Shipping a Radar-Advice?

Old August 24th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Al G[_1_]

Default Shipping a Radar-Advice?

A friend has recently updated his C210's avionics with a largely Garmin
panel. Among the things removed was a King RDS81 weather radar. I've found a
buyer in Florida, and have to figure out how to get it there from Oregon, as
safely as possible. We don't have to ship the pod, just the
receiver/transmitter and display. The R/T is probably 12" x 12", and weighs
about 15 lbs.

Any ideas?

I talked with our local Bendix/King Dealer in Troutdale, and he says
that he uses a box from Honeywell for about $50. He did not say how to get
one or who to talk to.

On a related note, if anyone needs a radar pod for a 210, I know where
you can get one for a nominal fee. It might make a good external/drop tank
for a homebuilt. It is about 13-14" in diameter, about 3' long, and has a
removable nose cone.

Al G

Old August 24th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Stewart

Al G wrote:
[...]

Fedex 2 day air. Antistatic bubblewrap and packing
worms.

We've done several Fedex air shipments per day, all
with electronics, for the last 12 years. I can't
remember the last time one was lost or damaged.

Avoid ground service like the plague if you're worried
about loss or damage.
Old August 24th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Al G[_1_]

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
.. .
Al G wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jim,

Just Bubble wrap? No hard box?

Does FedEx offer special handling? This would certainly be easiest.

Al G

Old August 24th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Stewart

Al G wrote:
[...]

You'll need a cardboard box. Most packing stores will
have something that will work.

Does FedEx offer special handling? This would certainly be easiest.

No need for special handling. What you might want
is to find a Fedex/Kinko's and let them pack it
for you.

Al G

Old August 24th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
smf

How much do you want for the Pod? I have a Glasair with hard point
attachments on the centerline under the plane. It might make a good mini
baggage compartment. Then again I could be mistaken for a warbird.

Steve

Old August 24th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Stewart

smf wrote:
How much do you want for the Pod? I have a Glasair with hard point
attachments on the centerline under the plane. It might make a good mini
baggage compartment. Then again I could be mistaken for a warbird.

Sounds like homeland security bait to me (:
Old August 25th 07, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

YOu are going to WAY too much trouble. I'd use a virgin cardboard box
about 2x or 3x the volume of the shipment, pack the electronics in a double
wrap of bubble wrap, put a few inches of plastic peanuts in the bottom of
the box, put the heaviest unit in the bottom, fill over the top of that box
with peanuts, put in the lighter of the two units on top of the box, fill
with peanuts and tape the box shut.

You will find that shipping by FedEx air will reduce your probability of
damage to near zero, but I'd still opt for the insurance at the replacement
cost rate.

Do NOT ship UPS. Those *******s will find a way to screw up the process one
way or another, and we ship two to three hundred packages a year.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

Old August 25th 07, 10:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

In rec.aviation.piloting Al G wrote:
We don't have to ship the pod, just the [radar] receiver/transmitter
and display. The R/T is probably 12" x 12", and weighs about 15 lbs.

One place I worked had to ship PCs across the country on a regular
basis. These were the usual mid-tower PC cases, about 8" x 16" x 16"
(20 x 40 x 40 cm). What ended up working the best was a heavy wall
cardboard box that was about 3" (7.5 cm) larger than the PC all
around, or about 14" x 22" x 22" (35 x 55 x 55 cm). One of the 22" x
22" sides was the top. There was 3" of foam in the bottom and against
the sides of the box. (Think "stiff seat cushion foam", not "foam
coffee cup.") The PC was laid in the middle of the box and another 3"
piece of foam went over it, then the box was taped shut. Once they
started using this packaging, we stopped having to reassemble each PC
when it got to the recipient.

They were able to get the foam and boxes made to order due to their
volume, but there is no reason you couldn't duplicate this with
packing peanuts. If you do use packing peanuts, put each individual
item in a plastic bag first - this keeps the recipient from having to
clean packing peanuts and little tiny pieces of packing peanuts out
of every crevice. If you're going to wrap the item with bubble wrap,
you can forgo the plastic bag, *as long as you tape up the bubble wrap*
so peanuts can't migrate into it. For electronics, you really should
use anti-static bags (silver or pink) or bubble wrap (usually pink).

Matt Roberds

Old August 25th 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
B A R R Y

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 23:05:40 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

YOu are going to WAY too much trouble. I'd use a virgin cardboard box
about 2x or 3x the volume of the shipment, pack the electronics in a double
wrap of bubble wrap, put a few inches of plastic peanuts in the bottom of
the box, put the heaviest unit in the bottom, fill over the top of that box
with peanuts, put in the lighter of the two units on top of the box, fill
with peanuts and tape the box shut.

You will find that shipping by FedEx air will reduce your probability of
damage to near zero, but I'd still opt for the insurance at the replacement
cost rate.

Do NOT ship UPS. Those *******s will find a way to screw up the process one
way or another, and we ship two to three hundred packages a year.

Good advice for packing. As another data point, our bike shop's
experience is exactly the opposite for the two shipping companies
mentioned.

One other packing tip is to not pack the box overly tight. The
shipping materials need to have a bit of give to do the job. While
it's hard to describe, the box should be full, but not stuffed.
Crumpled newsprint also works amazingly well.
Old August 25th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Frank Ch. Eigler

"Al G" writes:

A friend has recently updated his C210's avionics with a largely
Garmin panel. Among the things removed was a King RDS81 weather
radar. [...] have to figure out how to get it there from Oregon, as
safely as possible. [...] The R/T is probably 12" x 12", and weighs
about 15 lbs.[...]

The thought makes me squirm. What some here may not realize is how
fragile the radar antenna can be. There is a sticker on mine (old
King RDR160) that warns against even *touching* the movable parts. I
would not risk plain old packing peanuts or bubble wrap, if the box
being held sideways or upside down causes a load upon these parts.

http://web.elastic.org/~fche/gallery..._4423.jpg.html

- FChE

Shipping a Radar-Advice? Al G[_1_] Piloting 22 September 2nd 07 12:00 AM
shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 02:05 PM
Europe to NA shipping ADK Soaring 0 April 29th 06 12:29 AM
FS: Garmin 196 $550 + Shipping Daniel L. Lieberman Products 0 April 22nd 05 04:33 PM
Integrating onboard weather radar data with satellite-fed Doppler radar [email protected] General Aviation 3 January 9th 05 08:57 PM