ASW19b best descent rate on approach (full airbrakes)

Old April 30th 05, 07:12 AM
Robert Sharpe

Default ASW19b best descent rate on approach (full airbrakes)

Hi,

I have just received our ASW19's flight manual which says to make the
approach as follows:

"The approach should normally be made at about 46 knotes. For
turbulant air a corresponding faster speed must be flown."

I have been told:-
a) that the unmodified air-brakes have a limited affective speed
range
b) it is not worth adding the extra paddle if you maintain good
speed control.

My experience is that:-
a) I normally approach at 53 kt + half wind speed and it floats for
ages.
b) I seemed to remember that coming in at 50 kt the elevator
authourity at round out was not that good. (I do tend to round-out
late, so could be more progressive with this).

Questions:
a) 46 kts seems a little low - what do other people use ?
b) has anyone got any measured information on glide angle against
speed (with full brake).
c) is there a maximum speed you would use on approach (in high wind
conditions) in order to keep a high rate of descent and therefore a
stable configuation.

I have just got an iPAQ, etc, so will try and do some measurements
(i.e. at height take logs of full airbrake descent at different
speeds) and post the results here.

Regards,
Rob Sharpe

PS: According to the flight manual it side slips well, so will try
that as well.
Old April 30th 05, 11:41 AM
goneill

I have 400 hrs in a ASW19 ,mostly x/c, the airbrakes were modified
to double paddle after about 50 hrs.
There is a noticable improvement with the mod.
My paddock landing method was to come down through the wind
gradient 50-55 knots BUT my aim point was 5-15 meters short
of the approach fence go flat over the ground killing speed/easing
brake if necessary at a height of 6ft-2meters then at the point
where the fence VISUALLY (prob 2-5 meters short of fence)
starts going under the nose I would pull full brake ,
the ASW19 I flew at near max cockpit load with well forward c of g
and had LOTS of forward energy.I would use that momentum to
flare over the fence and touchdown FIRM but within parameters .
This possible because of the energy carried and the large wing area
which tended to soften the flare.
My average from fence to stop 60-80 meters but I still preferred
to land in an uphill paddock ,much easier nowhere near as critical.
An ASW19 is a racehorse of an aircraft ,the more you push her the
better she goes but make a mistake and she will bite hard.
gary

om...