Air Traffic/Pilot Terminology

Old July 22nd 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Air Traffic/Pilot Terminology

I was recently on a flight where I was able to listen to the Pilots
speak to Air Traffic control. It was quite fascinating but I
understood very little of what they were saying. Does anyone know of
a good resource for their terminology? Also, I was wondering if anyone
knew what the following mean, I heard them used a lot.

Heavy
Bugsy

Old July 22nd 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

" wrote in
oups.com:

I was recently on a flight where I was able to listen to the Pilots
speak to Air Traffic control. It was quite fascinating but I
understood very little of what they were saying. Does anyone know of
a good resource for their terminology? Also, I was wondering if anyone
knew what the following mean, I heard them used a lot.

Heavy
Bugsy

"Heavy" refers to the aircraft class for the purpose of wake
turbulance separation minima. A "Heavy" is defined as an aircraft capable
of takeoff weights of more than 255,000 pounds whether or not they are
operating at this weight during a particular phase of flight.

"Bugsy" is an air navigation fix. These fixes are defined on air
navigation charts and are used to communicate location information with
ATC. BUGSY is at 44-43-21.550N 074-08-29.080W. The closest airport to
BUGSY is Malone-Dufort Airport at Malone, NY. BUGSY is used as a fix on
the enroute charts (high and low altitude)as well as the missed approach
holding fix for the two GPS approaches into KMAL.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old July 22nd 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GeorgeC[_2_]

Heavy means that is a very large airplane. A heavy airplane weight more that
255,00 pounds.

Bugsy is fix near Mountain View, NY A fix is an aeronautical landmark, in this
case it is where two aeronautical highways cross.

In the AIM (Aeronautical Information Manual) in the back of the book there is
dictionary of Abbreviations/Acronyms. You can get am AIM at the local airport,
or at a bookstore for between $15 -$20. You can also get for free at
http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraff...ns/atpubs/aim/

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 10:31:08 -0700, "
wrote:

I was recently on a flight where I was able to listen to the Pilots
speak to Air Traffic control. It was quite fascinating but I
understood very little of what they were saying. Does anyone know of
a good resource for their terminology? Also, I was wondering if anyone
knew what the following mean, I heard them used a lot.

Heavy
Bugsy

GeorgeC
Old July 22nd 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

You might enjoy listening to air traffic control transmissions on the
internet. Do a search, there are a number of locations available.

Old July 22nd 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

,

The AIM previously mentioned is available he
http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/AIM/AIM.pdf

The Pilot/Controller Glossary, also helpful, is he
http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/PCG/PCG.pdf

If you are really interested, the book "Say Again" published by ASA
(www.asa2fly.com) and written by Bob Gardner who also frequents this
forum, is invaluable.

As for the slang mentioned by kontiki, it shouldn't happen.
Communications should be strictly standard as defined in the
publications above. But there are humans involved...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 22nd 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

In article ,
GeorgeC wrote:

Heavy means that is a very large airplane. A heavy airplane weight more that
255,00 pounds.

Let me put a little background behind that.

Air Traffic Control is responsible for keeping a certain amount of space
between each aircraft. The exact amount of space varies with a bunch of
different factors, but it's typically several miles.

Airplanes create an invisible wake in the atmosphere, just like a boat
creates a wake on the water. And, just like the boat's wake, the
airplane's wake can be dangerous to other airplanes. Heavy airplanes
create bigger wakes, so ATC is required to give an airplane following a
Heavy some extra distance. ATC is supposed to know if a given type of
aircraft is considered Heavy, but as an extra reminder to controllers,
pilots of Heavy aircraft add the word "Heavy" to each transmission.
Old July 23rd 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Aren't "heavy's" allowed to go faster under 10,000 feet as well?

Old July 23rd 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Tina wrote:
Aren't "heavy's" allowed to go faster under 10,000 feet as well?

Not generally, as far as I know. Section 91.117 makes an exception only if
a specific exemption has been granted by the FAA or the minimum safe
airspeed for an aircraft is greater than 250 knots.
Old July 23rd 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Tina wrote:
Aren't "heavy's" allowed to go faster under 10,000 feet as well?

No.