Question of the Day

Old September 9th 03, 11:41 PM
Jim Vincent

Since mass is a constant factor on both sides of the equation, it
cancels out.

You need to compare one equation to the other. The masses are different. Yes,
for one glider, the masses cancel out, but not when comparing two different
masses, cetarus parabus.
Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ

Old September 9th 03, 11:59 PM
mm

"Jim Vincent" wrote in message
It will gain more height with ballast. The
kinetic energy is defined as 1/2*m*v squared.
[...]
The potential energy is m*g*h,
[...]
So for example, if a gldier weighs twice as much, it will
gain twice the height, or at least I think so!

Again, take out the constants. Both aircraft have the same velocity at

the
beginning, 100Kts. Assume, for the sake of argument, that they have the

same
velocity at the end, say 30 kts (I know the heavier one will stall first,

but
in a vertical pull up, the wing loading is zero, so the stall speed would

be
very close).

SO at the beginning, the delta in kinetic energy for two ships travelling

the
same speed is only proportional to the mass. Since the heavier one weighs

more,
it has more kinetic energy. At the end of the pull up, when all the

kinetic
is converted to potential, take out the constants again (g), and the only
remaining variable is h. h is proportionally more for the heavier ship.

And,
as I said before, this is not accounting for drag.

P.S. I f'in hate calcusus. R dR d theta double dot!
Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ

Wrong again. If you can't do the math right, at least stop doing it in
public.
"The only remaining variable is" not h, it is mh. mh is "proportionally
more for the heavier ship"; h is the same.

Old September 10th 03, 12:28 AM
mm

"Jim Vincent" wrote in message
Since mass is a constant factor on both sides of the equation, it
cancels out.

You need to compare one equation to the other. The masses are different.

Yes,
for one glider, the masses cancel out, but not when comparing two

different
masses, cetarus parabus.
Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ

You don't know what you are talking about.

Old September 10th 03, 01:25 AM
Jim Vincent

You don't know what you are talking about.

Yo mamma.
Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ

Old September 10th 03, 01:27 AM
Jim Vincent

Wrong again. If you can't do the math right, at least stop doing it in
public.

Yo' daddy
Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ

Old September 10th 03, 01:46 AM
Jim Vincent

Yeah, I was wrong, the mass does cancel out.

My mommy and daddy.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ

Old September 10th 03, 07:30 AM
Christian Husvik

Jim Vincent wrote:
Since mass is a constant factor on both sides of the equation, it
cancels out.

You need to compare one equation to the other. The masses are different. Yes,
for one glider, the masses cancel out, but not when comparing two different
masses, cetarus parabus.

You are confused. Can you explain what you mean by comparing one
equation to the other?

Let me try:

For glider one we have:

1/2*m1*v1^2=m1*g*h1

For glider two:

1/2*m2*v2^2=m2*g*h1

since the equations are quite similar for both gliders, of course ;-)
So comparing the two equations, you can now see that the mass,
surprisingly enough for you ;-, cancels out for both gliders.

I do hope you are not "helping" your kids doing their math-homework!

Christian 8-)