Lowrance 2000C vs. AvMap -- comments appreciated

Old August 9th 04, 05:02 PM
Thomas Borchert

Default Lowrance 2000C vs. AvMap -- comments appreciated

Jim,

some things I think are missing from the AvMap which, I believe, the
2000c and the Garmin have:

- international database option
- land navigation with turn-by-turn voice instruction
- sea mode

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 9th 04, 06:30 PM
john smith

Jay Masino wrote:
This weekend, I cut out a piece of cardboard with the outside dimensions
of the AvMap IV, and looked how it will fit in my Cherokee. It's a nice
size. It's actually a little less tall than my GPSMAP 195, and about an
inch or inch and a half wider. I won't be any problem. Now, I'm not
particularly worried about the basic 6 instruments, because my plane has
the pre-"T" scattered layout anyway. My 195 have been blocking my clock
for years, and the AvMap IV will too.

Get the RAM Suction Cup mount and move it up to the side of the windshield.

Old August 9th 04, 07:25 PM
Jay Masino

In rec.aviation.piloting john smith wrote:
Get the RAM Suction Cup mount and move it up to the side of the windshield.

That's an idea, but in my Cherokee, the compass is mounted in the top,
left corner of the panel, and I suspect any GPS mounted with a suction cup
in that area would block it, or atleast cause some magnetic interfence.
I have no problem partially blocking my clock. I rarely fly IFR any more.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old August 10th 04, 08:47 AM
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

I'd be surprised if AvMap didn't have an international database option --
C-Map (makers of AvMap) is an Italian company.

Nothing on it on their website, no reply to my e-mail inquiry. Speaks for
itself, IMHO.

- land navigation with turn-by-turn voice instruction

According to their website http://www.avmapnavigation.com/ , they have
street level navigation databases available for the AvMap.

But not turn-by-turn nav with voice.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 12th 04, 07:53 PM
Brian Sponcil

Actually it is on their website

http://www.avmapnavigation.com/Aviat...ontinental.asp

-Brian
N33431
Iowa City, IA

Old August 13th 04, 08:17 AM
Thomas Borchert

Brian,

Thanks! Never would have thought that "sub-continental" actually means
"other continents than the US", not "parts of the American continent".

Still no answer on a simple e-mail inquiry. Hmm.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 13th 04, 12:12 PM
Jay Masino

In rec.aviation.piloting Thomas Borchert wrote:
Thanks! Never would have thought that "sub-continental" actually means
"other continents than the US", not "parts of the American continent".
Still no answer on a simple e-mail inquiry. Hmm.

Which e-mail address did you use? I had some questions, and sent them
directly to their Aviation Manager, Bill Poirier, and got a pretty quick
response. His address is

--- Jay

--
__!__
Old August 13th 04, 03:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

I had some questions, and sent them
directly to their Aviation Manager, Bill Poirier, and got a pretty quick
response. His address is

That's the one.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)