Come see us at Oshkosh

Old July 12th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Come see us at Oshkosh

I posted earlier in response to a message from Jay Honeck telling him
to come by our booth at Oshkosh and say high, not meaning to make a
public announcement about a new product we are introducing at Oshkosh,
but it was quickly noticed by others and I was told I was being coy.
I just didn't want to be accused of spamming the group. Well, I
guess I'll take those coy comments as an invitation to post an
announcement:

AeroLEDs is introducing a new high intensity LED wing-tip landing/
recognition light at Oshkosh 2007. If you are interested in seeing
it, come by space 413 in the north aircraft area. We will have them
mounted on a Red/White/Blue Kitfox series 7 that has an eagle graphic
on the tail. Our website is http://www.aeroleds.com

We are just getting our first batch of production units done this week
(without the last minute, would anything ever get done?) and will have
product at the show.

I believe that this is the first product of this type available on the
market. HID landing lights have been the only competition with
Halogen up to this point.

Dean

Old July 12th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:20:49 -0700, wrote in
. com:

AeroLEDs is introducing a new high intensity LED wing-tip landing/
recognition light at Oshkosh 2007.

http://www.aeroleds.com/products.html
The AeroSun is a wing-mounted LED (Light Emitting Diode) landing
light with a built-in wig wag mode in addition to its standard
operation as a landing/taxi light. The AeroSun is a very intense
light source that uses 8 high power LEDs to produce over 1200
lumens of light using 24 Watts of power.

Each AeroSun light uses less than half the power of an equivalent
halogen light while producing more usable light. The LED light
sources last up to 50,000 hours of constant operation, so you will
never have to replace this light once it has been installed. It
will outlast both Halogen and HID lamps.

Each individual light sells for $500.00, or a pair can be
purchased for $850.00.

The standard early Cherokee landing light is a #4509 (13 volts). It
is a PAR36 sealed beam lamp with a tungsten filament (C6) rated at 100
watts with an average rated "lab life" of 25 hours, and initial
maximum beam candlepower of ~110,000. About $10/each from the source
below.

There is also a Quartz equivalent lamp #Q4509 with the same
specifications except a 100 hour life and 140,000 candlepower.

Wholesale pricing:

SUNRAY LIGHTING INC.
1 Whatney
Irvine, CA 92618
(949) 452-0900
(USA) 800-8-LIGHTS
FAX "TOLL FREE" (800) 255-3141

http://sunraylighting.com/

Now:

CANDELA CORPORATION
14420 Myford Rd. Suite 100
Irvine, CA 92606
800-722-6068 West
800-922-9226 East
FAX 800-443-1460 West
FAX 800-822-8226 East

The competition:

http://www.speedmods.com/Boom_Beam/b...am_systems.htm
HID Landing / Taxi / Recognition / Ice Lighting for Aircraft

These systems are available in 14 and 28 volt versions with
pricing from $948.

Tested to DO-160D
FAA/PMA Approved Parts
Five-Year Warranty
Up to 5X the candlepower of standard lights
No filament to break

Over 500,000 candle power.
5 times brighter than a 100 watt sealed beam light.
PAR 46 (5 3/4" reflector) or PAR 36 (4 1/2" reflector)
PAR 56, PAR 64 (with adapter plate)
Now Available in both Landing and Taxi versions!
New Rectangular wing lights.
Metal Halide - Xenon - High Intensity Discharge Light System.
Very white light (like the new Lexus, Porsche, Mercury
Headlights).
The light is close to daylight color.
Warranty includes Lamp burnout
Can be left on continuously, 5,000 Hour Bulb Life
Reduces load on alternator, system uses less than 3 amps at 14
volts and less than 1.4 amps at 28 volts.
Old July 12th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jul 12, 10:26 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
[...]

Candle power is lumens/steradian (solid angle). High candle power is
good for spotlighting something at a great distance, but at close
range it means you only light up a small area in the middle of the
runway. Candlepower is used for specsmanship, but doesn't really
convey how useful the light is. Our beam angle is a 10 degree cone.

For apples to apples comparison, Halogen lamps typically put out about
1000 lumens at 100W. HID lamps are about 3000 lumens at 35W. Our LED
light is over 1400 lumens at 24 Watts.

Dean

Old July 12th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Honeck

AeroLEDs is introducing a new high intensity LED wing-tip landing/
recognition light at Oshkosh 2007.

Dang it, Dean, you had me going for a while, but for two things:

- Non-certified. Can't use it in my plane.
- Price. $850 (for 2) buys a whole bunch of Q4509s.

