Parachute repack questions

Old April 23rd 04, 02:13 PM
Bill Zaleski

I don't know about that speciality operation. That's not my area,
sorry.

On 23 Apr 2004 12:01:26 GMT, Don Johnstone
wrote:

I am given to understand that the military when packing
a canopy into the head box of an ejector seat use a
hydaulic ram and they have to wet the canopy first.
Have I been misled?
The canopy in my parachute is identical to those used
by the RAF.

At 22:54 22 April 2004, Bill Zaleski wrote:
It is an industry standard best practice and can be
found in most of
the military and civilian documentaion. The word 'thoroughly'
as per
the FAR's implies just that, and is not necessarilly
an interval
specifically specified by the manufacturer. I have
known and worked
with Ted Strong for over 20 years. He will tell you
8 hours minimum.
Opening (fill) time of the canopy varies with moisture
content of the
fabric.

On 22 Apr 2004 07:01:16 -0700,
(Andy Durbin)
wrote:

Bill Zaleski wrote in message news:...
Yes, ask him how he is going to comply with the regulation:

No certificated parachute rigger may pack a parachute
that has not
been thoroughly dried and aired.

Normal manufacturer's instructions call for an 8 hour
airing.

Perhaps he is airing it in advance? Hope so.

Bill Z. Master Rigger

I have had my chutes packed without 8 hour airing.
I looked through
the manuals for my Strong 303 and my Security 350.
Although both
manuals contain detailed packing instructions, I found
no reference to
a required airing period. If an 8 hour airing is required
where would
it be specified?

Andy