of
stripes would have improved things even more.

Nine Seven Mike has since been sold down the river, so you may see it
at your airport.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old March 7th 04, 12:53 PM
Ash Wyllie

tompet opined

Howdy,

I've been looking all over, and I can't seem to find any discussions on the
relative visibility of various colors for aircraft. I would guess that the
best color might be different when viewed against the sky or the ground.

From flying RC models, I have find that yellow stands out the best. Even in
twilight I can track a plane from the open sky to below the tree line.

-ash
Cthulhu for President!
Why vote for a lesser evil?

Old March 7th 04, 12:57 PM
Julian Scarfe

wrote in message
Howdy,

I've been looking all over, and I can't seem to find any discussions on

the
relative visibility of various colors for aircraft. I would guess that

the
best color might be different when viewed against the sky or the ground.

I think white on top (contrast vs ground clutter) and dark on the underside
(contrast vs sky) works well, like, for example, the factory Mooney schemes,
http://www.mooney.com/ .

Julian Scarfe

Old March 7th 04, 01:02 PM
Dennis O'Connor

A study within the military showed that the most visible color for
identifying the shape of a plane against any background, is a solid, dark
blue...
Now, don't shoot the messenger as he has a tender hide... If you don't like
the message, do your own research...
denny

Old March 7th 04, 01:07 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Article in Passagemaker boating magazine cited the coast guard who rescued
some sailers in the water who were wearing flotation suits of safety
yellow.. The chopper crew agreed that if the suits had been orange or red,
they would have missed them... They could not see the international orange
raft that was drifting nearby, but the yellow suits showed against the haze
like beacons..
denny

Old March 7th 04, 01:11 PM
Robert Moore

Cub Driver wrote

If you have ever been in the pattern with a Piper J-3, you must know
that the best color is Cub Yellow.

Probably not true. When I started flight training in Pensacola in
1958, all of the Navy's trainers (T-34, T-28, and SNJ) were painted
"Cub Yellow". By the time that I graduated 18 months later, after
extensive research, the Navy had repainted their training fleet to
the current color scheme, white and red. This is of course the same
as that used by the Coast Guard and has lasted for 45 years.

Bob Moore
Old March 7th 04, 01:24 PM
Julian Scarfe

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message
A study within the military showed that the most visible color for
identifying the shape of a plane against any background, is a solid, dark
blue...
Now, don't shoot the messenger as he has a tender hide... If you don't

like
the message, do your own research...

No shots fired. :-) Do you have a reference for the study?

I remember the RAF Tornados getting painted black all over some years ago
after similar studies. Presumably they get repainted before going into
action.

I'd hesitate to paint a GA aircraft dark on top unless it was going to spend
most of its time in the shade.

Julian