Gear Warning

Old November 17th 05, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Gear Warning

At 21:18 16 November 2005, Nigel Pocock wrote:

One problem with a recorded voice is that it sounds
like background radio chatter and your brain filters
it out (or at least mine does)
Our CFI discovered this the hard way in our brand new
DG1000. luckily landed on soft grass so no damage.

Having broadcast this fact to the entire world wide
web under your own name, you are now a marked man.
Enjoy your next check flight!

Had a similar situation today in the same glider. A
lot of radio chatter from joining powered aircraft
drowned out the quiet, almost apologetic, female voice
warning.

Got the wheel down though.

Ed.

Old November 17th 05, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 22:36 16 November 2005, Gary Emerson wrote:
So does the BGA recommend to use a pre-landing checklist
where the

spoilers are checked? If the spoilers are checked
early in the pattern
then the logic regarding gear warning systems is not
very logical.

Yes, pre-landing checks are carried out; they include
checking the gear is down. If you do the checks your
gear shouldn't be up on approach. If you don't do
the checks you wouldn't have checked either gear or
airbrakes and you'll be distracted on approach by the
buzzer. You don't need a buzzer; just carry out your
checks.

Old November 17th 05, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

While the BGA rule might make some sense landing on a grass runway (or
mud, as it is in Britain), I wouldn't like to see anyone land a nice
glass ship on our Arizona rock and gravel runways.

I am also not sure I would agree with their rationale. In my opinion,
it would be a particularly inept pilot who could not lower his/her gear
at all but the final stages of a landing approach and who might be
startled by a radio call so badly they lost control. The BGA procedure
also now leaves an immobile glider sitting in the middle of the runway
- another hazard!

Perhaps some BGA members could illuminate us on why their ruling body
considers them incapable of taking corrective action when landing?

Mike

Old November 17th 05, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 23:30 16 November 2005, Mike The Strike wrote:
[...]

I thought someone had explained. Not doing your pre-landing
checks and landing with the wheel up is inexcusable
and embarrassing, but not a big deal damagewise. At
most a bit of gel repair needed. Getting distracted
on approach, changing hands on stick, letting go of
airbrake lever, rushing to lower gear and not monitoring
the approach could, and obviously has, proved disastrous.
The inept pilot is the one who does not follow basic
airmanship routines such as checks.

Old November 17th 05, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

How about a mechanical warning, like I use on my present glider? It's a
small spring-loaded plastic clamp that is on the gear handle when the
gear is down, then moved to the spoiler handle just before raising the
gear. The clamp location is reversed for landing.

Foolproof... almost - and I'm a better fool. It was a ridge day and the
clouds were barely above the ridge. I had to use spoilers to keep from
getting sucked into the clouds. I got used to working the spoilers with
the clamp attached. Add to that, the failure to use a proper
checklist... No damage at all as it was on grass but sooo many witnesses
:-).

I'm much better at checklists now and also have an audible gear warning.
The warning buzzer is a great idea, and suggest that the BGA
reconsider their opinion.

Tony V.
Old November 17th 05, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hey Bill - You musta been the guy I saw flying down the ridge with the
gear down !
See ya, Dave

Bill Daniels wrote:
Another neat backup is GPS_LOG WinCE PDA software. It sounds a warning of
your choice by playing a .wav file when the glider descends to pattern
altitude above the terrain elevation map.

Old November 17th 05, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Pilots who can't respond to a gear warning or radio call probably
shouldn't be flying at all! This isn't a big multi-tasking job. What
would such a person do if the canopy popped open, the brake handle came
off in his hands or the spoilers opened on takeoff?

In a sailplane with a left-handed gear handle, all it takes is- brakes
closed, gear down, brakes open again. I timed it at 3 to 4 seconds in
an ASW 20.

With a right-handed gear handle, you have to close brakes, switch
hands, put gear down, switch back, brakes open, in 4 to 6 seconds. On
downwind, you have plenty of time to do this and even on final if it
isn't too short. At 50 knots, 6 seconds represents no moe than about
600 feet - say 200 meters.

BGA sounds a bit like a mother hen!

Mike

Old November 17th 05, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mark Dickson wrote:
Yes, pre-landing checks are carried out; they include
checking the gear is down. If you do the checks your
gear shouldn't be up on approach. If you don't do
the checks you wouldn't have checked either gear or
airbrakes and you'll be distracted on approach by the
buzzer. You don't need a buzzer; just carry out your
checks.

Spoiler checks are easy to get right, and become pretty automatic for
most. Landing gear is not so simple for those fly multiple gliders,
some with fixed landing gear, some with gear handles that move the
"wrong" way, etc. Plus, for those of us who land at asphalt, dirt, or
gravels strips, a gear up landing is a US$1000 or so mistake. I'll keep
my gear warning, thanks. I've only heard one once in anger, and it was
well worth the momentary distraction...
Old November 17th 05, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mark Dickson wrote:
At 22:36 16 November 2005, Gary Emerson wrote:

So does the BGA recommend to use a pre-landing checklist
where the

spoilers are checked? If the spoilers are checked
early in the pattern
then the logic regarding gear warning systems is not
very logical.

Yes, pre-landing checks are carried out; they include
checking the gear is down. If you do the checks your
gear shouldn't be up on approach. If you don't do
the checks you wouldn't have checked either gear or
airbrakes and you'll be distracted on approach by the
buzzer. You don't need a buzzer; just carry out your
checks.

For most, the gear warning buzzer will only be heard when pulling
spoilers at altitude to intentionally descend. However, it's a nice
feature to have on that day when you left the gear down the whole
flight. You won't find this mistake on short final, but most likely
very early on in the pattern where it's a quick fix and not likely to
add extra risk in the landing phase.