Good luck with it, but methinks at that price you're not going to sell
too many to the (notoriously thrifty) experimental crowd -- but I hope
I'm wrong.

Get 'em down to $250 apiece, and you won't be able to build 'em fast
enough...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 12th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jul 12, 11:38 am, Jay Honeck wrote:
AeroLEDs is introducing a new high intensity LED wing-tip landing/
recognition light at Oshkosh 2007.

Dang it, Dean, you had me going for a while, but for two things:

- Non-certified. Can't use it in my plane.
- Price. $850 (for 2) buys a whole bunch of Q4509s.

Good luck with it, but methinks at that price you're not going to sell
too many to the (notoriously thrifty) experimental crowd -- but I hope
I'm wrong.

Get 'em down to $250 apiece, and you won't be able to build 'em fast
enough...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

$250 is pretty tough to accomplish. Maybe we will get there once we
have some volume, but its hard to get costs that low initially.

Landing lights don't have very tough certification requirements. With
DO-160E compliance, they can be pretty much installed with a field
approval. We are going to work with the FAA on this. We also will
have a round PAR36 compatible round light very soon (drop in
replacement).

With these lights, you can run your landing lights 100% of the time
day or night in wig-wag mode for recognition/visiblity to help reduce
your mid-air risk... You can't do that with conventional lights
unless you want to keep replacing them all the time.

Old July 12th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Honeck

Get 'em down to $250 apiece, and you won't be able to build 'em fast
enough...

$250 is pretty tough to accomplish. Maybe we will get there once we
have some volume, but its hard to get costs that low initially.

I know I'm hopelessly clueless about such things, but why would your
bank-of-LEDs-in-a-box cost so much more than (for example) the high-
intensity hand-held LED lantern I got for Xmas last year? It's got
an equal number of high-intensity LEDs, runs on batteries, and cost (I
think) about $25... (And it's bright as daylight...)

Educate me, please, because I don't get the differences between these
things.

Thanks,
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 12th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jul 12, 12:20 pm, Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

Jay,

The LEDs in that lantern are not as high output as the ones we are
using. We are using LEDs that cost over $3.00 each and can burn up to
3 Watts per LED. I seriously doubt the ones in your lantern come even
close to that. Even though it looks bright to you at night, I
guarantee it isn't putting out anywhere near what ours is doing. Come
look at our lights running in full sunlight and bring your lantern for
comparison...

Add to that the custom machined housing/heat sink, anodization,
circuitry, mounting bracket, adhesives, wire, marketing, lower market
size, etc. etc. etc. and that explains why it is more expensive than a
commercially massed produced camping lantern.

Also, our light is specifically designed for an airplane. It will
handle vibration, shock, thermal extremes, total immersion in water,
won't interfere with your radios, etc. etc. You can drop it 10 feet
onto concrete and it will still work. You can throw it in your
swimming pool and it will still work. It is designed to last as long
or longer than your airframe.

Dean

Old July 12th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
El Maximo

wrote in message
oups.com...
Come
look at our lights running in full sunlight and bring your lantern for
comparison...

I suspect he will... He should have it Oshkosh anyway.

You can drop it 10 feet onto concrete and it will still work.

My airplane won't

You can throw it in your swimming pool and it will still work.

Again, something my airplane won't do.

Dean

You really need a better sig than that. Look at Jay's. He puts is URL in
every post.

In any event, I hope you do well with your product.

Old July 12th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

You can drop it 10 feet onto concrete and it will still work.

My airplane won't

True, but after 10 years of airframe vibration and turbulence, it
won't break. That is why it has to be that tough.

You can throw it in your swimming pool and it will still work.

Again, something my airplane won't do.

True, but if rain gets on it it won't leak and fail, same if you
pressure-wash it. It will also survive long term exposure to high
humidity environments.

Thanks for the goodwill, and I'll put a sig line as suggested.

By the way, we have an Oshkosh special price which is less than the
price on our website.

Dean
AeroLEDs LLC
http://www.aeroleds.com

Old July 12th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

Dean
AeroLEDs LLC
http://www.aeroleds.com

Try clicking on your page in the sig. It only brings up a page with no links,
at least in mine
--
Jim in NC.

Come see us at Oshkosh [email protected] Piloting 56 August 31st 07 06:08 AM
Oshkosh for a day Nathan Young Home Built 6 July 25th 05 04:07 AM
Oshkosh Dudley Henriques Piloting 2 July 11th 05 11:35 PM
How about this for GAC at Oshkosh? Paul Tomblin Piloting 7 August 13th 03 02:03 PM
CQ Oshkosh, CQ Oshkosh Warren & Nancy Piloting 4 July 3rd 03 06:42 PM